Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

New owner in East TN - '20 Snow White Pearl GT2 AWD Stinger - Wow!!

Reactions
City
Knoxville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD Snow White
I just bought probably my most favorite car I've ever purchased! I didn't even know about this model and all the specs till about 2 weeks ago and I try to pay attention to what's out there. I'm not sure how I missed it, but I did. So I was trolling on YouTube and I stumbled on to a video and the Stinger was mentioned and then I started searching and fairly quickly saw a couple of the reviews and then I saw the Throttle House vid with the Mustang GT and the Stinger and at that point I had to go take a test drive.

I stopped at the dealership one afternoon and took a test drive and I have to say I was hooked immediately! The Torque and general great handling combined with comfort, because I am an older and good sized guy, had me hooked instantly. I'm in outside sales and drive a fair amount and I was looking to get something that is practical with some decent size and fun to drive. I'm also a performance enthusiast and have a tuned and modded 2010 Camaro SS that is our weekend fun car that we bought new from my wife's father that was a Chevy dealer for years. It's a sentimental car for my wife because it was one of the last cars her dad got her before he passed, and she's driven Camaro's he's gotten her all her life. The new Stinger will eat our Camaro's lunch off the line, from a roll that's a different story but i have to say this Stinger is easier and more comfortable to drive overall.

My wife loves the new Stinger too and can't believe how nice and fun it is. So Hello to everyone! And I can't wait to learn more and share with everyone. This car will be a long term work horse for me and I'll be slamming a bunch of miles on it so the reliability and warranty will be greatly appreciated.

Take care my new friends!

All the best,
Clutch K

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Welcome @ClutchKargo There's a lot of info in this forum, One thing you need to do is purchase a oil catch can. Watch videos on youtube, GDI turbo engines OCC are a must.. Here's a video on one type of OCC..

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Welcome. You will absolutely love this. Like you, it wasn’t on my radar, but then I took a test drive, and I had to hold myself back from purchasing on the spot. I had to keep a straight face during the test drive not to show just how much I was enjoying it. Anyway, while I’m not in outside sales, the thing I love most about this car, is that even after very long drives, I’m not uncomfortable or sore. It is so damn nice as an all rounder. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
What I Drive
Stinger GT AWD
... I'm also a performance enthusiast and have a tuned and modded 2010 Camaro SS ... The new Stinger will eat our Camaro's lunch off the line, from a roll that's a different story ...
Go apples to apples and mod the Stinger GT, it will have no problem taking the SS from a roll!

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Congratulations and welcome! Post up some pics when you get a chance.

OP
ClutchKargo
Reactions
City
Knoxville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
Go apples to apples and mod the Stinger GT, it will have no problem taking the SS from a roll!
Well I'm already looking and interested, so my question is, for a piggy back setup is the JB4 the goto unit or is there another better option? I'd like to not change too much right off the bat at this point since I just got it. The thought of just plugging in a few wires and tucking the brain up by the fire wall and having more fun is what I'm looking for at this point. I'd rather not change spark plugs either yet if I can get away with that for now. I'm fine with adding a OCC I understand that and have no problem and I'll research that but I would like some of your opinions on the piggy back units available. So what are my best options guys? Your experience and knowledge is very much appreciated.

Thanks so much and I appreciate all your support so far, I feel right at home so far! You guys are Great!

OP
ClutchKargo
Reactions
City
Knoxville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #8
Snapped these when I picked it up

IMG_1285.jpg
IMG_1289.jpg

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
For the piggy back, the JB4 & Lap3 are your best options. The Lap3 is going to give you a little more power but it's difficult to install plus there's wire's all over the place in your engine bay & cost 1200. The JB4 would be your best bet, It's extremely easy to install, take's less then a couple minutes to install & about a minute to remove. Cable management is very easy, when I had mine installed I had it mounted to the fuse box on the passenger side with velcro plus the JB4 cost half as much as the Lap3.

Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 Pearl Stinger GT-line 2.5L AWD
I have the same color car as well with Red Leather Package (faux leather ;) ) GT AWD ... I had a 2018 AWD GT .. I don't know what kia did to the 2020... but it handles so much better than the 2018 AWD which was sorta bobbing and weaving when hitting the curves . Did some 0 - 60 runs on level ground ~65 Degrees out in the evening... 4.5 - 4.7 range ... very consistent using the launch control. I'll eventually do the JB4, Intake & Plugs (recommended gap) for a few more ponies ;)

OP
ClutchKargo
Reactions
City
Knoxville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #11
So tell me can the dealer tell if you have had a JB4 installed if you have taken it off? I have been told by a dealer that I didn't buy from that Kia as a hole is fairly mod friendly. Just curious. I tuned my 2010 Camaro with a SCT handheld unit with a custom ECU tune about 2 months after I got the car simply because the DOD when the car dropped down to 4 cylinders drove me crazy. I was a little worried about warranty coverage but never had any issues and the car is 10 years old now and still like new. Certainly OCC, Intake, JB4, and probably plugs. Thanks for your help but wanted to see what you all say.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
I used to mod my VWs. They’re really great for those. I used to get APR stage 1, etc. I stopped after reading the insurance clause and discussing with a friend of mine who is in car insurance. He said that if there is an accident, and somehow they figure out you modded the car’s CPU and didn’t inform them ahead of time, you get nothing, the 3rd party coverage is void, etc. It’s all on you. I stopped modding after that. I know the risk is low, but I’m a lot more concerned about that part than I am about the warranty. Please don’t shoot the messenger on this. maybe my friend was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
When you install aftermarket parts on your car you need to tell your insurance company so if your in a accident they're covered. If you don't tell them they will cover the car, but only pay out on stock parts, for example, if you have aftermarket wheels worth 4000 dollars an they get stolen they will only pay you for the stock wheels. Every aftermarket part you add to your insurance makes your insurance go up..

Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
When you install aftermarket parts on your car you need to tell your insurance company so if your in a accident they're covered. If you don't tell them they will cover the car, but only pay out on stock parts, for example, if you have aftermarket wheels worth 4000 dollars an they get stolen they will only pay you for the stock wheels. Every aftermarket part you add to your insurance makes your insurance go up..
Does that include a nitrous fogger system as well? ;)

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
OP
ClutchKargo
Reactions
City
Knoxville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #17
Ok I get the insurance part but can the dealer actually tell if I've had a JB4 connected previously to the car if I've taken it off and then they run diagnostics or actually look. Curious if it detectable after removal.

Thanks

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Ok I get the insurance part but can the dealer actually tell if I've had a JB4 connected previously to the car if I've taken it off and then they run diagnostics or actually look. Curious if it detectable after removal.

Thanks
They’d be hard pressed to find anything. The jB4 just tells the sensors data, it doesn’t talk to the computer. The only way a dealer would be able to find out is if they looked at all the data logs and assumed the numbers that weren’t quite normal were because of a piggyback system.

OP
ClutchKargo
Reactions
City
Knoxville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #19
They’d be hard pressed to find anything. The jB4 just tells the sensors data, it doesn’t talk to the computer. The only way a dealer would be able to find out is if they looked at all the data logs and assumed the numbers that weren’t quite normal were because of a piggyback system.
That's what I was hoping to hear and would think too. I would think the "black box" and/or whatever else that logs information in the Stinger would record things like turbo boost which would be higher than stock so parameters like that would be available. I know that there are counters built into ECU's that count flashing, my Camaro has that, but I'd think a piggy back unit that plugs in would not leave a digital footprint of being connected like an ECU flash would. My MK5 VW diesel had a piggy back box and my buddy was a service tech at VW and he said the diagnostic equipment they used could not tell them a piggy back box had been used. Ok thanks I'll drop this topic but was just interested if anyone knew for sure. I'll be getting a JB4 either way and I'm looking forward too it and playing around with other goodies too.

Oh and man the more I drive this car the more I love it. It drives so smooth and is so comfortable. It's great it traffic and great on the long drive. Then when I feel the urge I reach down and click the mode switch to Sport then my bolsters tighten up and the engine revs up a little I roll into the gas and off I go >>>>>>>>. The Torque and Power is so smooth and strong it's just so contagious and so damn fun.

Thanks folks I really do appreciate your comments and help!

All the best,
Clutch

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Aloha and welcome