Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Visibility Question

mzones

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
1999 Lexus GS 400
Hey folks. I can't say I'm a Stinger owner yet but I am looking at a couple of options and I'm hoping you would be so kind as to offer input.
I'm considering a used '18 Silky Silver GT1 with red interior (which is really my color preference) or a '19 white GT1, also with red interior. When test driving them the visibility seemed a bit limited out the rear, and somewhat out of the sides as well. The '18 does not have blind spot warning and the '19 does. So I'm wondering how important that feature is, or do you just get used to those spots after driving for a while?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Hey folks. I can't say I'm a Stinger owner yet but I am looking at a couple of options and I'm hoping you would be so kind as to offer input.
I'm considering a used '18 Silky Silver GT1 with red interior (which is really my color preference) or a '19 white GT1, also with red interior. When test driving them the visibility seemed a bit limited out the rear, and somewhat out of the sides as well. The '18 does not have blind spot warning and the '19 does. So I'm wondering how important that feature is, or do you just get used to those spots after driving for a while?

If you think it's a big concern then you should get it. I'm not bothered by rear visibility but I've had friends complain about it when they drive my car.

Reactions
City
Northern
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 GT2 AWD
Rear visibility?
We don't need no stinkin' rear visibility!
The throttle is your friend [rockon]

In all seriousness tho, you get used to it (sort of). I really like the side mirrors. While driving forward, the Blindspot Alert becomes your BFF. Backing up is a cinch with the camera and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 AWD
Better then...

Moustang
Slowmero
Challenger
Tesla model 3

It?s always relative. Heck, my ford exploder has MASSIVE A pillars. I couldn?t see cars on my right front side if I was turning left onto a street.

You get used to it.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD

I'm used to limited rear visibility. That's not to say I'm comfortable with it when backing up. The camera and sensors help a lot with that.

I'm in the U.S. and have blind spot warning on my '18 GT2. That said, I learned a long time ago how to set up side mirrors. A simple search on the internet should find it. But basically, properly set, you should be able to see a vehicle in a lane next to the car move from rearview mirror to sideview mirror to window and never have an angle/position when the vehicle is not visible in one of those three places. Too many people adjust their side mirrors so they can see the side of their own car, thinking that's the right way to do it. It seldom ever is.

Good luck with your purchase decision!

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT
Outward visibility is not an issue in my case. The rear-view camera helps a lot when reversing and attempting to get as close as possible to an object.

Blind spot problem is alleviated with the convex mirror. I'm not one to rely on the blind spot monitoring; my Stinger GT is equipped with such feature but I don't use it. I still use the old-school method.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
If you are not used to having reduced rear visibility I suggest you get the car with the package aid that will make your driving more comfortable and easier.
In my case I am used to the limited visibility, specially from the rear view mirror, so it was not a deterrent, I did however get the car with all the sensor aids.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
rear visabilty is a little lacking but that is what side view mirrors are for. (where's the winky emoji) I'm usually scanning forward for popo, they won't get me from the back

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Outward visibility is not an issue in my case. The rear-view camera helps a lot when reversing and attempting to get as close as possible to an object.

Blind spot problem is alleviated with the convex mirror. I'm not one to rely on the blind spot monitoring; my Stinger GT is equipped with such feature but I don't use it. I still use the old-school method.
Exactly. I should have mentioned, always turn your head and look before changing lanes!

OP
mzones

mzones

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
1999 Lexus GS 400
Thread Starter #10
Great! Thank you all for your input.
I hope to report back soon with a new car.

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD Red
When test driving them the visibility seemed a bit limited out the rear, and somewhat out of the sides as well.
Agreed. Initially, reduced rear visibility was a shock. After three months of ownership, I've got used to it. When reversing, the side mirrors and rear view camera are essential.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2005 Mini Cooper S

I'd recommend getting the blind spot warning. I was used to a car that had a narrow B-pillar and the Stinger's is substantially larger. I still turn my head and look, but the blind spot warning light gives me extra confidence when switching lanes.
That being said, I actually waited until 2019 and stepped up to the GT2. I didn't need the extra horsepower of the GT (but it's fun nonetheless). What I really wanted was the 360 camera view on the GT2. It makes it so much easier when maneuvering into tight parking spaces!

Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
Better then...

Moustang
Slowmero
Challenger
Tesla model 3

It�s always relative. Heck, my ford exploder has MASSIVE A pillars. I couldn�t see cars on my right front side if I was turning left onto a street.

You get used to it.
Very true

HawaiiPD

Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
In my GT, I don't carry any passengers, so I removed the three rear head rests that partially block the rear window. Got a
much view out the rear.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT1
I read this thread prior to making my purchase last week. I am 6'1 and havent any visibility issue. In fact, the visibility is noticeably improved over the 2014 Nissan Maxima i traded in on the sides. The rear window is small but not a factor, when driving down the road looking at it through the rear view mirror you forget how small it is.