Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Big Turbo Thread

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
No Need to apologize. I might have been harsh. A 3076 is a massive turbo good for 600 HP a side. Might be a good end state goal for a big 1000+ HP build, but is about 200% physically bigger than what on the car

Imp8ient

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2008 G8 GT
Thank you for the information. Every bit helps, like knowing that the tranny could possibly handle 800 ft lb. Good to hear Tork is doing a more in depth breakdown. Is it true that the 2019 motors will be getting an internal parts upgrade? I?m pretty sure I read something of the sort.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Thank you for the information. Every bit helps, like knowing that the tranny could possibly handle 800 ft lb. Good to hear Tork is doing a more in depth breakdown. Is it true that the 2019 motors will be getting an internal parts upgrade? I?m pretty sure I read something of the sort.
I have heard nothing to substantiate this claim.

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
The 3.3L already had forged internals, but please share what you find out.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I've not seen that confirmed. Rod's look like the could be forged ( but could be powdered metal forged ), and haven't seen underside of piston. The other Hyundai turbo motors are not forged from factory, so this would be a surprise to me.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Agreed. I do not think the internals of our engines are forged.

Imp8ient

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2008 G8 GT
I?m looking for what I read but I recall reading Hyundai was doing internal replacements for that motor for 2019 motors to allow it to run more efficiently yet still maintaining the same power output. I?ll look for the article when I have time.

jaren253

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
The rods are indeed forged. I have held one in my hand at Tork Motorsports myself. The pistons are not forged but John at Tork doesn't see any reason to believe its a weak point.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
The rods are indeed forged. I have held one in my hand at Tork Motorsports myself. The pistons are not forged but John at Tork doesn't see any reason to believe its a weak point.
Great to hear.

JD_Spoon

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
So, I've been pouring through the Honeywell Garrett product catalog, and there's almost no mention of the GT17xx series turbos, other than an aftermarket kit for older 1.9/2.0L VW engines that use the GT1749V turbo. I haven't sat down and plugged the numbers into a calculator to sanity check this (and I've lost the software I used when I was sizing turbocharging my old Sentra SE-R Spec-V), but first pass suggests that the GTX2860R GEN II might be a candidate for an upgrade from stock. Also considering the viability of the GT2560R, for a little more mild of a bump over stock. Anybody got insight on what it takes to adapt these options to the stock manifolds, or has already run the math on the sizing to fit?

Most of the twin-scroll housings I've found so far are for GT30 and larger turbos, which are almost certainly bigger than I'd want to put on a daily driver setup for a twin-turbo engine of this this displacement. Though, thus far I really haven't looked outside of Garrett's offerings either.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
A GTX2860R is definitely a nice upgrade, however not the next step up from factory. I have been working on an engine that is having the turbos upgraded from the GT2540 to GTX2867 genII and those two are significantly bigger than factory and not twin scroll. If I were to guess the GT2540 looks like the next step up from stock turbos. Then again that is my guess.

Bnzeukou

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Garrett employee here working in product development. To answer some questions on this forum, the 3.3L twin turbos are GT14s and the 2.0L single turbo is a GT20.

We're always looking at releasing upgrades for vehicles where Garrett is stock. What HP would you want out of an upgrade for the 3.3 and 2.0?

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Garrett employee here working in product development. To answer some questions on this forum, the 3.3L twin turbos are GT14s and the 2.0L single turbo is a GT20.

We're always looking at releasing upgrades for vehicles where Garrett is stock. What HP would you want out of an upgrade for the 3.3 and 2.0?
Thanks for the info, I would say 400-450whp for the 3.3 would make me very happy.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Thanks for the info on the turbos. 450whp to 500 whp is doable with stock turbos. I would say a bolt on stock replacement solution with airflow capacity for 6-700 whp would be an exciting product. Maybe something with a BB chra?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Anything above 500 is good.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
[MENTION=1454]Bnzeukou[/MENTION] Thank you for chiming in. Any idea on the exact turbo used? Also Anything on the GTX Gen II line will be a great upgrade. Looking for power range around 500 to 600.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
[MENTION=1454]Bnzeukou[/MENTION] Thank you for chiming in. Any idea on the exact turbo used? Also Anything on the GTX Gen II line will be a great upgrade. Looking for power range around 500 to 600.
Agree, ~550whp would be ideal.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Yes definitely at least 500whp

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States

I'd like to get around 350-400 with the 2.0 if thats possible.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
North of 500whp will be very fun.[biggrin]