Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

I messed up...

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
I wrecked my stinger a little over a week ago. The sad part? I wish I was racing when I did it, but instead, I let someone get the better of my judgment. I think had I been racing, I'd have had both hands on the wheel and be focused on vehicle control, and not overtaking some a**hole.

Long story short: Mercedes in the 1 lane wouldn't let me move over like a dick, kept getting on the gas to "block" me out. So I went full throttle around 50MPH because I wasn't having it knowing I could easily overtake his ass, and the road started to turn left AND crown down and away from the turn (the worst road crown condition for cornering, of course!), and I went into a power slide. For a moment, I had control of it, but as the crown started to continue bringing the rear out, I started to ease up on the throttle to maintain the slide... but as I started to ease down to around the 1/3 throttle position, I wished I had been in manual mode. The car upshifted (!) and the brief weight transfer lifted the already hot rear tires up and the rear quickly went into full swing and I lost control of it, wiped out over an island and into a street sign over the oncoming traffic's curb.

I let some jerk get the best of me, and my Stinger was totaled. While the pics don't look that bad, the bottom was pretty much chewed the hell up, and the car's drivetrain was destroyed. The underside of the car basically ate three curb hops on the way to its final stop.

At the same time, I'll be selling some stuff to help fund overcoming my own stupidity. I'll be posting what I'm selling in this thread linked to a proper sell thread over in the other section.

Sorry to be such an embarrassment to you all! :cry::cry:

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Sorry that happened bro. Why not just get anther Stinger?

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
well I hope you learned your lesson

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Sorry to hear and see what happened. I'm glad no one was injured.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Sorry to see that happened. Live and learn

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Ouch really sorry that happened.

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
Really sorry to hear, glad the only injury is a bruised ego. It could have ended up much worse.

serg965

Reactions
City
The Ponds, NSW
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT 3.3L
Sorry to hear, that's like a reality check for some (me included). No one's bullet proof :(

OP
Z
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #9
Yea, I did learn my lesson about having 570HP on measly 255s :ROFLMAO: That, and something about my temper? *shrug*

Thanks for the sympathy from many of you, though! :)

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Sorry that happened, as long as you are ok that's what matters..

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Bummer on the accident. Have you decided on the replacement?

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
MY20 Stinger GT
Bummer on the accident, but it sounds like you came out of it OK - cars can be replaced, people not so much.

Glad to hear you are OK.

OP
Z
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #13
Yea, my pride's still being worked on, though... :whistle:

Also, just some links to things I had laying around and posted in the classifieds:

3.3TT Stock Secondary DPs: https://www.kiastinger.org/threads/3-3tt-stock-secondary-dps-250-shipping.3427/
LAP3 Pro Tuner V1: https://www.kiastinger.org/threads/lap3-pro-tuner-v1-595-shipping.3428/
K&N Intake Filters RU-5163 (both): https://www.kiastinger.org/threads/k-n-intake-filters-ru-5163-50-shipping-for-both.3429/
3.3TT Stock Intake: https://www.kiastinger.org/threads/3-3tt-stock-intake-195-shipping.3430/

OP
Z
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #14
Bummer on the accident. Have you decided on the replacement?
I won't deny there really isn't anything that sits where the Stinger does in terms of quality, performance, utility (four door, spacious enough for adults in the rear, hatchback with rear fold-down for buying TVs), and modability...

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Ouch, I would be really upset if that had been my car, but nobody got injured, which is the most important thing.

Can I ask ... what driving mode were you in? (I‘m wondering why stability control didn’t save the day for you).

OP
Z
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #16
Ouch, I would be really upset if that had been my car, but nobody got injured, which is the most important thing.

Can I ask ... what driving mode were you in? (I‘m wondering why stability control didn’t save the day for you).
Sport mode, all aids off (TC/SC). I went over this in another forum if you're about to inquire why Sport mode didn't hold my gear, lol

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Sport mode, all aids off (TC/SC). I went over this in another forum if you're about to inquire why Sport mode didn't hold my gear, lol
I wonder if any other mode would have made a difference due to the speed and turn in the road.

OP
Z
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #18
I wonder if any other mode would have made a difference due to the speed and turn in the road.
I doubt it. I think I dropped below the threshold for lateral Gs and throttle input, and the car figured it was safe to upshift. A power slide has relatively low lateral Gs compared to actual cornering.

Still, shouldn't have floored it in a near full bolt-on at 50MPH just to "get in front" of the jerk. My mistake still remains, lol

Dan

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Acura TLX
That sucks big time. Did the insurance even say how much the repair would have been to repair it?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
That sucks big time. Did the insurance even say how much the repair would have been to repair it?
"Lots"