Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

ABS, TCS, and most assists not working

Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 GT1 AWD
Hey all! Been having intermittent issues with my ABS, TCS, and most assists disabling/re-enabling randomly.
It's a 2018 GT1 AWD, purchased used in Jan 2021.
This started after about 6 months/ a few thousand miles after purchase.

Managed to finally get it to my dealer (not where I purchased it) while the issues were happening, and they saw a ton of codes, mostly relating to the Body Control Module (BCM).
Once they took a look at it, they reported that the TPMS sensors were missing (I knew this when I bought it), and decided that was the best place to start fixing things.

I've never had a bad TPMS sensor disable any safety features on a car before, so naturally, I'm hesitant to spend $800+ usd on "well, let's rule this out".

I did some reading, and decided to have a different, non-dealer shop look at the ABS sensors, wheel speed sensors, and front left wheel bearing (there's a mild steering wobble at highway speed, and I've heard unsettling noises from that wheel before, but that issue has since stopped).

There was no play in the wheel, and they weren't able to find anything on a basic inspection of the wheel hub, owing to its all-in-one construction.
The tech also reported codes he'd never seen in a car before, theorizing they were proprietary:
- C120202 WSS LF NO SIGNAL
- C1627581 LF RF LR RR WSS NO DATA
- "Lots of BCM codes", just as before.

So then, no data from any of the wheel speed sensors, even though the speedometer works fine?

I have manually tested the ABS and TCS, and can confirm that they do not work when the dash is lit up (see pic).

Any idea what could be the issue here, or where I should look next?
I'd really like it to be safe to drive again.
I'll note that I only have basic maintenance experience, and currently have no place or tools to do any diagnostic/repair work myself.

Thanks in advance!

stinger-warning-lights.jpg

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Wheel speed sensor.

You need to hook up and OBD2 reader and switch to live data, and then put the car in drive and move forward a bit and see which sensor is not sending signal.

You should see 4 inputs one for each wheel, when the car moves you will see those inputs indicate the approximate speed at which each wheel is rotating. The input that stays on zero indicates the faulty sensor.

Keep in mind that the speed sensor is pressed in to the wheel hub, meaning that in order to replace the sensor you need to purchase the hub.

Had the same problem and that's how I was able to diagnose it.

Rob

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Managed to finally get it to my dealer (not where I purchased it) while the issues were happening, and they saw a ton of codes, mostly relating to the Body Control Module (BCM).
Once they took a look at it, they reported that the TPMS sensors were missing (I knew this when I bought it), and decided that was the best place to start fixing things.

I've never had a bad TPMS sensor disable any safety features on a car before, so naturally, I'm hesitant to spend $800+ usd on "well, let's rule this out".
Who decided to start with the completely unrelated TPMS system?
The TPMS system is not required or connected to any of the systems you are having trouble with.

Many people run TPMS seasonally, as they do not want to purchase 2 sets of sensors for winter/summer tires.

Str8bizns

Reactions
City
Miami
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Rwd
Wheel speed sensor.

You need to hook up and OBD2 reader and switch to live data, and then put the car in drive and move forward a bit and see which sensor is not sending signal.

You should see 4 inputs one for each wheel, when the car moves you will see those inputs indicate the approximate speed at which each wheel is rotating. The input that stays on zero indicates the faulty sensor.

Keep in mind that the speed sensor is pressed in to the wheel hub, meaning that in order to replace the sensor you need to purchase the hub.

Had the same problem and that's how I was able to diagnose it.

Rob

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
I have been dealing with this exact issue for about a month. I ran the obd2 code reader and got right front speed sensor. I am parked in front of the dealer having just purchased the bearing sensor and decided to do further research and ran upon this thread.
I have the bearing sensor in my hand. Can I change that bearing sensor without replacing the hub? It can’t be that I have to replace the entire hub for a sensor can it? I hope someone sees this post and replies with some useful stuff information. Thanking in advance.

Mik

Reactions
City
Calgary
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Stinger AWD GT 2021
Hey all! Been having intermittent issues with my ABS, TCS, and most assists disabling/re-enabling randomly.
It's a 2018 GT1 AWD, purchased used in Jan 2021.
This started after about 6 months/ a few thousand miles after purchase.

I did some reading, and decided to have a different, non-dealer shop look at the ABS sensors, wheel speed sensors, and front left wheel bearing (there's a mild steering wobble at highway speed, and I've heard unsettling noises from that wheel before, but that issue has since stopped).

There was no play in the wheel, and they weren't able to find anything on a basic inspection of the wheel hub, owing to its all-in-one construction.
The tech also reported codes he'd never seen in a car before, theorizing they were proprietary:
- C120202 WSS LF NO SIGNAL
- C1627581 LF RF LR RR WSS NO DATA
- "Lots of BCM codes", just as before.

So then, no data from any of the wheel speed sensors, even though the speedometer works fine?

I have manually tested the ABS and TCS, and can confirm that they do not work when the dash is lit up (see pic).

Any idea what could be the issue here, or where I should look next?
I'd really like it to be safe to drive again.
I'll note that I only have basic maintenance experience, and currently have no place or tools to do any diagnostic/repair work myself.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 4946
Did you end up resolving the issue?

I encountered a similar problem with my 2021 Stinger AWS. We live in a cold climate, and I left it for a week while I went to Mexico. Upon my return, the ABS, TCS, and other electronic parts stopped working. I took the car to my mechanic, and he mentioned intermittent issues with a speed sensor, we couldn't reproduce it while watching sensors while driving, it seems to work as intended. He cleared the codes, and they disappeared for a day or so, but the problem recurred after some driving. At the dealership, they suggested it could be due to a battery discharge, but the battery seems okay, and I kept it on maintenance mode for days. Once it got warmer, the warnings disappeared, and everything seems to work fine.

I'm not sure if this is related to cold temperatures or icing, but it's really scary when all the systems stop working when you need them the most. just wondering if this something common or should push harder on dealership to investigate and replace