Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Valve stem cleaning issues

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Guys. A few thoughts on keeping valve stems clean.

I've got two bottles of Castrol Group 4 full synthetic oil. My Kia dealer recommends NOT using it. This may be the issue. Stingers need an oil with low evaporation to reduce oil film feeding through the PCV and onto valve stems. Correct?

I see that some are using catch cans to reduce carbon buildup on valve stems. Will fitting a catch can affect the Kia 7 year warranty? Any chance of a photo or two of the tee point and the catch can mounting point?

What do Kia dealers do to remove valve stem deposits? And do they do this at every service?

Reactions
City
pleasant garden
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 g70 awd 3.3 sport.
The oil would be fine probably better than what they are putting in it anyway. I personally prefer Pennzoil Platinum synthetic very very good oil.
The dealerships are not doing anything about deposits on the intake valves.

There are products you can use that come in the can that you apply through the intake system to help clean the back of the intake valves.

I have two other vehicles that are direct injection one has about 115,000 miles on it it is naturally aspirated I've only ran a cleaner through the intake system one time no problems.
The other one has about 15,000 miles on it it's turbocharged no issues with that one either.

I use Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil in everything. I use a premium fuel injector cleaner at least once per oil change of course this doesn't help the back of the intake valves but it does help keep those injectors clean. Which is important on a direct injection engine. I have seen far more direct injection failures than issues with deposits on the back of intake valves.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
P

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Thread Starter #3
Thnaks z/kG70.

How often does Kia (as opposed to the dealer) specify the use of Injector Cleaner and Intake Manifold / Valve Cleaner?

I guess that the dealers might try to flog injector and intake manifold cleaners at every service?

What's Kia likely to say if an owner asks if it's OK to install an Oil Catch Can? Would it affect the 7 year warranty?

PAH.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Adding oil catch cans does not void your warranty, with the fuel system an injectors just run ZMAX in your fuel every 6 months or every year. That will clean your fuel system from your tank to the top of the pistons..

OP
P

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Thread Starter #5
I can think of a scenario where a catch can might void the Kia warranty. If an owner buys a catch can without baffles, fabricating and fitting a home made baffle substitute. A small piece (loose screw or piece of stainless steel wool used as a baffle etc) is sucked into the engine.

Reactions
City
pleasant garden
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 g70 awd 3.3 sport.
If you are worried about it take it off before you bring it in for a warranty repair.

In all my years of car ownership I've never had to bring a car in for engine work anyway.

I really can't tell you what the dealership tries to do for service because I don't let anyone work on my car unless it's free.

I believe in the owners manual it says every 6,000 miles to use a fuel injector cleaner. They mention nothing about using a intake system cleaner, I don't believe any manufacturer does.

Last thing we have a 10 year warranty on the engine and transmission in America if you buy new. Don't know how it works in another parts of the world

Last edited:
OP
P

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Thread Starter #7
Thanks z/kG70. I'd like to see Kia fit port fuel injection to the V6 Stinger to give the inlet valves a wash. A bit like the V8 Mustang.

I don't have a catch can fitted. I am trying to figure out if it's a critical issue or if the factory servicing is good enough to prevent sooty inlet valves becoming an issue. If I fit a catch can, I like to brand with the bracket designed for the Stinger, but it's a tad pricey.

Reactions
City
pleasant garden
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 g70 awd 3.3 sport.
Well I don't know what good that does for the current vehicle you have. I will drive my Genesis G70 to the wheels fall off I never sell nor trade in a car. As I've mentioned before I have three vehicles with direct injection two of them being turbocharged and direct injection none of them have issues.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk