Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Help! Help! Tech help please!

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
If any Kia technicians could please help me or if there is anyone out there that has messed with their suspension.

Recently through an unfortunate and embarrassing circumstance, my right front tire popped on my way home after i hit a curb just right. [:(!] After getting a new tire, I took it to the Kia dealership since none of the tire shops near me have the specs to do the alignment. Aaaaaaand the service manager informed me that the strut is bent and the alignment can't be done.[:(!][:(!][:(!]

I can get a strut assembly myself and install it,(bypassing the dealership's astronomical installation cost) but I would like to know if the strut assembly requires any type of sync with the computer that only the dealer can do or is it just plug and play?

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT AWD
I am looking at my 18 AWD and I have 0 computer connections to the strut. I sell struts, shocks etc and you should be able to get a replacement strut aftermarket. It wont be cheap (between 125 and 3 hundo for Monroe) and more than likely will NOT be the exact same thing unless you go with the dealership AND some of the larger named parts stores may not have them in stock yet. Where I work struggles with all Acura and VW 2017 and newer vehicles because the folks that supply our parts have not had access to or are waiting for access to the parts specifications from the manufacturer.
Try calling around and (Pepboys / Autozone etc) see if they offer replacement struts. I know the knowledge filled folks here will jump in on this one. just my 2 cents. GL

Just looked at another thread you may have electronic dampers!!

Last edited:
OP
CKeeler

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #3
I am looking at my 18 AWD and I have 0 computer connections to the strut. I sell struts, shocks etc and you should be able to get a replacement strut aftermarket. It wont be cheap (between 125 and 3 hundo for Monroe) and more than likely will NOT be the exact same thing unless you go with the dealership AND some of the larger named parts stores may not have them in stock yet. Where I work struggles with all Acura and VW 2017 and newer vehicles because the folks that supply our parts have not had access to or are waiting for access to the parts specifications from the manufacturer.
Try calling around and (Pepboys / Autozone etc) see if they offer replacement struts. I know the knowledge filled folks here will jump in on this one. just my 2 cents. GL

Just looked at another thread you may have electronic dampers!!
I do have the electronic suspension.
Found a replacement on eBay for $299, just waiting to see what I can get one from the dealer for through a shop I work with

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT AWD
Using a shop you work with is a great idea. I use where I work to get parts for my son's Tundra. Gotta save a buck anywhere you can these days. Hope you can get ahold of them cheap!!

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
No especial tooling or calibration required when replacing a strut or strut assembly. You should be fine doing it yourself or having a shop (other than the dealer) do it for you.

OP
CKeeler

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #7
No especial tooling or calibration required when replacing a strut or strut assembly. You should be fine doing it yourself or having a shop (other than the dealer) do it for you.
Thanks robz32. I just ordered a used one off eBay for $250. I'm going to take a look at the suspension to see if I have all the necessary tools to complete the job myself

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada