Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

New refrigerant

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
So, it’s news to me that R134a is not the standard anymore. I have a can of refrigerant that I was using to top off my other cars and realized that it wasn’t fitting the low pressure port on my Stinger. Come to find out it’s a newer style called R1234yf. Ugh. Never even occurred to me that there’s a newer style.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Yes, It seems like they change it every few years, the only reason I knew it was a friend of mine told me plus it's more expensive..

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Correct. R1234yf has been out for a few years, 2011 or 2012 IIRC.
Also why are you needing to top off?
Then AC system is a completely closed loop, where the gas does not escape or evaporates. The only time where a refill is required is when a critical component in the AC system is replaced and the system had to be drained in order to perform the work.

OP
CKeeler

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #4
Correct. R1234yf has been out for a few years, 2011 or 2012 IIRC.
Also why are you needing to top off?
Then AC system is a completely closed loop, where the gas does not escape or evaporates. The only time where a refill is required is when a critical component in the AC system is replaced and the system had to be drained in order to perform the work.
I usually try to buy a small bottle every spring for my other cars that run 134 since they don’t get driven a lot. I was noticing that my a/c doesn’t seem to be as cold as my other cars. I just wanted to check it and see where it is. I’ve noticed in the past and trusted mechanics have told me that A/C systems that don’t get used tend to lose Freon over time. I drive my Stinger pretty much everyday which is how I noticed that it doesn’t seem to be blowing as cold as it used to.