Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

2020 AWD Stinger GT 0 - 60!

Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 Pearl Stinger GT-line 2.5L AWD
Hello again!

I've been testing this car and got my 0 - 60 times down to 4.5 - 4.6 secs (launch control, sport mode, no manual mode shifting) on my g meter that I had been using for years... road & track with very accurate results (once you learn how to calibrate it correctly). Okay, so this morning, my friend (who owns a 2015 370z manual with CAI & Exhaust mods) and I went to the same road where I always time the car. It was a nice 64 Degrees, elevation `600ft where I'm at in the San Diego area, 1/4 tank of gas and my wife (105lbs) next to me (210lbs). Now his car does around 4.7 - 5.0... depending on how well he launches. I would always beat him ... So today, I set a new record 0 - 60... actually was the first run! Car just jack rabbited and screamed through the gears to a 4.37 seconds! Finally getting that 4.4 sec time that car&driver got with a RWD GT... AWD is no slouch really... maybe on the roll because of the drivetrain loss... but not much in sport mode which supposedly puts 80% to the rear wheels...? Factory freak because I've been taking everything so far I've raced light to light (under 70mph) ... SS Camaro, Mustang GT, Alfa Romeo Guilia, 370z & BMW 335i, and no mods ... yet! :) 60' Ft time was 1.89 & 330ft time was 5.39! I've seen other AWDs hit these numbers as well winding up @ 12.88 to 12.95 in the 1/4 miles... stock! Really impressed with this car! 2020 Stinger GT AWD ... not many options (no sunroof, fancy radio system, navi, mats... on the cheaper side but a little lighter on the curb weight specs too! ;) I've owned several cars throughout the years and rebuilt a few... and my rating on this car is 5 stars! :)

Last edited:
OP
Nightshifter
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #2
Here's an iPhone capture :) Used a Digital leveler to find a decent stretch of road... make sure I wasn't going on an incline or decline...

Attachments

Last edited:

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Impressive. Get yourself a JB4 and you'll knock off a few tenths and end up loving it even more. 👍

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Nice job! I have a 20 GT RWD and think I can really get into those numbers if I'm careful. I only have K&N drop in filters but we'll see. I'll be grabbing a draggy soon and testing it. Hopefully see numbers like this.

OP
Nightshifter
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
Nice job! I have a 20 GT RWD and think I can really get into those numbers if I'm careful. I only have K&N drop in filters but we'll see. I'll be grabbing a draggy soon and testing it. Hopefully see numbers like this.
Yes I would love to see the RWD #'s. Saw a refurbished draggy for 110.00 on Amazon. Try to get the same weather conditions... temps in the 60's or low 70's even :)

OP
Nightshifter
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #6
Impressive. Get yourself a JB4 and you'll knock off a few tenths and end up loving it even more. 👍
thanks! :) Yes I was looking into a JB4 or Racechip, and most everyone is saying to get the JB4. We only have 91 Octane around here ... so I probably can only run Map 1 or maybe 2? Not that familiar with it yet :). Regap the stock plugs to ~ 0.28 as well. Getting mixed views on CAI ... the intake on the kia is very good, just drop in some K/Ns... then there's this thing with oiled filters ? Vividracing has a nice CAI setup that has a nice fit... even used the original front tubes and is black plastic to avoid heat soak from chromed versions... hmmm

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Yes I was looking into a JB4 or Racechip, and most everyone is saying to get the JB4. We only have 91 Octane around here ... so I probably can only run Map 1 or maybe 2?
You can run map2, I live in Arizona, 91oct is all we have as well. The car runs great on map2....

OP
Nightshifter
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #8
You can run map2, I live in Arizona, 91oct is all we have as well. The car runs great on map2....
You install the Denso plugs gapped to .022? or gap the stock ones any? I seen some posts from 2018, but maybe that's all been cleared up about some issues with cracked plugs, engine sputters and blips...

Ewww... BT doesn't sell to residents in California :/ Funny how many people mod their cars here... probably the biggest street racing scene compared to any other state... dunno though... and the cops don't pull anyone over for loud exhausts on obviously modded sports cars... like the Mustangs that are insanely loud around here :)

Last edited:

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
You install the Denso plugs gapped to .022? or gap the stock ones any?
Don't run the Denso plugs, a friend of mine ran those an had to replace them at 6000 mile plus I've heard of other stinger owners having to replace then at 4000 miles. I run the HKS M45iL plugs, they cost more but they last a long time. I have mine gapped at 26, they come gapped at 28, you can leave them at 28 an they'll be fine. Back when the JB4 came out owners were not changing the plugs, some owners were gapping the stock plugs at 22 to 26 an they were still blowing out plugs, bottom line is the stock plug are crap..

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Yes I would love to see the RWD #'s. Saw a refurbished draggy for 110.00 on Amazon. Try to get the same weather conditions... temps in the 60's or low 70's even :)
With the weight difference being a RWD and only a GT, I think I have the advantage over AWD in perfect conditions. Mind you, everyday scenarios will be in favor of the AWD for obvious reasons. I have the drop in K&Ns and you can tell the difference. Personally, I wouldn't mess with CAI as they suck in more hot air unless a tube is ran through in front of the intercooler/radiator. I'm thinking of the JB4 but do not want to mess with plugs. I would run the conservative map which is only about a 35 hp gain, which I'm fine with.

Wondering what owners with a JB4 with stock gapped plugs think...

OP
Nightshifter
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #11
With the weight difference being a RWD and only a GT, I think I have the advantage over AWD in perfect conditions. Mind you, everyday scenarios will be in favor of the AWD for obvious reasons. I have the drop in K&Ns and you can tell the difference. Personally, I wouldn't mess with CAI as they suck in more hot air unless a tube is ran through in front of the intercooler/radiator. I'm thinking of the JB4 but do not want to mess with plugs. I would run the conservative map which is only about a 35 hp gain, which I'm fine with.

Wondering what owners with a JB4 with stock gapped plugs think...
by the way what's your GVWR there on the sticker inside the door jam? C&D loaded GT RWD & AWD Curb Weight is 4004 & 4157 .. that's with sunroofs, harman system... sunroofs (including motors this and that) weight 60 - 80lbs extra ... more speakers adds more weight... not sure what passenger weight KIA uses... some manufacturers use 165lb ... so your GVWR - curb weight = payload ... I just put curb weight + me in the accelerator vehicle weight.. I can take it up to the weigh station on I-15 though ;) take out the manual from the glove compartment... that'll reduce weight ;) LOL

Last edited:
OP
Nightshifter
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #12
CAI gotta be careful especially with metal tubing and no shrouds or protective bottom... chromed is even worse... because of heat soak. JB4 Map2 with BT Twin Intake 91oct:

1593275670977.png

This is what they published ...

The BMS Stinger intake removes the restrictions within the factory system while retaining the factory cold air ducting, heat isolating airbox bottom, and high flow turbo inlet fittings. In addition, a stylish top half shroud is included to protect the intake from radiant engine heat. The result is dramatically improved performance, throttle response, and amazing sound. You'll finally get to hear what is going on under the hood! And the more boost you run the higher the performance gains. Some CAI intakes don't use the cold air ducting or heat isolating bottom... these are important.

Thus heat being thermal radiation in the infrared range of the EMS will be absorbed by the heat shrouds. Radiated heat primarily... not conductive or convected. Aluminum dissipates heats rather quickly as well compared to iron and especially chrome LOL!

Last edited:
OP
Nightshifter
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #13
Don't run the Denso plugs, a friend of mine ran those an had to replace them at 6000 mile plus I've heard of other stinger owners having to replace then at 4000 miles. I run the HKS M45iL plugs, they cost more but they last a long time. I have mine gapped at 26, they come gapped at 28, you can leave them at 28 an they'll be fine. Back when the JB4 came out owners were not changing the plugs, some owners were gapping the stock plugs at 22 to 26 an they were still blowing out plugs, bottom line is the stock plug are crap..
Thanks Spider55... great info :)

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
by the way what's your GVWR there on the sticker inside the door jam? C&D loaded GT RWD & AWD Curb Weight is 4004 & 4157 .. that's with sunroofs, harman system... sunroofs (including motors this and that) weight 60 - 80lbs extra ... more speakers adds more weight... not sure what passenger weight KIA uses... some manufacturers use 165lb ... so your GVWR - curb weight = payload ... I just put curb weight + me in the accelerator vehicle weight.. I can take it up to the weigh station on I-15 though ;) take out the manual from the glove compartment... that'll reduce weight ;) LOL
LOL That driver's manual is the difference between a win and a loss. The GVWR is 5004 lbs. I'd have to take it to a scale house here in town to see what it actually is. Between RWD and AWD, 153 lbs is a good amount. Also, the additional of a sunroof adds weight. I'd say it's close to a 200 lb difference between AWD GT2 and RWD GT. C&D acheived there 4.4 time with a GT2 if I am not mistaken. That's quick considering KIA advertised 4.7. We all know that was for insurance purposes though :LOL:

OP
Nightshifter
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #15
Best time ever today! Okay, did another 0 - 60 this afternoon with just me in the car. Normally I was testing with another passenger. So with 3/4 tank of some gas from Shell(not that it matters any... maybe?) just me in the car and about 90 degrees out... first run... not rushed.... 0 - 60mph in 4.35 sec. 0 - 50 was in 3.27. 0 - 40 was in 2.42. 0 - 30 1.60. So this run was about a 150 lbs less weight considering the extra passenger wasn't present. Oh and no manual in the glove compartment! :) If there was some way to launch at around 4000 rpm, I bet that would shave 1/2 second off the 0 - 60 time... with the AWD that is not RWD.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Nice job NightShifter. My best with Draggy is 4.62 with a passenger and 40 psi in the wheels. Dealership had them at that PSI. Will be lowering a bit so more traction is had. Looking to get into the low 4.5s, maybe even a 4.4. We'll see!

OP
Nightshifter
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #17
My wheels are all @ 43 PSI right now after they're warm. Wonder if there was a way to launch at a higher rpm (rather then do a neutral drop LOL ... won't do that anyway).

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
My wheels are all @ 43 PSI right now after they're warm. Wonder if there was a way to launch at a higher rpm (rather then do a neutral drop LOL ... won't do that anyway).
Yeah I would definitely take some out...there will be a flat spot on your tires before long. If stock tires, see the door sill manufacturer sticker and it will have on there the recommended PSI. I believe it states 35 PSI all around. When wanting grip and times, a lower PSI will yield more grip. However, if they are too low, and it doesn't allow any sort of slip, that could slow you down as well. Gotta find a sweet spot