Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Launch control question.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
So I understand how to activate launch control but I have a question on when it can be done. Can the traction control be turn off when moving? Say for example on coming to a light and before im comletely stop can I disable traction control, stop, hold brake and gas to 2k for LC to activate? Of course in sport mode.

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
So I understand how to activate launch control but I have a question on when it can be done. Can the traction control be turn off when moving? Say for example on coming to a light and before im comletely stop can I disable traction control, stop, hold brake and gas to 2k for LC to activate? Of course in sport mode.
You have to fully turn off ESC to engage launch control. Then keep brake pedal is depressed to start launch control.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
How does launch control differ from standing on both pedals at the lights, then releasing the brakes?

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
How does launch control differ from standing on both pedals at the lights, then releasing the brakes?
Probably not much difference. If you read the Car and Driver review of a pre-production Stinger, that car did not have the Launch control, and it ran 4.4 sec. 0-60 with (apparently) a simple power-brake launch.

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
It's similar except using launch control will rev the engine to a "safe" 2k and steadily keep it there for 4 seconds until you release the brake pedal.

OP
M
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #6
So pressing the button is not the same as holding down the botton?

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
So pressing the button is not the same as holding down the botton?
From what I can remember pushing the button only deactivates the stability control, holding the button for 3 seconds disables both traction control and stability control which is required for launch control.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
It's similar except using launch control will rev the engine to a "safe" 2k and steadily keep it there for 4 seconds until you release the brake pedal.
Ok, so this explains how someone accidentally failed to engage launch control and ended up doing a drag-strip style burnout at the lights without really meaning to ...

[burnout]

I?m guessing that transmission oil temperature is the issue here. Maybe a couple of seconds at a slightly higher rpm (2500?) would still be ok. Is there a gauge for transmission oil temperature?

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I?m guessing that transmission oil temperature is the issue here. Maybe a couple of seconds at a slightly higher rpm (2500?) would still be ok. Is there a gauge for transmission oil temperature?
Yes, one of five displays between the gauges on the dash -- toggle with your steering wheel button.

OP
M
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #10
I gave it go today. You CAN disable traction control before coming to a stop. I just hold it for 3 sec before coming to a complete stop and engage launch control.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, one of five displays between the gauges on the dash -- toggle with your steering wheel button.
Hmm, I see "Oil Temperature" / "Torque" / "Boost" ... but isn't that the engine oil temperature?

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Hmm, I see "Oil Temperature" / "Torque" / "Boost" ... but isn't that the engine oil temperature?
I don't know if it's engine oil or transmission oil temperature. My Kia techs at the dealership didn't know either. It's not in the owner's manual.

As I posted elsewhere, if you have an engine coolant temperature gauge, what is the purpose of an engine oil temperature gauge? They are so closely related that it would be redundant information. Transmission oil, on the other hand, although cooled by engine coolant in this car, can get very hot with repeated launches, which is one of the downsides of a torque converter transmission as compared to other launch control vehicles using twin clutch transmissions. So from a logic standpoint, I'm guessing that the "Oil Temperature" is the transmission oil temperature. Also, the engine coolant reaches a stable temperature in a couple of minutes of driving, while the "Oil Temperature" does not reach a stable 200?F until 5-6 miles of driving or longer. That suggests (but does not prove) that it's transmission oil.

Pending an answer from another Kia source, another way to find out would be to monitor engine coolant temperature while doing some launches and see if the "Oil Temperature" climbs when the engine coolant does not. The source of heat in an automatic transmission is the friction between the oil and torque converter impeller blades, so using the launch control or power-braking will heat the oil up very quickly. Hard use and launching shouldn't raise engine temperature all that much, but it will push transmission temperatures.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
My guess would be that it?s engine oil temperature, same as my previous car.

It?s not entirely redundant, because coolant temperature comes up pretty quickly on a cold start.
Oil temperature lags behind a bit, and I usually refrain from using all the power until the oil temperature has reached its happy place in the middle of the gauge.