Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Water/Meth kit anyone?!

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
I've been doing some research and the benefits of a Meth kit are undeniable (higher octane, cooling and cleaning the intake valve). After looking at the different kits available, seems like the (NEW) Stage 2 Snow Performance kit with a rear mounted tank is perfect, it will ramp up the flow of the meth with more boost rather than just an on/off type setup.

Has anybody installed a meth kit on the stinger yet? I know kiacruzer (Jose) has one installed, if your reading this please share your setup details and tips etc.

Would appreciate if anybody can share their experience before I take the plunge.

OP
STINGER
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Thread Starter #2
Just installed the Snow Performance STG 2 kit with the braided lines, I went the extra mile and got PTFE (Teflon) hoses from ANfittingsdirect.com. The braided hoses from Snow are just fine, I wanted to get hoses from ANfittings directly for a few reasons, mainly that it will last longer and I wanted black hoses for a cleaner install, plus I wanted the hoses to be exact length rather than wrap the excess hoses. Install was straight forward, took me a few days because I had to fabricate a few things but all in all it went well.

I went with nozzle #2 which is fairly small since I am not tuned or modded yet, as I just want the meth for the cooling and cleaning aspect at the moment. The intake temps are running much cooler now, I use to peak at 55+ C after a 2nd to 5th run, now I am barely hitting 45C. The car doesn't feel more powerful, but it doesn't lose power after a few runs due to the intercooler heating up.

Will post pics later.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Great info. Subscribing for the photos.

OP
STINGER
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Thread Starter #4
Some pics of the kit installed. You can see the intercooler cold pipe is actually quite small (60mm). I installed two stage meth, but I am only using one at the moment. The main nozzle is installed immediately after the intercooler, the second nozzle is also before the AIT sensor. So they are located far enough to get the meth/water to atomize before getting into the engine.

The kit comes with self taping screws, I didn't want to drill into the body so I fabricated a small wooden piece that attaches to 3 screws that are available near the battery as the base for the pump and solenoid. The meth feed line exits through the grommet that the battery cable exits from and then goes parallel with the cable all the way to the front passenger fender well. The feed line then wraps around the inside of the fender well behind the well cover and then T's off for the two stages, stage two has another solenoid that is activated as per my adjustment.

The electric lines go through the inside of the car tucked under the side sills all the way to the glove compartment to the control unit, the boost line and second stage solenoid lines go through the passenger side grommet and into the engine bay fuse box area and tucked nicely to the side of the engine compartment making them barely visible. I also used a fuse tap so that I don't cut into any of the wire and tapped into the rear seat power outlet fuse. I left the gauge in the glove box for a cleaner look.

Attachments

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Great install. Now its time to upgrade the Intercooler.

OP
STINGER
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Thread Starter #6
Great install. Now its time to upgrade the Intercooler.
Thanks, I am just waiting on Wagner. I followed up with them yesterday and they said still no indication on when they will produce anything for the Stinger. Sadly I was hoping they would at least indicate the timeframe they require and what they plan to produce other than the intercooler (Ex. CAI, downpipes etc). No hurry on my part, going to do the exhaust/downpipe combo next, maybe wheels and spreek lip/sideskirts if the budget permits [burnout]

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 3.3TT Kia Stinger
I've been doing some research and the benefits of a Meth kit are undeniable (higher octane, cooling and cleaning the intake valve). After looking at the different kits available, seems like the (NEW) Stage 2 Snow Performance kit with a rear mounted tank is perfect, it will ramp up the flow of the meth with more boost rather than just an on/off type setup.

Has anybody installed a meth kit on the stinger yet? I know kiacruzer (Jose) has one installed, if your reading this please share your setup details and tips etc.

Would appreciate if anybody can share their experience before I take the plunge.
We have a kit we got ready to go sitting on the shelf as well. Just waiting for the right time to need to install it.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thanks, I am just waiting on Wagner. I followed up with them yesterday and they said still no indication on when they will produce anything for the Stinger. Sadly I was hoping they would at least indicate the timeframe they require and what they plan to produce other than the intercooler (Ex. CAI, downpipes etc). No hurry on my part, going to do the exhaust/downpipe combo next, maybe wheels and spreek lip/sideskirts if the budget permits [burnout]
Check out the guys at Jonny Tig Industries. Their kit looks great and they have been doing a lot of research on it.

OP
STINGER
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Thread Starter #9
Check out the guys at Jonny Tig Industries. Their kit looks great and they have been doing a lot of research on it.
His stuff is great, will probably get his stuff if Wagner doesn't deliver when I am ready to purchase.

OP
STINGER
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Thread Starter #10
Did two high speed runs, one with and without the WMI for comparison.

Both runs were from a stand still using launch control and shutting down at +/- 235km/h (146mph), also both runs started with the same Air Intake Temp 42c (107f) for a fair comparison.

Runs started with 30c (86f) Ambient Air and 42c (107f) Air Intake Temp, at the end of both runs the one with the meth peaked at 36c (97f) vs. 49c (120f) without WMI. Bear in mind that I am only running the second smallest nozzle (#2 100ml/min) at 60% duty cycle only with a 50/50 water/meth mix, anymore duty cycle and the car runs extremely rich with the stock tune, since the stock tune is already very rich as is.

Below are the captures from the DashCommand OBD2 Reader at the end of each run.

Attachments

Last edited:

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Excellent work and great info.
I thought you were using a LAP3 chip? Did you disable it for this test?

There is almost a 1 psi difference between your first run and the second one. Did you let the car cool down after the run?

It's crazy how rich the engine is running at those RPM's

OP
STINGER
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
Thread Starter #12
Excellent work and great info.
I thought you were using a LAP3 chip? Did you disable it for this test?

There is almost a 1 psi difference between your first run and the second one. Did you let the car cool down after the run?

It's crazy how rich the engine is running at those RPM's
My car is completely stock other than the lowering springs and WMI, my friends car which is identical to my car has the LAP3 and Jun exhaust.

I let the car cool between runs, at the start of both runs the Intake temp was the same. The PSI is not steady, it is always going up/down a few points. At the time of capturing the pic it was a bit higher than the other run, but in reality they are both the same.

I agree, extremely rich, kills the cars upper RPM.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Yo, I have a legit question as a person who doesn't fully understand WMI kits... Does it need to be installed so close to the throttle body/intake manifold? If the purpose of alky injection is to atomize/vaporize the alcohol (a process that draws its energy, or heat, from the surrounding area), wouldn't it be better to install it just in front of the intercooler? The higher the heat of the air, the greater the delta that can be achieved, and the intercooler then acts as a depressurization area which further improves vaporization.

Of course, this is all in theory because I've never worked with alky injection. I understand its principal, but have never really understood where it works best in a forced induction environment.

Thanks in advanced for whoever answers! This sure beats out adding weight to the front with a bigger intercooler if the weight split is already 52/48... [^]