Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

KIA k900 Style Fob

Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
‘19 Stinger GT
For 3/4 of the year or so I’d prefer to not even have an actual key fob. In prior cars (Subaru BRZ) you could use a key fob which resembled a credit card. It wasn’t from Subaru but it was cross compatible with Lexus. Looking at KIA they have part number SY5KHCFGE00 which is similar. Details on usage are sparse beyond the K900. Any thoughts before experimenting with $100 and change?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
For 3/4 of the year or so I’d prefer to not even have an actual key fob. In prior cars (Subaru BRZ) you could use a key fob which resembled a credit card. It wasn’t from Subaru but it was cross compatible with Lexus. Looking at KIA they have part number SY5KHCFGE00 which is similar. Details on usage are sparse beyond the K900. Any thoughts before experimenting with $100 and change?
Looks like it should work for an emergency key to unlock the door. Not sure if you can start the car without the FOB because of the security system.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Edited: Just looked it up, I doubt it will work though.

OP
C
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
‘19 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #4
Cross referencing the FCC IDs they appear to have similar frequency ranges. Just sourced one for rather cheap, best way to know for sure is to try I suppose!

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
That would be great if it worked.

OP
C
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
‘19 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #6
Hopefully it does, I kept the card in my front pocket just in front of my wallet. Was nice not having a “key” per say.

Also ordered a replacement key blank in hopes it will all work.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Focus ST(Stinger GT1 soon)
I didn't know something like this even existed...Would be cool to have if it works.

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Keep us posted! I’d prefer it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
‘19 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #9

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
[MENTION=2154]Canfail[/MENTION] you're brilliant for coming up with this idea. Looking forward to what you find out.

OP
C
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
‘19 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #11
[MENTION=2154]Canfail[/MENTION] you're brilliant for coming up with this idea. Looking forward to what you find out.
Was not the first to think of this but happy to help the community. I have 5 local KIA dealerships and so far one will not even attempt it but I do have one oddly excited and interested in experimenting. My hope is that it programs exactly like the K900...hope.

OP
C
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
‘19 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #12
Hit a substantial road block and I’m not sure how to overcome.

The dealership called me back and informed me that KIA requires a K900 certified tech to perform any work related to the K900. This includes accessing the computer scanning tool.

Of course the next dealer near me who is a K900 dealer currently has a tech in training with a scheduled graduation date 6 months from now.

//Update
Pretty confident this project is dead in the water. Bummer

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I don't see what the problem is, as the work that is being performed is NOT on a K900 its on a Stinger. The scanning tool (which is the same for both the K900 and the Stinger) they need to use is one for the Stinger. If the scanning tool picks up the signal from the K900 FOB and allows it to register with the Stinger's security system then, the K900 FOB works, if it doesn't pick up the signal then it will not work.

OP
C
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
‘19 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #14
I’m relatively new to the Kia scene and do not have solid contacts in the service area. Which unfortunately none seem interested in skirting the K900 situation.

If you’re interested (or anyone else really) and have a service contact, I can send you this fob free of charge for you to experiment and see if it’s a viable option?

It does look slick though.

rotated.jpg

Attachments

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
[MENTION=2154]Canfail[/MENTION] Spoke to the guys at Westside Kia, closest dealer to me, about this project and they are 100% on board with this, I even spoke to the tech that will be doing the programming and he is cool with trying.

If you want you can send the fob to me and if it doesn't work I'll gladly return it to you. I can cover shipping both ways, if that helps.

Let me know.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
C
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
‘19 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #16
I’ll PM you for an USPS address, no need to ship it back. If it works just let me know first. [wink]

If it doesn’t, it made a solid paperweight on my desk. I’m sure it would for you.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2