Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

DBL Light in dash- dealer unable to fix

BMWFanboi

Reactions
City
Memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'18 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD, '98 BMW M3
Hey all,

Just got called by my friendly neighborhood dealer that they were “unable to duplicate” the issue I’ve had with the DBL (headlight aiming with turns/leveling). I have had the issue for the past several months where it has been not functioning (light on dash comes on at startup, DBL not functioning while driving).

Considering they’ve had the car for over 2 weeks, i strongly suspect it is not so much that they are unable to duplicate it as much as they are unable to diagnose the problem.

So, i wanted to post and see if any others have had issues here with this feature and what the solution was so that i may humbly offer my suggestion to them in the event that the issue is still present when i go pick up the car monday.

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
The only time I've seen it mentioned anywhere online is during the winter in places where it's really cold. Otherwise, I've never seen anyone mention a true failure in the system. Is it cold where you are, could that be the issue? If not, and if it continues, I'd definitely find a new service dept.

OP
B

BMWFanboi

Reactions
City
Memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
The only time I've seen it mentioned anywhere online is during the winter in places where it's really cold. Otherwise, I've never seen anyone mention a true failure in the system. Is it cold where you are, could that be the issue? If not, and if it continues, I'd definitely find a new service dept.
Although it did start happening this winter when it was cold (this is relative as I’m located in Tennessee where is only got down to the teens-20s at worst), the issue persisted until now (currently in the 60s).

This particular department has been exceedingly unhelpful and has not communicated with me at all throughout the process. My service advisor just gives the runaround when asked why, if they were “unable to duplicate” the issue, they have been mucking about with it for 2.5 weeks. Clearly there is something wrong with the car, and they just couldn’t figure it out. Or, at least that’s how it appears to me.

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Although it did start happening this winter when it was cold (this is relative as I’m located in Tennessee where is only got down to the teens-20s at worst), the issue persisted until now (currently in the 60s).

This particular department has been exceedingly unhelpful and has not communicated with me at all throughout the process. My service advisor just gives the runaround when asked why, if they were “unable to duplicate” the issue, they have been mucking about with it for 2.5 weeks. Clearly there is something wrong with the car, and they just couldn’t figure it out. Or, at least that’s how it appears to me.
I could see if they were waiting for a part but to keep you in the dark that long and not even fix it is ridiculous. I'd definitely find another service dept., if there's one somewhat close.

It can't be THAT complicated to fix; it's likely something like a sensor. I know this is silly, but, have you tried resetting the battery? I've fixed a surprising number of small "issues" by doing that.

OP
B

BMWFanboi

Reactions
City
Memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
I could see if they were waiting for a part but to keep you in the dark that long and not even fix it is ridiculous. I'd definitely find another service dept., if there's one somewhat close.

It can't be THAT complicated to fix; it's likely something like a sensor. I know this is silly, but, have you tried resetting the battery? I've fixed a surprising number of small "issues" by doing that.
Well, i show up after being told that they couldn’t duplicate the issue, then as soon as i get in the car and flip the headlights on- BOOM. Light’s back on.

Nineteen days the car’s been here and all they’ve done is replace the drip rails on the roof for cracking paint.

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Well, i show up after being told that they couldn’t duplicate the issue, then as soon as i get in the car and flip the headlights on- BOOM. Light’s back on.

Nineteen days the car’s been here and all they’ve done is replace the drip rails on the roof for cracking paint.
It's not even my car and that pisses me off. 😠
This is why Kia service is considered a joke. Sorry man, hope you have better luck at the next dept.

OP
B

BMWFanboi

Reactions
City
Memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
It's not even my car and that pisses me off. 😠
This is why Kia service is considered a joke. Sorry man, hope you have better luck at the next dept.
yeah. Love the car itself but the dealer experience makes me very discouraged.

As an update, the headlight assembly was found to have a faulty actuator and is being replaced under warranty. Glad it’s easily remedied but the fact that this took 3 weeks is absurd haha.

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
yeah. Love the car itself but the dealer experience makes me very discouraged.

As an update, the headlight assembly was found to have a faulty actuator and is being replaced under warranty. Glad it’s easily remedied but the fact that this took 3 weeks is absurd haha.
Excellent, let's hope this is the last time you'll need service for anything other than oil changes. 👍

JR2018GT2

Reactions
City
Glen Cove
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
Just saw this issue. I recently experienced the same problem. What I did was drive to my car to the dealer with the light on, and didn’t turn the car off. They were able to diagnose the problem and replaced the headlight under warranty. Also anyone have issues with headlight stress cracks?