Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Stock Tire Rim Questions

Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
I went through the tire specific forums, if I missed the answers I am sorry.

I have GT1 RWD staggered stock rims

1. Can I buy a used set of rims and put the larger rims on front to lose the staggered set up, will it work?
2. Any downside to question 1, no clue why staggered would be preferred? Thinking ability to rotate tires would save money over time.
3. On the stock rims would 275 fit? Anyone know how wide yo can go on them?
4. If I have to stay staggered what is widest I could go on front?

I think stock is 225 on front and 255 on rear.
Thanks ahead of time for any feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
OP
Chris71
Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #3
I was going to buy to rear rims and run all four the same. Do I lose anything? Thoughts? Will the stick out or are there spacers on the smaller front wheels? Just did not want to look for and buy the extra rims if they were going to stick out in front and look stupid:)
I'm gonna get about 16-18k off these summer tires I was trying to figure out a way to keep good traction but extend life of tire at least t 25k
Or is it just that these tires are the softest of the soft?

I would love some advice...what tires to look a if you still wanted grip but maybe little longer life or if going standard on all rims so I could rotate.

I'm not a tire/rim guy so just look for options.

Thanks

OP
Chris71
Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #4
Oh, thank you for the thread, saved that one, good info

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Corvette Z06, 2018 Stinger GT
Personally I prefer the staggered setup over the squared because it looks better. The good side of running squared is that you can rotate the front to back to make the tires last longer. While you'll get better overall grip, with wider tires up front is you're going to see a minor reduction in the turning radius.

Last edited by a moderator:

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
See answers below.

1. Can I buy a used set of rims and put the larger rims on front to lose the staggered set up, will it work?
You could, however offset may be an issue as the front calipers are much bigger than the rears.

2. Any downside to question 1, no clue why staggered would be preferred? Thinking ability to rotate tires would save money over time.
A staggered setup is always preferred on a vehicle to maintain better traction and also improve handling. Specially on the Stinger, since even in AWD form it is RWD based.

Negative. Even on the Stinger's widest factory wheel, which is the rear, the widest you are able to fit is a 265. The factory 255 is already sitting flush with the wheel lip.

That would very much depend on the wheel and the offset. However there are some owners that have been able to fit 255 up front without problems.

Correct.

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
(y)

See answers below.

You could, however offset may be an issue as the front calipers are much bigger than the rears.

A staggered setup is always preferred on a vehicle to maintain better traction and also improve handling. Specially on the Stinger, since even in AWD form it is RWD based.

Negative. Even on the Stinger's widest factory wheel, which is the rear, the widest you are able to fit is a 265. The factory 255 is already sitting flush with the wheel lip.

That would very much depend on the wheel and the offset. However there are some owners that have been able to fit 255 up front without problems.

Correct.

OP
Chris71
Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #8
Good info, will keep what I have:) but I do notice the 225 tires are not flush with the rim like the rear so guessing could go up a little?

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Yes and no.

The factory 255's are a perfect fit for the rear factory wheels.

The fronts could also run a wider size, a 245 will fit great. However when changing the widths of the tires you will also be changing the sidewall size as well. So basically for a 255/35/19 (oem size rear) the sidewall measures 3.5". In the case of the front tires, the factory size is a 225/40/19 the sidewall measures 3.5".

If you look at the numbers you can see why KIA decided to use those tire sizes, the sidewall measures the same and maintains a leveled ride height.

OP
Chris71
Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #10
Yes and no.

The factory 255's are a perfect fit for the rear factory wheels.

The fronts could also run a wider size, a 245 will fit great. However when changing the widths of the tires you will also be changing the sidewall size as well. So basically for a 255/35/19 (oem size rear) the sidewall measures 3.5". In the case of the front tires, the factory size is a 225/40/19 the sidewall measures 3.5".

If you look at the numbers you can see why KIA decided to use those tire sizes, the sidewall measures the same and maintains a leveled ride height.
Man you are good:)

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Just put on a set of 19x8.5 rims on the stock staggered Pilot Sport 4s tires, fit great. I’m obsessed with the rims I got, TSW Chronos which have a black chrome face which matches the trim :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Chris71
Reactions
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT