Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Intercooler Thread

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
wait what?....the JT intercooler kit is not $2k
It is $1200 at today's exchange rate. The price you see on their website is on AUD not USD and IMO that is a heck of a deal considering all that it comes with.

There is no excuse for such a critical component to have the flaws that pipe has, someone who has no DIY experience or tools and just installs his pipe, will have a very bad time when one or both of their turbos fail.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Snow White KIA Stinger GT2 RWD
wait what?....the JT intercooler kit is not $2k
It is $1200 at today's exchange rate. The price you see on their website is on AUD not USD and IMO that is a heck of a deal considering all that it comes with.

There is no excuse for such a critical component to have the flaws that pipe has, someone who has no DIY experience or tools and just installs his pipe, will have a very bad time when one or both of their turbos fail.
So very true Rob. I love my JT CAI and Intercooler. I am a bit saddened that what was promised to be released early in 2019 still hasn't come to fruition or even been updated at all by JT. I'm referencing his larger intake plenum, larger intercooler, etc. I haven't heard any update on it's development nor progress. I'm wondering if he kinda gave up on development for the stinger as it didn't sell as well as he and others wanted so the sales weren't there and he put us on the back burner. Just a thought. I love his products though.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
The price you see on their website is on AUD not USD and IMO that is a heck of a deal considering all that it comes with.
Rob do you remember a while back i asked you about their CAI, well the price they gave me was 900 and i ask them to give the price in American currency and that's the price they gave me...This mite have been a miss communication between JT an me....If that's the case that is a good price, I'm going to have to look into the CAI and the FMIC again..

Does his FMIC system come with the T-Pipe, I think I ask you this before but I don't remember.....Thanks for setting me straight on those prices..(y)

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
@spider55 Makes sense. The best way, I've found, to get in touch with them is via phone call, they are a small shop and they have very limited time to frequent any social media.

The JT intercooler kit replaces every single intercooler pipe except for one. The one comes off the T-pipe and goes into the intercooler, that pipe is about 3" so there was no need in replacing it.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
So very true Rob. I love my JT CAI and Intercooler. I am a bit saddened that what was promised to be released early in 2019 still hasn't come to fruition or even been updated at all by JT. I'm referencing his larger intake plenum, larger intercooler, etc. I haven't heard any update on it's development nor progress. I'm wondering if he kinda gave up on development for the stinger as it didn't sell as well as he and others wanted so the sales weren't there and he put us on the back burner. Just a thought. I love his products though.
Last time I spoke to John (July 2019) he said that the development on the Stinger was still going, keep in mind that Stinger sales in Australia are 3 times higher than in the US, so the aftermarket needs are lot bigger there than here. Back then John told me they were having a hard time keeping up with demand, as the mines opened back up and a lot of the welders and workers they had went to work for the mining companies, leaving them short handed, this caused the development projects on the Stinger to come to a halt.

I'm sure they'll get back on the development train for the Stinger next year.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Ok thanks for the info rob

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
MY20 Stinger GT
Back then John told me they were having a hard time keeping up with demand, as the mines opened back up and a lot of the welders and workers they had went to work for the mining companies, leaving them short handed, this caused the development projects on the Stinger to come to a halt.
That makes sense. Commodity prices went up again, a lot of mines that closed when they became unprofitable when prices dropped re-opened again. Mining pays really well, and highly skilled welders aren't exactly easy to find at the best of times, let alone when there is contention for their services.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
That makes sense. Commodity prices went up again, a lot of mines that closed when they became unprofitable when prices dropped re-opened again. Mining pays really well, and highly skilled welders aren't exactly easy to find at the best of times, let alone when there is contention for their services.
Welders are abundant In the U.S.

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
MY20 Stinger GT
Welders are abundant In the U.S.
Australia has only 7% of the US population, yet we're geographically ~80% as large. So that could account for a variation in welder availability.

We probably have plenty of welders anyway, but many of them are not up to the standard JT expects. I saw some shocking welding on an artwork recently, it made me cringe, and I am not a good welder!

Reactions
Has anyone tried a different high performance intercooler with good results?

Also looking for opinions on pop-off valves. Are they a worthwhile addition given the relatively small turbo size?

Thanks!

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Personally I have Jonnytig CAI & FMIC the build quality is second to none. The aftermarket BOV is way better then the stock diverter valves. The aftermarket bov holds boost better then the stock ones, plus they look better..

Reactions
Thanks for the quick reply!

Does Johnny have a US distributor?

Any particular BOV you can recommend?

Thanks!

Bob
Personally I have Jonnytig CAI & FMIC the build quality is second to none. The aftermarket BOV is way better then the stock diverter valves. The aftermarket bov holds boost better then the stock ones, plus they look better..

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Thanks for the quick reply!

Does Johnny have a US distributor?

Any particular BOV you can recommend?

Thanks!

Bob
I have the Tial BOV, there is a guy you can contact, his name is Chris. If you have Facebook search ck71stinger an tell him Jeff told you to contact him. One thing you need to know is Jonny tig is in Australia so when you order parts from him your going to be waiting for a while to receive them. My CAI & FMIC took about 3 months to receive but it was well worth the wait. If you go to JopnnyTigs website an you see the prices don't freak out because it's in AUD, you need to convert it to USD..

DU5T1N812

Reactions
City
Jeffersonville
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 KIA STINGER
Does this JT IC set up fit with no mods to the bumper or fenders etc. to accomodate?

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Does this JT IC set up fit with no mods to the bumper or fenders etc. to accomodate?
Welcome aboard, the only mod you have to do is drill holes in the front bumper rail to month the inner cooler but NO mods on the bumper.

DU5T1N812

Reactions
City
Jeffersonville
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 KIA STINGER
Welcome aboard, the only mod you have to do is drill holes in the front bumper rail to month the inner cooler but NO mods on the bumper.
AWESOME THANKS

DU5T1N812

Reactions
City
Jeffersonville
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 KIA STINGER
I have the Tial BOV, there is a guy you can contact, his name is Chris. If you have Facebook search ck71stinger an tell him Jeff told you to contact him. One thing you need to know is Jonny tig is in Australia so when you order parts from him your going to be waiting for a while to receive them. My CAI & FMIC took about 3 months to receive but it was well worth the wait. If you go to JopnnyTigs website an you see the prices don't freak out because it's in AUD, you need to convert it to USD..
I WONDER IF SHIPPING TIMES HAVE IMPROVED OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS, SINCE THIS WAS INITIALLY WRITTEN? .... IM THINKING OF TRYING THE JT CAI/FMIC COMBO MYSELF

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
I WONDER IF SHIPPING TIMES HAVE IMPROVED OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS, SINCE THIS WAS INITIALLY WRITTEN? .... IM THINKING OF TRYING THE JT CAI/FMIC COMBO MYSELF
For me it was worth the wait, I had my CAI custom made where the stock BOV tubes plug into the intake tubes, I had left off. It gives it a cleaner look. Here's a picture showing what I mean.

Attachments

DU5T1N812

Reactions
City
Jeffersonville
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 KIA STINGER
For me it was worth the wait, I had my CAI custom made where the stock BOV tubes plug into the intake tubes, I had left off. It gives it a cleaner look. Here's a picture showing what I mean.
YEA I REALLY LIKE THE LOOK OF THOSE HEAT SHEILDS AND THE WHOLE SET UP TBH. I THINK THIS IS PROB WHAT I'LL GO WITH BUT I WONDER IF I CAN GET THE CAI TUBING IN BLUE INSTEAD OF RED 😈😈

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
YEA I REALLY LIKE THE LOOK OF THOSE HEAT SHEILDS AND THE WHOLE SET UP TBH. I THINK THIS IS PROB WHAT I'LL GO WITH BUT I WONDER IF I CAN GET THE CAI TUBING IN BLUE INSTEAD OF RED 😈😈
JonnyTig has specific colors he uses, I ordered mine in raw form so no color & when I received the parts I took them to a friend to have them powder coated red.