Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Question about 10 yr extended Full Warranty

roverny

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
Hi all,

When I bought my stinger they tried to sell me a complete 10 year warranty covering everything.

I told the wife I'd keep the cost under a certain number so didn't bite. However, I am interested as I've had awful luck with cars.

When my dad bought a Prius a while ago he also didn't get the warranty at purchase and about 8 months later found it online from a dealer in Michigan (we live in Oregon) for half the price!!

Does anyone know of anything like that for the Stinger?

Thanks!

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
The Stinger comes with a 10 year warranty already, not sure why you want to get anything else.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
All Kias come with a 10 year 100k mile power train warranty. A 5 year/60k mile basic warranty, 5 year/100k mile anti-perforation warranty and a 5 year/60k mile 24hr roadside assistance warranty. Are you looking to add to the basic warranty?

Reactions
City
Northern
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 GT2 AWD
That's not entirely correct. Audio / Nav / Entertainment / Battery is only warranted for only 3 years / 36k miles.

Regarding Aftermarket Extended Insurance Policies (called WRAP Policies):

* Dealerships make HUGE profit off of these, sometimes greater than from the sale of the car.

* I purchased one of these with my new Stinger from the dealer for $3,500 (seemed like a good idea, at the time), then read the fine details of exclusions, and cancelled the coverage within 10 days (I was given 30 days to cancel without suffering a fee). I received confirmation of cancellation, however, two months after purchasing, I am still waiting for the return of my $3,500! Buyer, beware of dealership greed!

* If you buy online (i-search "automobile wrap policy"), a fairly comprehensive policy can be found for less than ~$2,000. Make certain it INCLUDES electronics / nav / etc. Check the exclusions carefully!

* These are NOT warranties, but insurance policies, which typically have a deductible ($50, $100). They can be used at any "certified" mechanic shop, so certainly a KIA dealership should qualify. However, you must get repairs pre-approved by the underwriter before doing the repairs ... or, in an emergency, pay the mechanic up-front, and hope a reimbursement is approved after-the-fact.

As I plan on owning my GT2 for ~10 years, I will be buying an extended WRAP policy (online) as soon as the dealership reimburses my $3,500. Too many electronic doo-dads & onboard computers to risk issues after the 36th month of ownership!

K8AR

Reactions
State
AR
Country
United States
Hi all,

When I bought my stinger they tried to sell me a complete 10 year warranty covering everything.

I told the wife I'd keep the cost under a certain number so didn't bite. However, I am interested as I've had awful luck with cars.

When my dad bought a Prius a while ago he also didn't get the warranty at purchase and about 8 months later found it online from a dealer in Michigan (we live in Oregon) for half the price!!

Does anyone know of anything like that for the Stinger?

Thanks!
Is this an aftermarket warranty? More details on the warranty would be great.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
That's not entirely correct. Audio / Nav / Entertainment / Battery is only warranted for only 3 years / 36k miles.
I pretty much just copied whatever was in the Stinger dealers pamphlet. If it?s not in there it?s on them

Reactions
City
Northern
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 GT2 AWD
The "2018 Stinger Warranty and Consumer Information Manual" (a 112-page booklet provided with the new car), page 3, details the KIA Warranty Program Coverage. I will try to upload a photo of that page ... (apologies if it doesn't work)

2018 KIA Stinger Warranty.jpg

I had heard (incorrectly) from a different dealer about the "10 yr / 100k mile" sales pitch. I contacted KIA America by email (owners.kia.com), and they informed me that KIA does NOT offer any 'extended' warranty, only that which is stated in the above referenced KIA Manual.

BTW, the 10 yr / 100k mile Powertrain Warranty is for the ORIGINAL OWNER only ... subsequent owners are only offered the 5 yr / 60k mile Powertrain Warranty.

Yes, I was told lots of bull from the dealership sales guy and the finance manager (which is why I initially purchased the WRAP coverage policy), but after reading the policy's exclusions realized that they would say anything to make that lucrative sale!

Reactions
City
Northern
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 GT2 AWD
So, the short answer is ... if you want "coverage" beyond what KIA offers, you will need to purchase an aftermarket Insurance Policy (it is NOT a warranty). My limited experience is that it is MUCH less expensive to shop and buy online in the comfort of your own home, rather than be pressured at the dealership to purchase a lesser-quality policy at twice the going rate!

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
So, the short answer is ... if you want "coverage" beyond what KIA offers, you will need to purchase an aftermarket Insurance Policy (it is NOT a warranty). My limited experience is that it is MUCH less expensive to shop and buy online in the comfort of your own home, rather than be pressured at the dealership to purchase a lesser-quality policy at twice the going rate!
It's important to know that, while your dealer tried to rip you off, many do not over price.

HawaiiPD

Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
I bought the highest level of policy the dealer offered for $2100.00. 10 year or 120 months.
The finance manager countered with a sales price for the '18 GT 3.3 TT for $38, 139 + tax and license.

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
I bought the highest level of policy the dealer offered for $2100.00. 10 year or 120 months.
The finance manager countered with a sales price for the '18 GT 3.3 TT for $38, 139 + tax and license.
[MENTION=1337]HawaiiPD[/MENTION] what does the highest level policy offer? Does it include wear and tear items like brakes?

HawaiiPD

Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
I don't think so. Or the drive belt.

celwin

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Infiniti
I bought the samething for $2000. It covers everything minus wear and tear items like tires, brake pads, belts etc. I made sure I read what is not included before I bought it. I too plan on keeping the car more than 7 years; and wanted coverage for primarily the electronics and technology in this car.