Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Questions about Map updates and firmware updates

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
It's very unfortunate and nearly unforgivable that the firmware and map update software are bundled together (you can not buy just the firmware update).

The firmware should be separate and free, and the map updates could be for sale... But they are bundled together...

My question - will this card work in someone elses car? Or is it somehow locked to my car?

Anyone know?
If you are local to Toronto or Newmarket and wanna try it, I would sell it cheap (25% of retail seems about fair)

Not a copy, not a clone. It's 100% original
Yes you can try before you buy

Software is specifically for a 2018 model Stinger
Version 13 software.

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Silver Kia Stinger GT
It should work on any vehicle.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I understood it to initially work in any Stinger w/Nav, yes. But once installed it could not be used in any other car in the future. I don't know that anyone's tried it, though.

Reactions
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT1 AWD
Unless i missed something, based on the install instructions here https://www.kia-gpsmap.us/media/images/manual/Kia_Gen5.pdf , i think you have to enter your VIN to get an activation code, that you type into the touchscreen during installation, so i'm sure they certainly have a mechanism to only apply the update to one car, and i'd bet that's what they do.

OP
Djltoronto
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Thread Starter #5
The card I have has never been inserted....

So it should work in any car

OP
Djltoronto
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Thread Starter #6
That activation code you get you never enter into your head unit. That code is solely for getting access to a download link.

This is a hard card - not downloaded.

Reactions
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT1 AWD
That activation code you get you never enter into your head unit. That code is solely for getting access to a download link.

This is a hard card - not downloaded.

Oh, interesting... not sure why they would do it that way, unless there is a reason I can't clone that card onto $5 SD cards off amazon.... I wasn't suggesting it wouldn't work in any *one* car, more that it couldn't be re-used, but now i'm not so sure.... :devilish:

OP
Djltoronto
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Thread Starter #8
Oh, interesting... not sure why they would do it that way, unless there is a reason I can't clone that card onto $5 SD cards off amazon.... I wasn't suggesting it wouldn't work in any *one* car, more that it couldn't be re-used, but now i'm not so sure.... :devilish:
I am looking for a home for this one single virgin card.

Reactions
City
Palisades Park
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Why are they selling this firmware/ map update when you can download it for free? Just did my 2018 stinger gt1. It was free. Do your research people. Don’t be scammed. Lol

Reactions
City
mountain lakes
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Sringer GT AWD
Why are they selling this firmware/ map update when you can download it for free? Just did my 2018 stinger gt1. It was free. Do your research people. Don’t be scammed. Lol
Please share and help the forum out on how to do it. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk