Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Idle stop start question

Reactions
State
AK
Country
United States
I’ve read the manual and want to make sure I’m right. I just bought a stinger today. On the way home, at every stop, it did not shut the engine off but the amber idle stop logo light lit up and the amber light on the button to turn it off lit up. Is there a problem with the idle stop function? Manual said the light should be green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger 2.0T AWD
First off congrats. The auto start stop doesn't come on all the time, especially if you have the heat or a/c running. I've noticed in the winter times it doesn't come on as much as it does in the summer time.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
I've noticed this too, I play with pressing the light but if the light is on in the button I believe it is deactivated. It resets when I restart my car. I believe the orange/yellow A indicates that it is not shutting down, when it is Green that is when it turns off. But why it lights up on the Dash as orange yellow A when it is deactivated I'm not sure the reason.

In Eco mode It shuts off which is fine when I'm at the light I lightly tap the accelerator and the engine pops back if auto hold is on, if not just lightly release the brake peddle a little and it pops on there too, so I've learned when the light is about to turn green to do this so I'm not having to wait an extra second.

However what is annoying is when I pull into my garage and stop the engine shuts off, and then I go to move the car into Park, and the engine pops back on which is silly to me since I'm actually ready to turn the car off. It should stay off while in park and then I can just turn off the car like normal without having to have the engine restart and shut down again. Kind of a minor complaint but it seems like it doesn't make sense when shifting to Park for it to pop back on.

OP
J
Reactions
State
AK
Country
United States
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome. I tried stopping in all modes and get the same thing. I have to go back to the dealer in 2 weeks because they couldn’t find the 2nd key to it. I’ll have them look if it doesn’t work by then.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
MmB22 - just press the On/Off button rather than the Park button. The car automatically puts itself into Park and shuts off, without the engine restarting.

I can't tell you the last time that I have pressed the Park button.

Just an FYI

All posts are for entertainment, are my opinions and not meant to be acted upon. All photos are copyrighted and not for use by others, without express written consent by me.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Congrats on the new ride. I noticed on mine when it was brand new that the start stop didn’t work right away. Don’t know if it’s because the battery hadn’t gotten a good charge in a while, but after a day or two of commuting it’s been working most of the time since. Sometimes I don’t understand why it decides to not activate, but it’s actually gotten better with how quickly it turns back on. It used to drive me crazy with how slow it took the car to shift back into gear when starting back up.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
However what is annoying is when I pull into my garage and stop the engine shuts off, and then I go to move the car into Park, and the engine pops back on which is silly to me since I'm actually ready to turn the car off. It should stay off while in park and then I can just turn off the car like normal without having to have the engine restart and shut down again. Kind of a minor complaint but it seems like it doesn't make sense when shifting to Park for it to pop back on.
Completely with you on that annoying little bug

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
MmB22 - just press the On/Off button rather than the Park button. The car automatically puts itself into Park and shuts off, without the engine restarting.
Depends if they have the electronic shifter or not. Right?

Aznoodle

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT2 awd
Solid yellow means the IS&G system wants to activate but some requirements are not met such as engine temp too hot or too cold, oil temp too hot or too cold, sensors and what not. Solid green means it's working as intended. Flashing yellow means shit is broken.

The IS&G system has like 4 or 5 parameters that all need to be green lit b4 it runs. I believe the conditions it checks for are in the manual. For the most part, once the stinger has been warmed up it will work.

In sport mode it never activates cuz yolo sport mode engaged bruh.

Vehicle always starts up with IS&G on.

Protip: the brake pedal has a pressure sensor or something that guages a "light" press versus a "hard/firm" press. If u are on the brake just barely enough to stop the vehicle IS&G and auto hold do not engage. If u firmly press down after u are already stopped, both systems will try to engage. Green notifications will appear if all conditions are met.

White lettered auto hold means its on and waiting for you to press brake down firmly while stopped to engage

Pardon the super long post.

OP
J
Reactions
State
AK
Country
United States
Thread Starter #10
Congrats on the new ride. I noticed on mine when it was brand new that the start stop didn’t work right away. Don’t know if it’s because the battery hadn’t gotten a good charge in a while, but after a day or two of commuting it’s been working most of the time since. Sometimes I don’t understand why it decides to not activate, but it’s actually gotten better with how quickly it turns back on. It used to drive me crazy with how slow it took the car to shift back into gear when starting back up.
Good to know. Maybe after driving a couple days it’ll fix itself.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2

I can't tell you the last time that I have pressed the Park button.

