Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

To Film or Not to Film to protect paint?

SO_Stinger

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD
Just wanted to ping the forum to see if anyone has any thoughts about applying clear protective film to the body (or parts of it) to protect the paint job from chips from things like rocks or errant dogs jumping up on the rear? We're in an area where they use lava rock in winter (and also salt as of 2018) and the dealer's collision shop recommended it - quoting a price of anywhere between $1,200 (partial) to $2,400 (total). Any past experience with this or any current experience with your new Stinger? Thanks!

OP
S

SO_Stinger

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD
Thread Starter #3

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
In my opinion there's no need to install film on the whole car, just protect the areas which are more likely to get damaged from regular driving in your area. Usually the front, sides and part of the rear bumper are protected.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
There's no need to do the whole car, just the front areas is sufficient.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I agree with the above statements, you don't need to protect the entire car. They're trying to sell you something that's not really needed. I would suggest you do the entire hood, front fenders, mirror caps, door cups and the upper part of the rear bumper. Other areas you might consider is doing the headlights too.

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
Yes definitely do the clear bra if you plan to own it long term. I would suggest using Xpel film.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Volcanic rock? That should disintegrate paint. I would think that you could do the front and then use mudguards to help prevent spraying the sides. Regardless, I'd definitely find competitive bids. That kind of work by a dealership is often done by the less-experienced, etc.

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
[MENTION=370]SO_Stinger[/MENTION] did you get it installed yet?

OP
S
Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD
Thread Starter #10
I believe that I have done enough research and talking with professionals to have earned a degree in PPF! Tonight, we decided to move forward with a local installer who has 15 years experience and works with XPEL Ultimate. He took a lot of time to answer our questions, show us his software program and cutting machine and came with good references. He also is certified with XPEL and used to work with 3M products but feel that they are inferior. We'll go with partial coverage - bikini cut on the hood. I still think taking really good care of it without the film was a viable option based on assessing rock chips (lack of them) in our other cars but we decided it was worth the risk of not knowing what the next 10 years will bring. Thanks for asking and follow up!

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
I believe that I have done enough research and talking with professionals to have earned a degree in PPF! Tonight, we decided to move forward with a local installer who has 15 years experience and works with XPEL Ultimate. He took a lot of time to answer our questions, show us his software program and cutting machine and came with good references. He also is certified with XPEL and used to work with 3M products but feel that they are inferior. We'll go with partial coverage - bikini cut on the hood. I still think taking really good care of it without the film was a viable option based on assessing rock chips (lack of them) in our other cars but we decided it was worth the risk of not knowing what the next 10 years will bring. Thanks for asking and follow up!
Glad to hear, let us know how it turns out.

Freddie87

Reactions
City
Aurora
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Ceed SW
I was very upset that my old car was all chipped and scratched. Therefore, I decided to take the new car to the center for pasting cars. They made me a full pasting of the entire body with the f-Performance paint protection film, now I am calm and I see that external factors do not spoil the paintwork.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1

stowman2

Reactions
City
Surprise
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2021 Kia Stinger GT2
I just got this done on my Stinger, looks great.

ht_addict

Reactions
City
Hamilton
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT Limited
Had mine done at a local tint shop where i got my previous car tinted. Got the Prestige package for $1200 with Window tint thrown in for free.

Attachments