Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Dyno Results: 2.0 Stinger LAP3

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
Hi everybody!

As you may know, I have been running the LAP3 on the 2.0 Kia Stinger for a while now. Today, I finally had the opportunity to run the Stinger on a mustang dyno aka the ?heartbreaker?. Let me tell you - it definitely lived up to its name.

I made 3 runs in total. One run was without the LAP3 and the other two were with it plugged in. Temperature was ~75 degrees. I think the operators messed up in calibrating the dyno for the Stinger. The dyno did not have any settings for 2018 vehicles, so the used a K900 and adjusted the weight. I also think they left the setting on AWD and not RWD.

Mods are: LAP3, Intake, and NGK ILKR9Q7G spark plugs (1 step colder).

Getting strapped on:

Finally, the results:

A picture of an overpriced STI:

Back to the Stinger. So, stock she put down 196 whp and 204 wtq. With the LAP3 installed, she threw down 223 whp and 231 wtq. Gains of 27 whp and 27 wtq.

I was definitely heartbroken, but had to remember these runs were about the delta between the first run and the last 2. LAP3 claims 50 whp. They might get that number on a different dyno, but with this test they were about 20 whp off. Again, I was not confident in the calibrations the operators threw in there.

Overall, my experience today was great. There were a few nice cars there and the people were awesome to talk to. In a few months, the files might be out so I could do a more accurate run. I was really looking to see 250-260 whp and wtq.

TJH

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Singapore
Thanks for the info!

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
That's lower than I thought too. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Thanks for doing this for us. 27whp gain is very disappointing considering the chip with the plugs set you back a good chunk of change.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GTLimited
Not to worry- I just noticed it was on a Mustang dyno. They offer very low numbers compared to a Dynojet dyno. This is common on a Mustang.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Not to worry- I just noticed it was on a Mustang dyno. They offer very low numbers compared to a Dynojet dyno. This is common on a Mustang.
Yep, Mustang Dyno's are known as the 'Heartbreakers'. Especially with the diesel tuning folks trying to break the 1000+ HP mark.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Great info [MENTION=441]Marty17[/MENTION]

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Yep, Mustang Dyno's are known as the 'Heartbreakers'. Especially with the diesel tuning folks trying to break the 1000+ HP mark.
The only reason I will contest is the fact there are before and after runs. The gains will still be the same but may have a higher number to the wheels.
For example -

Stock on a Mustang: 196 whp
Stock on a DynoJet: 207 whp

After LAP3 on a Mustang: 223whp
After LAP3 on a DynoJet: 234 whp

The above results I put for a DynoJet is not accurate. This is only a depiction of the how the dynos will work. Results will be lower on a Mustang BUT, the difference (or gain) between stock and tuned numbers will be the same, regardless of the dyno you choose. Hope this helps

bam3vo

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium RWD
How does the Lap3 compare to stock in terms of overall performance. Reponsiveness, 0-60 and fuel effiency?