Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Songs in albums in alphabetical order!?!?!?!

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
HK audio system. USB stick synchronized with Windows Media Player lossless files. The good news is that the music sounds great.

The bad news is that the system is displaying songs on albums in alphabetical order instead of the proper order. The song files themselves (when you look on the stick) all start with a two-digit number, which would normally alphabetize automatically, as it does on the computer. What insane process is the car doing to remove the numbering and then resort to unwanted alphabetical listings? No one would ever want alphabetical song listings within an album. You either want the proper album or shuffle, in which case you don't care about the order.

iPod works as expected, in the proper order.

Is this happening for others, or just a quirk of something I am doing?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
HK audio system. USB stick synchronized with Windows Media Player lossless files. The good news is that the music sounds great.

The bad news is that the system is displaying songs on albums in alphabetical order instead of the proper order. The song files themselves (when you look on the stick) all start with a two-digit number, which would normally alphabetize automatically, as it does on the computer. What insane process is the car doing to remove the numbering and then resort to unwanted alphabetical listings? No one would ever want alphabetical song listings within an album. You either want the proper album or shuffle, in which case you don't care about the order.

iPod works as expected, in the proper order.

Is this happening for others, or just a quirk of something I am doing?
It happens to me, I'm too lazy to rename the files.

OP
M
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Thread Starter #3
It happens to me, I'm too lazy to rename the files.
I just realized that if you go in via "Files" instead of "Album," it works normally. So definitely a bug since, as mentioned, there is no reason anyone would want alphabetical order when in album mode and the songs already have properly numbered file names.

Is there any ripping software that is so incompetent it doesn't put the song number at the beginning of the file name??

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
I just realized that if you go in via "Files" instead of "Album," it works normally. So definitely a bug since, as mentioned, there is no reason anyone would want alphabetical order when in album mode and the songs already have properly numbered file names.

Is there any ripping software that is so incompetent it doesn't put the song number at the beginning of the file name??
Thanks for the tip, couldn't remember we had that feature. Which software are you using?

OP
M
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the tip, couldn't remember we had that feature. Which software are you using?
I was just using Windows Media Player, but thought there was a problem, so tested CUE Ripper. Now I have to go back and try the WMP-ripped files, because they probably work the same way. The problem is the car, not which software you use. As I said, is there a ripper in the world that doesn't put song numbers at the beginning of the file name? I'll report back once tested, but I expect it will behave the same way. I was automatically trying to sort by "Album" because that's what I always do on the computer, iPod, or in every car I have had for umpteen years.

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
I've tested two software for creating FLAC and they both put the numbers up front.

OP
M
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Thread Starter #7
I've tested two software for creating FLAC and they both put the numbers up front.
I doubt you'll find one that does not. The question is why (or even how) does the Stinger's mulitmedia system manage to ignore those numbers when browsing by Album?

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
I doubt you'll find one that does not. The question is why (or even how) does the Stinger's mulitmedia system manage to ignore those numbers when browsing by Album?
I think Kia thinks that most of us will be using MP3.

OP
M
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Thread Starter #9
I think Kia thinks that most of us will be using MP3.
It has nothing to do with MP3, unless you are telling me that MP3s do sort by song number under Album. If they do, then it confirms 100% it is a simple software bug. They forgot to add the other compatible (and that play perfectly) extensions besides MP3 to the sorting code.

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
It has nothing to do with MP3, unless you are telling me that MP3s do sort by song number under Album. If they do, then it confirms 100% it is a simple software bug. They forgot to add the other compatible (and that play perfectly) extensions besides MP3 to the sorting code.
No what I meant is Kia thinks most people just throw a bunch of MP3's into a single folder and don't take the time to separate them by albums. I'm with you on not recognizing the number is a bug.

OP
M
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Thread Starter #11
No what I meant is Kia thinks most people just throw a bunch of MP3's into a single folder and don't take the time to separate them by albums. I'm with you on not recognizing the number is a bug.
Well, even if you do the dumbest, low-effort ripping of using WMP, it sorts by album, and any MP3 software does the same. It would seem they just missed a routine related to the other file extensions.

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
[MENTION=653]Marc Collins[/MENTION], I haven't dive too deep into this yet, but I wonder if editing the FLAC metadata might be a way.

OP
M
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Thread Starter #13
[MENTION=653]Marc Collins[/MENTION], I haven't dive too deep into this yet, but I wonder if editing the FLAC metadata might be a way.
So MP3's sort properly by song number in Album mode? This is a FLAC and WMA issue? I don't think so, but will await word from someone who uses MP3's.

Kiwi

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
New Zealand
What I Drive
2018 GT Sport
So MP3's sort properly by song number in Album mode? This is a FLAC and WMA issue? I don't think so, but will await word from someone who uses MP3's.
It's happening with MP3s too. I'm experimenting with filename changes right now, but I have a suspicion that it's using the track name metadata but not the track number, which would explain why I am seeing my filenames (all with 2 digit numbers at the front) being ignored when using the album browse mode.

OP
M
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Thread Starter #15
It's happening with MP3s too. I'm experimenting with filename changes right now, but I have a suspicion that it's using the track name metadata but not the track number, which would explain why I am seeing my filenames (all with 2 digit numbers at the front) being ignored when using the album browse mode.
It doesn't matter what type of file it is, the system has a programming flaw. I recently got the latest map/UVO update and although a couple of small issues were fixed, this is not one of them.