Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

2022 Kia Stinger

Steady

Reactions
City
Bradenton
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Kia Telluride
I will be ordering a 2022 AWD Stinger. Their new 2.5L engine 0-60 time is 5.1 sec. Their current V6 is 4.8. Should I save $5,000 and order the 2.5L? I know I will be giving up the GT's adaptive suspension. I assume the 4 cylinder's suspension is tuned different but should be fine since I don't plan to track it. Also, it looks like the 2.5L will be getting Brembo brakes and all the interior options the GT will get.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Welcome, if you plan on just driving the car get the 2.5 if you plan on mods then go with the 3.3 but if you ride in a GT that has mods you won't buy the 2.5L...

OP
S

Steady

Reactions
City
Bradenton
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Kia Telluride
Thread Starter #3
What about mods for the 2.5? For less than $1,000 couldn't u add 30-40 HP? Would't the less weight of the 2.5 make the car more nimble?

Reactions
City
pleasant garden
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 g70 awd 3.3 sport.
A four cylinder will never feel like a V6. In my opinion people focus way too much on numbers and specs and don't actually consider what does it feel like.

The fuel mileage with the V6 is bad I average about 20 miles per gallon in my g70 which is a few hundred pounds lighter than the Kia stinger. I had a EcoBoost mustang as rental they make over 300 horsepower and I was able to get over 30 miles per gallon. I wonder what the 2.5 would get in real world driving.

What makes you want a 2022 versus picking one up that's on a dealer lot that you can probably get a hell of a deal on.

I was able to get over 20% off the sticker price on both the Stinger and the g70. My wife and I chose the g70 in my opinion it's the better car if you don't need the room.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
What about mods for the 2.5? For less than $1,000 couldn't u add 30-40 HP? Would't the less weight of the 2.5 make the car more nimble?
Yes you can get that HP for $1000 or less, it's not a big difference in handling between the two cars. The HP gains on the 2.5 are little compared to the 3.3, if you did a JB4 & CAI that's around $1000 on the 3.3L the car would be around 400whp

OP
S

Steady

Reactions
City
Bradenton
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Kia Telluride
Thread Starter #6
A four cylinder will never feel like a V6. In my opinion people focus way too much on numbers and specs and don't actually consider what does it feel like.

The fuel mileage with the V6 is bad I average about 20 miles per gallon in my g70 which is a few hundred pounds lighter than the Kia stinger. I had a EcoBoost mustang as rental they make over 300 horsepower and I was able to get over 30 miles per gallon. I wonder what the 2.5 would get in real world driving.

What makes you want a 2022 versus picking one up that's on a dealer lot that you can probably get a hell of a deal on.

I was able to get over 20% off the sticker price on both the Stinger and the g70. My wife and I chose the g70 in my opinion it's the better car if you don't need the room.

Lucky I'm friends with my Kia dealer so I will get invoice price on the 2022. I like the bigger screen, better interior appointments and I like the new wheels.

OP
S

Steady

Reactions
City
Bradenton
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Kia Telluride
Thread Starter #7
Yes you can get that HP for $1000 or less, it's not a big difference in handling between the two cars. The HP gains on the 2.5 are little compared to the 3.3, if you did a JB4 & CAI that's around $1000 on the 3.3L the car would be around 400whp
Would that void the warranty?

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
it depends what you want to do with the car. If you don't care about max power than the 2.5 seems perfect - same appearance, etc. I personally wanted the most power possible from the car - within reason. The car's great so I'd definitely recommend the 4cyl version to anyone interested in the car, but doesn't care about maxing out the power. I'm sure the 4cyl is lighter, a bit less maintenance (fewer air cleaners, plugs, etc.), more fuel efficient. Either way I suspect you'll like the car. Enjoy

OP
S

Steady

Reactions
City
Bradenton
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Kia Telluride
Thread Starter #9

Is the G70 a smoother ride over a bumpy road. Did u get the G70 sport?

Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
C&D's 0-60 mph test of the current 255 hp 2.0L is 6.0/6.1 (RWD/AWD). When they finally get to test the 300 hp 2.5L, the extra 45 hp should have it running in the mid 5 sec range.

That compares to C&D's 3.3L GT times of 4.4/4.6 seconds (RWD/AWD), so if you can afford it get the 3.3L. Goodluck on whatever one you get!

Reactions
City
pleasant garden
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 g70 awd 3.3 sport.
Is the G70 a smoother ride over a bumpy road. Did u get the G70 sport?
Yes and yes. Better car if you don't need the room.
My wife test drove them all she 100% agrees. I have an older friend who just purchased a BMW M4 he also agrees that the G70 is the better car.

Car was about $54,000 got it down to $41,000 out the door price was $43,000.

I should add I don't like the 2022 G70. I will be keeping this car forever .

Last edited:

Friedmike

Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Alfa Romeo Giulia
any idea on when we will see them on dealership lots? my Giulia lease is up in May. hoping to be able to see new stinger and g70 prior to making a decision.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
any idea on when we will see them on dealership lots? my Giulia lease is up in May. hoping to be able to see new stinger and g70 prior to making a decision.
Welcome, they will probably release the 2022 towards the end of 2021...

Stinger719

Reactions
City
Las Vegas
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Stinger GT1
I'll put my personal experience out there. Hopefully it helps. I've owned the rwd 2.0 and now the rwd 3.3. I'd say go with the 3.3. For some reason the 2.0 felt like an afterthought. It rattled a lot, shifted hard, and lost alignment for some odd reason. I had quite a few issues with it. There's a korean guy on youtube that tested the new 2.5 model and seemed like he didn't care for it either. The suspension felt a lot different for whatever reason. I did not get the more "nimble" feel from it either. Far from it. It was really bumpy and didn't feel planted to the ground. If I hit some slight rough spots on turns it felt like the car was going to bounce, skip, and fly off the road so I never pushed the little 2.0 on turns. I was all over the place on the freeway too. It would not track a straight line at all. Sometimes pushing me almost into the next lane. I would not drive it one handed ever no matter what speed I was at. I had no trust in that car and it's not that fast either tbh. This happened before, during, and after realignment. I took the car to 2 different dealerships and after one corrected the alignment issue both dealerships said there was nothing wrong with the car and that's how it drove. I love the 3.3 so far. And to top it off 3 days after I traded in my 2.0 it got a recall for that garbage theta II engine causing fires again. Not exactly sure about the full details on the recall but I got an alert on my Kia Access/UVO apps. If anyone knows anything about the theta engines is they've had serious issues for a long time now and lose value like no other. The Stinger was designed around the 3.3L TT engine and that's the way it should be. Trust me you'll get the 4 cylinder and most likely wish you hadn't and it's a decision that'll cost you more money down the road as with myself. Buy the Stinger for what it was meant to be and not an afterthought to appeal to a "wider" audience. Because I got such a great deal on the 2.0 I thought hey what do I need all that extra power per cost for when I can easily mod it and catch up to the 3.3. I couldn't have been more wrong in that decision. A few grand difference is nothing when compared to the overall experience and quality you're getting with the 3.3 model. I could be wrong with the new 2.5 but I'll personally never take that chance again. This is coming from someone who owned the 2020 2.0 GT Line fully loaded to the 2021 GT1. For anyone who still owns the 2.0 model I mean no disrespect. I'm just highly disappointed in the 2.0 which could be unique to that one car. The 3.3 puts a smile on my face every morning on my way too work. It's a great way to start the day. Don't cheap out and just get the 3.3. Plus anytime a real Stinger pulls up you'll wish you had one. I know I did. But you pick what you want and enjoy the car. Hopefully it doesn't suffer from the same issues I had.

Reactions
City
pleasant garden
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 g70 awd 3.3 sport.
My wife has drove all four cars Kia Stinger and Genesis G70 2.0 and 3.3. I don't think any of them drove bad the 2.0 is obviously slower.
We have a 3.3 all wheel drive G70, but I drove a 2.0 rwd G70 and it was fine just slower.

I should add a couple things I have a different mindset than many of you. I drive my cars till death so resale value means nothing to me. I would also never drive a 3.3 as a daily driver the fuel mileage is terrible. If you are going to daily drive this car and you don't want truck fuel mileage the 3.3 is not for you.

Fuel mileage and junk brake pads are the biggest issue with the Kia Stinger and G70.

Last edited:
Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
@Stinger719
I would also encourage people to get the 3.3L if they can. But a few notes ...
- Early '18 GT 3.3L models also had reported rattles.
- Lambda engines had the engine fire recall as well, as I myself had reported here (issue was some wires under the fuse box, therefore applicable to all Stingers)
- The GT-Line starts at $33,090 US and the GT $39,590 US. The $6,500 difference is more than significant.

