Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Windscreen Wipers: How to turn off auto operation?

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Guys: I',m trying to figure out how to turn off the auto function on my windscreen wipers. I've read the Owner Manual (pp. 4-130 to 4-133) and I can't see any info at all relating to switching from auto mode to manual mode.

When I adjust the speed of the intermittent wipers, I see the dash flicks up info that shows that there is a manual mode available and that my car is set to auto. I've had a go at twiddling all of the switches that I can think of to switch from auto mode to manual mode but so far I've had no success. When I set the wipers to infrequent intermittent that's where I want them to stay. I don't want the auto function deciding that I need the wipers flapping across the screen at maximum speed because the auto system thinks that the drizzle is really heavy rain.

So I hope that somebody can explain how to change the wipers to Manual Mode. Thanks if you can.

PAH

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Guys: I',m trying to figure out how to turn off the auto function on my windscreen wipers. I've read the Owner Manual (pp. 4-130 to 4-133) and I can't see any info at all relating to switching from auto mode to manual mode.

When I adjust the speed of the intermittent wipers, I see the dash flicks up info that shows that there is a manual mode available and that my car is set to auto. I've had a go at twiddling all of the switches that I can think of to switch from auto mode to manual mode but so far I've had no success. When I set the wipers to infrequent intermittent that's where I want them to stay. I don't want the auto function deciding that I need the wipers flapping across the screen at maximum speed because the auto system thinks that the drizzle is really heavy rain.

So I hope that somebody can explain how to change the wipers to Manual Mode. Thanks if you can.

PAH
Pretty sure your car is not equipped with intermittent wipers. The higher trims get auto in place if intermittent.

What I believe you have:

1. Mist - single wipe
2. Off
3. Auto - adjustable sensitivity
4. Low
5. High

I know this didn't help, but I believe that is what you (and I) have.

Last edited:
OP
P

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Thread Starter #3
DJL. Thanks again for your help. You could be right. Mine's the 330S poverty pack. The reason that I suspected that I might be able to turn off the auto function is that an LCD on the dash shows AUTO ON-OFF when I turn the wipers to intermittent. That's probably not proof that I can turn off the auto function. There was light rain this morning. I was trying to set the wipers to the longest time gap intermittent setting ... and they kept jumping through to the shortest time interval and then to constant wipe (both low and high speed).

How does the rain sensor work? Does it detect rain drop impact? Or does it see raindrops on the glass?

Thanks again.

PAH

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
It uses an LED light shined at an angle towards the windshield glass. There is an emitter and a receiver.

When water is on the outside of the glass, the light refracts differently and the light receiver knows there is water on the sensing area.

It's pretty simple actually. Uses infra-red light so you can't see it with your eyes.

The sensing area is small, near the rear view center mirror. windshield_wipers_rain_sensing.jpg Venkataraju-Rain_Sensor_Pic.jpg automotive-electronics-in-automobile-electronic-control-unit-25-638.jpg

OP
P

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Thread Starter #5
DJL. Thanks for that useful info. That sets me for an experiment. If I apply car polish or Rainex to that area of the windscreen it might prevent beads of water ... and that might slow the wiper frequency down. I'll give it a try.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
DJL. Thanks for that useful info. That sets me for an experiment. If I apply car polish or Rainex to that area of the windscreen it might prevent beads of water ... and that might slow the wiper frequency down. I'll give it a try.
Rain -X or similar product definitely reduce the performance of the rain sensing.

I use rain -X on my windshield (not just the sensing area) . Fresh application applied today as the weather was nice where I live (+10 C)