Just an FYI

All posts are for entertainment, are my opinions and not meant to be acted upon. All photos are copyrighted and not for use by others, without express written consent by me.
Yeah that's probably what I should do I guess it is just an old habit this is the first car I've had with Shift by wire so I'm so used to putting the thing into gear it will probably take me a while. Right now I feel like a pilot going through a checklist LOL

OP
J
Reactions
State
AK
Country
United States
Thread Starter #12
Well it worked a couple times just now on the way to work. Guess it was the battery not having enough charge. But, it did do the thing where I parked, it idle stopped and when I put it in Park, it started again before I pushed the start/stop button. I’m not sure I follow what was mentioned above to try. Right when I shifted to park, it started back up. How do you prevent that?

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Well it worked a couple times just now on the way to work. Guess it was the battery not having enough charge. But, it did do the thing where I parked, it idle stopped and when I put it in Park, it started again before I pushed the start/stop button. I’m not sure I follow what was mentioned above to try. Right when I shifted to park, it started back up. How do you prevent that?

Well first do you have a GT2 with the Shift by wire or the other models with a physical gear shift?

From what was suggested if you just push the off button on the push start without shifting to park the car automatically goes to park. For the no shift by wire you may have to actually shift it.

Since I'm still in my old car habit what I've done is when pulling in I turn the idle stop and go off on the console then shift to park and turn off like normal but it's an extra step.

I'd like to see them update to where shifting in park does not start the engine up, but it's a minor complaint for me.

OP
J
Reactions
State
AK
Country
United States
Thread Starter #14
I have a premium so I have a physical shifter. I agree. An update would be nice and not have to turn it off before parking

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Another thing, the engine will NOT shut down if the seat belt is unbuckled!

So, sometimes when I pull into the garage or a parking space, I'll hit the buckle button to unbelt before I come to a complete stop. ;-)

OP
J
Reactions
State
AK
Country
United States
Thread Starter #16
Another thing, the engine will NOT shut down if the seat belt is unbuckled!

So, sometimes when I pull into the garage or a parking space, I'll hit the buckle button to unbelt before I come to a complete stop. ;-)
Nice. I can live with that then

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 KIA STINGER AWD GT1
Is anyone else interested in permanently disabling this "feature"? Is there a fuse I can pull so I don't have to turn off the auto-start/stop button every time?

Is there a way to KEEP this car in RECYCLE mode for the climate-controls? It reverts back to FRESH air constantly.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Is anyone else interested in permanently disabling this "feature"? Is there a fuse I can pull so I don't have to turn off the auto-start/stop button every time?

Is there a way to KEEP this car in RECYCLE mode for the climate-controls? It reverts back to FRESH air constantly.
As to the Fuse I'm not sure which one it would be to deactivate it. I personally wouldn't mess with it just because I wouldn't want to deactivate something else or cause an unintended consequence but I think if you put your car in Sport mode that it also will cause it not to turn the engine off as well.

As to the recycle mode you can hit the Climate button then you should have the option to turn off "smart ventilation" that will disable that feature from changing in the future so it will stay where you put it.

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 KIA STINGER AWD GT1
As to the Fuse I'm not sure which one it would be to deactivate it. I personally wouldn't mess with it just because I wouldn't want to deactivate something else or cause an unintended consequence but I think if you put your car in Sport mode that it also will cause it not to turn the engine off as well.

As to the recycle mode you can hit the Climate button then you should have the option to turn off "smart ventilation" that will disable that feature from changing in the future so it will stay where you put it.
Bummer about the auto start/stops, but it isn't so bad. I'm already in the habit of pressing that button on start up- but I still forget sometimes.

Thanks for the tip about the "Smart Ventilation" thing! Awesome! Going to disable that straight away! [raceflag]

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 KIA STINGER AWD GT1
It didn't work :/

I was happy, but then it kept reverting back to fresh air intake [facepalm]

I can live with it, but I did disable the "smart-ventilation" in the Climate Menu, also tried the one below it, something about sucking air when the climate system is off, but neither one helped.