Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Aftermarket Transmission control unit flash?

Hapa88

Reactions
State
AZ
What I Drive
2019 GT1
I know about the ECU flashes, but was wondering if there is any one making a transmission flash to that would re-adjust the shift logic (they have them for BMWs and VWs and a few other makes). For the most part mine is good, but there are a few shifts I noticed that are especially jerky in certain conditions when upshifting or downshifting. Was hoping someone offered a fix or allowed for some customization. Any companies working this?

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
We need more computer nerd gear heads. All this computer controlled stuff is torture for garage wrenchers

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
You mite try contacting tork motorsports since they cracked the ECU, maybe they mite take on the challenge on cracking the transmission. I'm going to be calling them today, if I remember I'll run it by them.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I talk to tork motorsports an it's something they will look into, but the cost to do the RD work is expensive. If it persists Happa88 shifting hard try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes to rest the computer. If that doesn't work take it to the dealership.

Reactions
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Lap3 was playing with the TCU back in March. Haven't heard/seen anything since.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Can’t wait till cam-less engines come around, then we REALLY won’t know what to do

OP
H

Hapa88

Reactions
State
AZ
What I Drive
2019 GT1
Thread Starter #7
thing they will look into, but the cost to do the RD work is expensive. If it persists Happa88 shifting hard try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes to rest the computer. If that doesn't work take it to the dealership.
I think it's fine, it's just the Kia's transmission tuning. It isn't as refined as some of the German rivals that have been doing it for years. Don't get me wrong, the I give Kia kudos for a solid effort as the Stinger's is very good, its just not as good as say my wife's 2017 Mercedes C300 coupe and some BMWs I've driven.

In my wife's C300, when you flick the paddles and downshift 2 gears you won't feel anything whatsoever. The only way you can tell it downshifted is by watching the tach.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I do like the dual clutch that the BMW'S have, they are a lot smoother on up and down shifts. Kia probably didn't go with a dual clutch because they're trying to keep the cost down on the car. A friend of mine has a GT3 an that car is horrible in the city with it dual clutch. The stinger transmission is well built, it can handle quite a bit of torque. I just wish it would shift a little quicker.

OP
H

Hapa88

Reactions
State
AZ
What I Drive
2019 GT1
Thread Starter #9
I do like the dual clutch that the BMW'S have, they are a lot smoother on up and down shifts. Kia probably didn't go with a dual clutch because they're trying to keep the cost down on the car. A friend of mine has a GT3 an that car is horrible in the city with it dual clutch. The stinger transmission is well built, it can handle quite a bit of torque. I just wish it would shift a little quicker.
My wife’s C300 isn’t a dual clutch but it’s definitely smoother and quicker in the shifts. I don’t really need it to be quicker, I just would like it smoother and more refined.

A perfect example: I drove mine today and was in Sport mode driving a constant 45 mph in 2nd and manually shifted to 3rd.... there’s a noticeable lurch/surge forward then the shift. If it just shifted without the surge, it would be fine.

Some downshifts using manual mode are also pretty noticeable, as if the the rev-match logic is just slightly off. I honestly think it’s probably that way in everyone’s car and most don’t know any better to notice it. I was hoping Kia or an aftermarket company could update the logic slightly to improve it for smoothness.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I notice on the downshifts if the RPM is in the lower range there's not really a rev match, I do notice the lurch, it is very slight, at least in my car but I'm used to manual transmission. My Optima sx I had shifted slow, just like a normal automatic. In sport mode it's going to shift a little harder then driving in normal or eco mode.