Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Bought a used Stinger yesterday - vibrations?

Snarson

Reactions
Country
Sweden
What I Drive
GT 2018 3.3TT
Hi everyone,

I bought a used Stinger GT 3.3TT 2018 yesterday (in Sweden they only come as a fully equiped car) having 10 000 km on the clock.

Noticed during my 300 km long trip home that the car seems to be vibrating doing highway speeds, especially 120km/h+, almost feels like the tyres is ”flat”.

Also noticed huge vibration when braking with the steering wheel bouncing back and forward.

Haven’t spoke to the dealership yet, but want to know what you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Pulsating during braking is a somewhat common defect. Dealership will need to replace the rotors.

Vibrations when driving... Could be tires, could be bent rim, could be out of balance. Dealership should fix.

Very disappointing that they would let you leave with these defects. Should have been fixed before you purchased.

OP
Snarson

Snarson

Reactions
Country
Sweden
What I Drive
GT 2018 3.3TT
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Got the car to a local wheel shop, they did noticed that the right rear wheel isn’t round (!) and the discs (rotors?) need to be replaced.

Just typical when the whole family was supposed to take the Stinger on a road trip to the Northen parts of the country (5 000km).

Can it affect the car if I drive it anyway?

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
99% sure brakes are part of your issue, the stock brakes are sub pair, read the brake thread. They have a 16k warranty, many, including me have had brakes replaced by Kia. Mine is 2018 also.
Amazing car, get it fixed and you will love it.
Could be other issues as mentioned above, just betting brakes are part of ur issue:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Got the car to a local wheel shop, they did noticed that the right rear wheel isn’t round (!) and the discs (rotors?) need to be replaced.

Just typical when the whole family was supposed to take the Stinger on a road trip to the Northen parts of the country (5 000km).

I would take the car down an get it fix before you go on your trip, the rotor they can turn to do a quick fix but the wheel they will have to order. The condition they sold you the car tells me they never test drove the car an that's a dealer who doesn't care about their costumers. You mite be able to have the wheel balanced if it's not bent to bad but I would still go to the dealer have them order you a new wheel and rotors an have them pay for it.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
99% sure brakes are part of your issue, the stock brakes are sub pair, read the brake thread. They have a 16k warranty, many, including me have had brakes replaced by Kia. Mine is 2018 also.
Amazing car, get it fixed and you will love it.
Could be other issues as mentioned above, just betting brakes are part of ur issue:)

Interestingly
The Canadian warranty for brake rotors is 60,000 kms, or 3 years.

This screenshot is directly from https://www.kia.ca/kia-warranty

warranty - canada rotors.jpg

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Holy crap, we us folk got the rear of that deal, lol!!

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Oh, that's defects, Kia not calling it a defective, the 16k/1year is wear, not defects:)

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Oh, that's defects, Kia not calling it a defective, the 16k/1year is wear, not defects:)

My dealer has confirmed that a warped / pulsating rotor is a defect, and is covered for up to 60k/3yrs. I'm OK with that

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Holy crap, we us folk got the rear of that deal, lol!!

Grrrrrr
Tell me about it......

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thanks for the reply.

That is unfortunate. However congratulations on getting a great vehicle.

The car vibrating at high speeds definitely a wheels balance issue. It doesn't cause any damage to leave it as is, but it will get annoying in such a long trip.

The car vibrating when applying the brakes is, sadly, a known problem among all Stingers. For a quick fix the dealer can resurface the disks, that will make the vibration go away for the trip, but it will come back. The solution so far has been replacing the disks and the pads with aftermarket ones.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Snarson

Snarson

Reactions
Country
Sweden
What I Drive
GT 2018 3.3TT
Thread Starter #12
That is unfortunate. However congratulations on getting a great vehicle.

The car vibrating at high speeds definitely a wheels balance issue. It doesn't cause any damage to leave it as is, but it will get annoying in such a long trip.

The car vibrating when applying the brakes is, sadly, a known problem among all Stingers. For a quick fix the dealer can resurface the disks, that will make the vibration go away for the trip, but it will come back. The solution so far has been replacing the disks and the pads with aftermarket ones.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply. Done 1000 km already. Pretty anoying doing highway speed, and the car feels very unstable because of the vibrations.

But other than that the car feels like a vibration rubber dildo on the road, I’m very satisfied 😁

G30aZ

Reactions
19K on mine and just had the rotors turned again. Just hope Kia steps up before the 28K miles.

Reactions
State
AK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD
It’s surprising to hear that a European spec car is exhibiting brake vibration. Until now, I thought that it was brake pad material deposit on the rotors from the softer US spec pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Snarson

Snarson

Reactions
Country
Sweden
What I Drive
GT 2018 3.3TT
Thread Starter #15
It’s surprising to hear that a European spec car is exhibiting brake vibration. Until now, I thought that it was brake pad material deposit on the rotors from the softer US spec pads.

Got the discs and pads replaced last week. The vibrations are gone :)

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Got the discs and pads replaced last week. The vibrations are gone :)
that is the "cure", however I hope they gave you the "new and improved" rotors. took three tries with mine.

Reactions
State
AK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD
And you’d know this, how? . No answer necessary