Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Kia undecided on next-generation Stinger

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
This is from Australia but you can see we are going through the same problems here in the US https://www.caradvice.com.au/793340/kia-stinger-undecided/

Sales of sedans are falling globally and Kia is yet to decide if there will be a successor to its turbocharged performance flagship. It may even switch to electric power.

The Kia Stinger performance sedan has won numerous awards but it hasn’t won as many hearts as the South Korean carmaker was hoping – and now the company is deciding if it will build a successor. If a second generation Kia Stinger goes ahead, it could become an electric car.

The global slump in sedan sales has hit the Kia Stinger head on, particularly in North America where it was expected to shine.

Kia Stinger sales in Australia are also running at about half the rate forecast and demand is down compared to this time last year, although it is the second-biggest seller in the large-car class behind the Holden Commodore and ahead of the Mercedes E-Class, BMW 5 Series and Skoda Superb.

One of the creators of the Kia Stinger concept, Gregory Guillaume, vice president, senior chief designer of Kia’s styling studio in Germany, told Australian media in Frankfurt: “At the moment I’m not sure it’s doing as good as we hoped.”

“We never really expected to do massive volumes,” said Mr Guillaume. “It was a halo car. We did want to be successful at least in America, the market where we thought there is a chance that it works. We had very high expectations for that market and it’s very difficult to start in such segments.”

Mr Guillaume said he hopes Kia gives the Stinger sedan a second chance because it takes time to get established when a brand is new to a segment.

Reactions
Kia needs to retain a halo car and the cadenza / K900 ain't it.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 RWD White
It's a great car but I don't see advertising focused on the Stinger. To be honest, the name Stinger isn't that great. I originally said that the name would change from the concept but I guess not. Another point is the price. $50K for a Kia! I feel that it's worth it but people can't get past it's $50K for a Kia. Maybe some more power would benefit that price? Why should we have to do mods to make it more competitive on the streets when Kia could have done it from the factory.