@z/kG70
- 20+ mpg for a 365 hp sedan that weighs over 4,000 lbs is pretty good. It's competitor, the SRT Charger, only manages 17 mpg.
- Compare that to a Hellcat Charger which gets 13 mpg, now you're talking horrible. Lol

Reactions
City
pleasant garden
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 g70 awd 3.3 sport.
@Stinger719
I would also encourage people to get the 3.3L if they can. But a few notes ...
- Early '18 GT 3.3L models also had reported rattles.
- Lambda engines had the engine fire recall as well, as I myself had reported here (issue was some wires under the fuse box, therefore applicable to all Stingers)
- The GT-Line starts at $33,090 US and the GT $39,590 US. The $6,500 difference is more than significant.

@z/kG70
- 20+ mpg for a 365 hp sedan that weighs over 4,000 lbs is pretty good. It's competitor, the SRT Charger, only manages 17 mpg.
- Compare that to a Hellcat Charger which gets 13 mpg, now you're talking horrible. Lol
I average about 20. If I did everything I could maybe I could get 22.
I had a EcoBoost convertible mustang as a rental took it on a road trip makes almost as much power, and I got over 30 miles per gallon.
The BMW 340i makes more power and gets significantly better fuel mileage.

I like the car but they have to work on their fuel mileage they are behind in engineering when it comes to that department big time.

The G70 is a couple hundred pounds lighter than the Stinger.

Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
I average about 20. If I did everything I could maybe I could get 22.
I had a EcoBoost convertible mustang as a rental took it on a road trip makes almost as much power, and I got over 30 miles per gallon.
The BMW 340i makes more power and gets significantly better fuel mileage.

I like the car but they have to work on their fuel mileage they are behind in engineering when it comes to that department big time.

The G70 is a couple hundred pounds lighter than the Stinger.
The less powerful 320 hp 340i was rated at 30 mpg highway, the more powerful 365 hp Stinger GT getting 27 mpg highway. Hardly worth mentioning. C&D's test of the two cars reports 19 mpg overall for the 340i and 17 mpg overall for the Stinger. With the 340i being slower and more expensive than a Stinger GT, it's 2 mpg increase signals engineering that wasn't really ahead of the times.

The Ecoboost Stang Vert weighs 200 lbs less than a Stinger GT, but only got a C&D observed 21 mpg. All this, while being a full 1.5 seconds slower to 60 mph (6.1 sec) than a Stinger GT. Not a whole lot of advanced engineering going on there.

The G70 is lighter but also suffers from a smaller interior passenger space (94 cu ft vs. 96 cu ft) and a drastically smaller cargo area (11 cu ft vs 23 cu ft). Winner Stinger.

I purchased the Stinger GT because nothing even comes close for it's price, warranty, performance and ergonomics.

Reactions
City
pleasant garden
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 g70 awd 3.3 sport.
Yeah I think you're talking out of your end buddy.

The 340i is a faster car what the hell are you talking about?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ca...43002/2020-bmw-m340i-reliability-maintenance/

"While staff opinions vary widely regarding the comfort of the M340i's front seats, staff photographer Michael Simari took zero issue with them over of the course of 2000 miles. Including the thousands of miles we've logged to the south plus a trip east to Connecticut, our average fuel economy is holding strong at an impressive 26 mpg."

"exquisite 382-hp turbocharged inline-six"

"Ultimately, the M340i ripped off a 3.8-second zero-to-60-mph"
To summarize more powerful, faster and better fuel mileage. Almost 25% better fuel economy that is significant. Also any car guy knows that Germans underestimate the power of their engines.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ca.../kia-stinger-gt-reliability-long-term-update/

"Average Fuel Economy: 21 mpg"

Also G70 winner. The awd Kia Stinger does not have an LSD the awd G70 does.

Last edited:
Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
340i base price: $48,795 ouch
Passenger volume: 94 cu ft less
Cargo volume: 17 cu ft way, way less
0-60 mph: 4.9 sec slower
¼-mile: 13.3 sec @ 104 mph and again, slower

You can see where this is going. Stinger rocks it, sure you're on the right forum? Maybe try Beemer340i.com ;):cool: