Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Volkswagen Arteon R Coming To Fight Kia Stinger?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
https://carbuzz.com/news/volkswagen-arteon-r-coming-to-fight-kia-stinger

If there’s one thing we came away with while slingshotting the 2019 Arteon through mountain roads east of Santa Barbra, California during the vehicle's first drive event, it’s that Volkswagen’s newest sedan is a thrill to drive fast. Thrilling enough, in fact, that we left wishing Volkswagen would build an Arteon with a stiffer suspension and more horsepower to push the model to its full potential.
So when Volkswagen of America’s soft-spoken senior manager of product and technology communications, Mark Gilles, sat next to us at our lunch stop, we peppered him with questions about potential new variants while our Arteon’s piping hot brakes cooled. What he told us is promising. According to Gilles, "Volkswagen has been toying with the idea of bringing an Arteon R to the European market."

Whether that go-fast version of the Arteon would make it to America, though, is another matter. The reason Volkswagen isn’t sold on bringing an Arteon R to the US has to do with its price. Since a base Arteon SE FWD starts at $36,840 and the range-topping SEL Platinum R-Line with 4Motion goes for no less than $47,705, it’s reasonable to expect an Arteon R to start in the low to mid $50k mark.

"In the past we’ve had trouble selling a $50k+ Volkswagen in America,” said Gilles, referencing the Phaeton sold from 2002 to 2006 that failed spectacularly in the US. Another reason for the apprehension is that the Arteon's delays mean Volkswagen hasn’t had time to gauge how Americans like the standard 2.0-liter fastback before jumping in with a second version. That isn’t the case for Europe since the Arteon has been on sale in there since 2017.

But even if Volkswagen decides to build an R in the first place, it still has to figure out what engine it’ll use. The Arteon’s 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder already makes 268 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque, not much less than the 288 horsepower the Golf R’s 2.0-liter turbo four makes. Personally we’d like to see a potential Arteon R make somewhere around 400 horsepower, which makes the rumored VR6 motor a perfect fit.

Another option could be the 2.5-liter inline-5 in the Arteon’s corporate cousin, the Audi RS3. It already shares the Arteon's transversal orientation and can likely meet its packaging constraints as well. For the time being, we’ll just have to wait and see if Volkswagen lets on a bit more about the Arteon R or pray that our spy photographers catch one testing in the wild.

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Silver Kia Stinger GT
Pretty sweet considering the Golf R's motor is very tuneable

Reactions
City
Needham
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
21 Miata club (me), 19 GT1 (wife)
I had a GTI. It was a POS. It used 3 quarts of oil between 10K oil changes, had a slight leak of coolant that dealer was never able to find, but had me putting in anti freeze once a year, it had the loudest creak I have ever heard from a sunroof 9 trips to the dealer to fix and was developing some rust on the rear hatch. I only had it 3 years. On the plus side the handling was pretty good. The dsg could have been good but the gearing was too tall and the up shifts too quick. Lugging the engine to save me gas is not cool. If I wanted to save gas I wouldn't have got the GTI. I absolutely hated that car. I would never ever buy another VW

It also had massive amounts of turbo lag. If you are driving a Stinger and say I don't mind turbo lag then I'd say you haven't felt real bad turbo lag go drive a VW 2.0L that is the king of turbo lag. It was very difficult to know what you were going to get when you pushed the pedal. It was like push the pedal nothing,nothing wait for it then boost. It was a very bad combo with FWD because the power would come late exactly when you had the least amount of traction. I hated that car.

Also don't put it past VW to make R an appearance package like they did on the Passat