Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Underbody "flapping" noise at 50+mph

mfc1337

Reactions
City
Perkasie
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 GT1 AWD
Hi all,

New owner of a "new to me" 2018 Stinger GT1 AWD. Car has been great, but it's got a noise that I unfortunately didn't notice until after I bought the car. It sounds like a flapping noise somewhere under the engine/transmission area when the car goes over about 50mph. I suspect it has to do with one of the underbody shrouds/deflectors. I took a peak underneath, all the bolts holding the front and rear shrouds are there and tight but it is missing the circular oil filter access cover. Do you think the filter access hole being uncovered could cause the shroud to flap from the air at speed?

Thanks

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Hi all,

New owner of a "new to me" 2018 Stinger GT1 AWD. Car has been great, but it's got a noise that I unfortunately didn't notice until after I bought the car. It sounds like a flapping noise somewhere under the engine/transmission area when the car goes over about 50mph. I suspect it has to do with one of the underbody shrouds/deflectors. I took a peak underneath, all the bolts holding the front and rear shrouds are there and tight but it is missing the circular oil filter access cover. Do you think the filter access hole being uncovered could cause the shroud to flap from the air at speed?

Thanks
Welcome & congratulations, it sounds like one of the underbody legality panel's not installed right probably the front one.

OP
mfc1337

mfc1337

Reactions
City
Perkasie
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 GT1 AWD
Thread Starter #3
So quick update on this. I really thought it was one of the underbody panels but definitely not the case. I was able to put the car up on a friend's lift and made sure they were all fastened tightly. The noise has started to get more severe and actually feels like something with some weight to it oscillating up and down and hitting the floor. You can actually feel it through the pass side floor or resting your hand on the center console/shifter. I'm suspecting it's driveline related, maybe a driveshaft/carrier bearing issue. Strange for that to happen on a car with 11k miles, but it's at the dealer now so hopefully I'll find out more soon.

OP
mfc1337

mfc1337

Reactions
City
Perkasie
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 GT1 AWD
Thread Starter #4
Update part 2...So as I kept driving the car the problem was getting worse. I took it into Carmax for them to look at (barely made it there as the vibration/noise was getting very severe over 50mph). Carmax sent the car out to a Kia dealer who found it needed a new transfer case(!) They also said there was no ETA on parts availability so the car could be sitting for quite some time. Because I was still in the 30 day window I decided to return the car to Carmax.

I got lucky and found a white 2019 GT1 at a local dealership and just picked it up this weekend. A few more miles (11k vs 30k on this one), but the car is in better shape and there's a couple extra features the 2019s come with like ventilated seats and wireless phone charger. This was a giant PITA but in the end I think I ended up with a better car.

Attachments

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I'm glad everything worked out for you. I know parts are extremely hard to come by, I know a guy that waited 8 months for his car to be fixed.

Reactions
State
CT
Country
United States
good for you, carmax sucks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Stinger Discussions 8