Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

UVO app not getting updates from the car

Reactions
City
Wake Forest
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT2 (CERSIL/RWD)
Anyone know why the app might not be getting updates from the car? It worked a couple times the first few days and hasn?t received an update from the car since. I?m now over 1,300 miles.... but not according to the UVO app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mjsteelega
Reactions
City
Wake Forest
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #2
I am also very interested to see what type of data this section of the app will produce.

Reactions
State
DC
Country
United States
Do you have it connected to your home WiFi, or a hotspot via your phone? I don't believe there's a cellular card installed, so it needs external connectivity of some sort.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Correct. Unfortunately the US spec does not come with the 3G enabled system, so you will have to connect it to your home WiFi or phone hot spot.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Correct. Unfortunately the US spec does not come with the 3G enabled system, so you will have to connect it to your home WiFi or phone hot spot.
Close but not quite.

The vehicle will update the app when you SYNC the UVO system with your phone. Here's the procedure to sync it:1 - go into UVO on the head unit, 2- plug your phone into the usb port, 3 - push the button to run a diagnostic scan, 4 - click the button to send the report.

The app will now be up to date for miles, trip information, and system information. *Big Cheesy Grin*

Reactions
State
DC
Country
United States
Close but not quite.

The vehicle will update the app when you SYNC the UVO system with your phone. Here's the procedure to sync it:1 - go into UVO on the head unit, 2- plug your phone into the usb port, 3 - push the button to run a diagnostic scan, 4 - click the button to send the report.

The app will now be up to date for miles, trip information, and system information. *Big Cheesy Grin*
What is the point of connecting the car to home WiFi or hotspot then? Seems kind of out-dated to require a hard wired sync, unless it at least happens automatically when the phone is connected to the USB data port. But still...WiFi?

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
You are exactly correct! LOL

WiFi in vehicles is a sales pitch and is completely worthless. Any vehicle that has LTE WiFi is charges you a monthly premium AND has data limits that you have to watch. It's duplicating your cellular service that you already pay for. The only reason that Kia's have a WiFi router in them is solely to say that they come equip with WiFi.

I NEVER connect my car's Wifi to anything and I'm as technologically in tune as anyone that I know.

OP
mjsteelega
Reactions
City
Wake Forest
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #8
Wow.... ok, so a bit manual, but fairly easy to execute.

Thanks [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION]

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Wow.... ok, so a bit manual, but fairly easy to execute.

Thanks [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION]

Always [MENTION=238]mjsteelega[/MENTION]! Here to help!

P.S.- Nice car, by the way! LOL

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
If you have 4G on your cell phone, you can create a virtual wifi hotspot and connect your phone through that. It will eat your bandwidth allowance, but you can use it for spot checks.

Reactions
State
DC
Country
United States
If you have 4G on your cell phone, you can create a virtual wifi hotspot and connect your phone through that. It will eat your bandwidth allowance, but you can use it for spot checks.
Spots checks of what?

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Spot checks of data you can't get directly from the onboard digital readout.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
It seems the app can't synch or save your parking location if you have Android Auto running. I assume Apple Carplay is the same way.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
It seems the app can't synch or save your parking location if you have Android Auto running. I assume Apple Carplay is the same way.
Correct, you have to push the UVO button. When the car asks if you'd like to connect to UVO just push yes.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Sorry, but push what Uvo button?

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Sorry, but push what Uvo button?
[MENTION=328]Kazz[/MENTION], sorry, this is my mistake. LOL

So, there's a "Favorite" button with a Star on it. I always program that for the customers UVO. That will enter the UVO screen with the apps associated to UVO. Then push the press the parking location button and it will ask if you'd like to connect to UVO.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Will that take the phone out of Android Auto/Apple Carplay?

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Will that take the phone out of Android Auto/Apple Carplay?
Android Auto, yes. You go back to the home screen and click the connectivity button on the home screen and it will reconnect to Android Auto.

Apple Car Play, no.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
I need to spend some time with this. The days of hopping in your car and going or shutting it off and leaving are over. Always have to futz with tech on the way in and now, apparently, on the way out!

OP
mjsteelega
Reactions
City
Wake Forest
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #20
Yeah, [MENTION=328]Kazz[/MENTION] I?m with you. I am sure there is plenty of technical challenges in getting this stuff to work in the background, but when I push that start/stop button after parking, I want to get out and get where I?m going. Having to launch an app and push a another button to send info seems kinda of a PITA!