Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Hello! Moving to New Zealand and Stinger is a strong contender

Mikey_Boy

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
New Zealand
What I Drive
2017 Mercedes C63s AMG
Hey there Kia fans!
So me and my family (wife and 3 kids) are moving from CA, USA to New Zealand in a couple months.
Currently have the following fleet:
2017 Mercedes C63s AMG: tint, carbon stuff, 20" ADV1 2-piece wheels
2016 GMC Yukon Denali XL
2017 Honda Civic EX-L w/nav
2016 BMW R1200R Motorcycle

Unfortunately, I can only bring the motorcycle over as NZ is all RHD and will not allow any of the cars there [mad]

So now looking what to purchase when I arrive. We have already settled on the family car as a Kia Sorento Premium (highest spec there) as the value is pretty good
Was going to look at a new C63, but they are WAYYYYYY more expensive at ~NZD $160k = ~USD $116k vs ~USD $88k here for the same spec. So considering I don't have that kind of budget, I'm looking at other options.

Basically the rules are is that it has to seat 5, budget of around NZD $110k MAX

So far, I've got these:
Audi RS3 Sportback (like the RS3 here, but a hatch) NZD $105k
HSV GTS VF which is basically the Chevy SS sedan but with a version of the LS7 supercharged Corvette motor w/ ~580HP NZD $95k
Kia Stinger GT sport 3.3: same as the GT2 here, but w/ RWD and comes with the 360 camera NZD $69k

I drove the Stinger, RS3 and Chevy SS (415hp LS3 motor) all here, and kindof torn here. I'm liking the Stinger simply for the amount of extra funds I could have to put into it right away (wheels, CF parts, tune, exhaust, DP, tune, etc.) and have a pretty damn fast and catchy car while still remaining reliable and something I could haul the family in.

I know this forum will be Stinger bias, but looking for some honest feedback...

Oh, and if anyone is looking for a damn fast AMG, hit me up [cool]

TL/DR: Moving to New Zealand and need a 5 passenger sports car

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
For the money you can't simply beat the Stinger, I've owned a 2010 C63 and most recently before the Stinger, a 2017 C43. Post up some pictures of the C63, would love to see how the ADV1 wheels look.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
and Chevy SS (415hp LS3 motor)
There's your answer. None of the cars you listed even compare to the Chevy SS. Between the Chevy SS, Genesis, and the Stinger, the Genesis won only because of the value for money and the AWD needed for SD. Next car no doubt, as a toy, will be the SS. None of us on this forum will shy away from you if you buy the Holy Grail. Make us proud [cheers]

OP
M

Mikey_Boy

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
New Zealand
What I Drive
2017 Mercedes C63s AMG
Thread Starter #4
For the money you can't simply beat the Stinger, I've owned a 2010 C63 and most recently before the Stinger, a 2017 C43. Post up some pictures of the C63, would love to see how the ADV1 wheels look.
That's what I've been finding. Seems I can make this car pretty bad ass and stand out for a lot less than buying some of the others.

Pics of the C63s:
IMG_0033.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0474.jpg

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Oh wow that C63 looks so badass. You can't go wrong with any of the cars on that list. The RS3 is going to be a tight fit compared to the other two.

OP
M

Mikey_Boy

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
New Zealand
What I Drive
2017 Mercedes C63s AMG
Thread Starter #6
There's your answer. None of the cars you listed even compare to the Chevy SS. Between the Chevy SS, Genesis, and the Stinger, the Genesis won only because of the value for money and the AWD needed for SD. Next car no doubt, as a toy, will be the SS. None of us on this forum will shy away from you if you buy the Holy Grail. Make us proud [cheers]
Here is an example of the HSV model I'm looking at. It's similar to the Chevy SS but with 430Kw (577HP) and 740Nm (546 ft/lbs torque).

I need to drive that one when I get there to get the feel...

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
If you're used to the features on the C63, you're going to not like the RS3. The lack of basic features like memory seats is one of the things that really irritates me. Quality on the car isn't that great either, I had a lot of problems with my MMI and the amp needed replacement under 1-year. The sunshade was also another issue for me, if you accelerate hard it'll slide back an inch. If you're a tall driver, you can forget about any leg room for people behind you. If you order the Prestige model you can't order it homelink.

OP
M

Mikey_Boy

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
New Zealand
What I Drive
2017 Mercedes C63s AMG
Thread Starter #8
Oh wow that C63 looks so badass. You can't go wrong with any of the cars on that list. The RS3 is going to be a tight fit compared to the other two.
That's my wife's main gripe about the RS3. I'm hoping the sportback (wagon) version of the car has a little more room. It certainly is fast and the digital cluster with google maps is AMAZING. We'll see...Also doesn't help that the HSV consumes a LOT of fuel, and at ~$6/gallon, that adds up haha

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Nice car list, my vote goes to the Stinger. Best wishes on the move.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Here is an example of the HSV model I'm looking at. It's similar to the Chevy SS but with 430Kw (577HP) and 740Nm (546 ft/lbs torque).

I need to drive that one when I get there to get the feel...
I've driven a stock SS (LS3 415hp) so i know how it handles. Besides the power increase, I would assume the HSV is almost identical. Keep in mind, which you may already know, the refinement in the SS isn't going to be in C63 territory but the rawness and capability of it will make up for it. I have never been into MB but I respect what they are capable of. My pick would be 2006(ish) SL Brabus. The review Clarkson did on Top Gear made me fall for it. The fact that the company made a car and had a tuner develope over 1000 ft lbs is insane, especially back in 2007. It's just like what Chrysler is doing with the Hellcat models and the Demon. I'll applaud MB and Brabus for their insane vision.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Will you be living there long term or short term? If you're there for a few years the Stinger makes more sense as it'll be much easier to resell later on. On more expensive cars you're going to have more limited buyers as I'm sure you're probably experiencing with trying to sell the C63.

OP
M

Mikey_Boy

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
New Zealand
What I Drive
2017 Mercedes C63s AMG
Thread Starter #12
I've driven a stock SS (LS3 415hp) so i know how it handles. Besides the power increase, I would assume the HSV is almost identical. Keep in mind, which you may already know, the refinement in the SS isn't going to be in C63 territory but the rawness and capability of it will make up for it. I have never been into MB but I respect what they are capable of. My pick would be 2006(ish) SL Brabus. The review Clarkson did on Top Gear made me fall for it. The fact that the company made a car and had a tuner develope over 1000 ft lbs is insane, especially back in 2007. It's just like what Chrysler is doing with the Hellcat models and the Demon. I'll applaud MB and Brabus for their insane vision.
Yes, I've driven the SS as well back when car shopping (before exploding the budget and getting the C63). I know about the refinement aspect. Looks like I'm going to to have to see if there are any Brabus for sale there[cool]

OP
M

Mikey_Boy

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
New Zealand
What I Drive
2017 Mercedes C63s AMG
Thread Starter #13
Will you be living there long term or short term? If you're there for a few years the Stinger makes more sense as it'll be much easier to resell later on. On more expensive cars you're going to have more limited buyers as I'm sure you're probably experiencing with trying to sell the C63.
The plan is for long term. As I'm looking I'm starting to lean further toward the Stinger. It has so much potential and with extra funds, I could make a pretty bad-azz build (as wife approved as possible) right away, whereas with the others, the build would have to wait.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
The plan is for long term. As I'm looking I'm starting to lean further toward the Stinger. It has so much potential and with extra funds, I could make a pretty bad-azz build (as wife approved as possible) right away, whereas with the others, the build would have to wait.
Judging from that badass C63 you probably can't leave your cars stock lol. If you're still in the states better stock up on performance parts now while they're still cheap.[raceflag]

OP
M

Mikey_Boy

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
New Zealand
What I Drive
2017 Mercedes C63s AMG
Thread Starter #15
Judging from that badass C63 you probably can't leave your cars stock lol. If you're still in the states better stock up on performance parts now while they're still cheap.[raceflag]
You know, I was thinking this too! Don't know what customs will think though lol. I'm bringing my BMW Motorcycle and planning on shipping an exhaust in the container (not installed) and installing it after I get it NZ certified.

Just need to make the decision on the car first....

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Mazda6 Touring ? Soul Red
Hey there Kia fans!
So me and my family (wife and 3 kids) are moving from CA, USA to New Zealand in a couple months.
Currently have the following fleet:
2017 Mercedes C63s AMG: tint, carbon stuff, 20" ADV1 2-piece wheels
2016 GMC Yukon Denali XL
2017 Honda Civic EX-L w/nav
2016 BMW R1200R Motorcycle

Unfortunately, I can only bring the motorcycle over as NZ is all RHD and will not allow any of the cars there [mad]

So now looking what to purchase when I arrive. We have already settled on the family car as a Kia Sorento Premium (highest spec there) as the value is pretty good
Was going to look at a new C63, but they are WAYYYYYY more expensive at ~NZD $160k = ~USD $116k vs ~USD $88k here for the same spec. So considering I don't have that kind of budget, I'm looking at other options.

Basically the rules are is that it has to seat 5, budget of around NZD $110k MAX

So far, I've got these:
Audi RS3 Sportback (like the RS3 here, but a hatch) NZD $105k
HSV GTS VF which is basically the Chevy SS sedan but with a version of the LS7 supercharged Corvette motor w/ ~580HP NZD $95k
Kia Stinger GT sport 3.3: same as the GT2 here, but w/ RWD and comes with the 360 camera NZD $69k

I drove the Stinger, RS3 and Chevy SS (415hp LS3 motor) all here, and kindof torn here. I'm liking the Stinger simply for the amount of extra funds I could have to put into it right away (wheels, CF parts, tune, exhaust, DP, tune, etc.) and have a pretty damn fast and catchy car while still remaining reliable and something I could haul the family in.

I know this forum will be Stinger bias, but looking for some honest feedback...

Oh, and if anyone is looking for a damn fast AMG, hit me up [cool]

TL/DR: Moving to New Zealand and need a 5 passenger sports car
It's a great drive between Rohan and Mordor.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
OP
M

Mikey_Boy

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
New Zealand
What I Drive
2017 Mercedes C63s AMG
Thread Starter #18
That's one mean looking AMG. Did you lower it and what's the specs on those wheels?
Not lowered. I like the OEM adjustable suspension and couldn't imagine a stiffer ride. Wheels are 20x9(F) and 20x10.5(R). I don't remember the exact offsets. Wish Kia's bolt pattern was the same as the MBZ's. I'm stocking out the wheels and would bring these over in a flash.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Not lowered. I like the OEM adjustable suspension and couldn't imagine a stiffer ride. Wheels are 20x9(F) and 20x10.5(R). I don't remember the exact offsets. Wish Kia's bolt pattern was the same as the MBZ's. I'm stocking out the wheels and would bring these over in a flash.
Those wheels would have looked perfect on the Stinger.