Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Decision Help

Pretorien

Reactions
City
Cockeysville
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Volvo V60
I just "stumbled" onto the Stinger yesterday - before that Kia had not been on my radar during my current new car search. Prior to that point, the closest I had come was driving the Genesis G70-based crossover SUV. I will admit to being surprized that, beyond an initial structural resemblance, the Stinger checked enough boxes to merit adding it to an Audi A7/Porsche Panamera decision set.

A bit of seat time and control fiddling (no driving opportunity yet) makes me want to continue the investigation.

One of the differences I have encountered is an information "gap." In looking at the A7 and Panamera, I can, via the "build" function on corporate web sites, find detailed descriptions of all of the standard and optional functions, and, in the case of the latter, both cost and access (stand-alone or part of a "package") I have found no comparable utility for the Stinger and dealers descriptions on the 'net are often non-specific.

This leads me to the first two (of what I suspect may be many) questions that I would like to pose here:

1. Sitting in the car, I found the seat good but not quite up to the competition. I assume that it was the "8 way" seat - fore & aft, up/down, backrest angle & lumbar support. In descriptions I have seen mention of a (14?) (16?) way seat. Does this really exist and where/how is it included in the build spec?
2. A function of my current car (2015 Volvo V60) that I find useful: It "reads" speed limit signs (actual reading, not inferring from a map) displays a miniature speed limit sign on the dash, and alerts me with a sound signal when I enter a zone at higher than permitted speed. Is this function available on the Stinger?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Reactions
City
Brick
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger 2.0L
Kia bundles all of the bells and whistles based on trim but has some quirks. For instance, the only way to get the heated steering wheel is to opt for AWD. I have a base model wth awd and I have it, yet higher trim RWD models do not. Considering your other options you will most likely be looking at a GT2 which comes with all the higher end options included. You may find a listing of all the specs on a 3rd party site such as cars.com or similar.

I can't speak to the built in navigation but I do know that Google maps via android auto will show the posted speed limit, not sure about alerts though... (would probably drive me nuts.. riding at the speed limit in NJ will get you run over)

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
OP
P

Pretorien

Reactions
City
Cockeysville
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Volvo V60
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the info - I've found lists of features by trim level that have addressed almost all my questions. The GT2 checks all the boxes save one - and I find it a bit puzzling. My 6 year old Volvo has a very nicely implemented traffic sign recognition function that reads speed limit signs and shows them as an icon on the instrument panel. I believe I read somewhere that the Stinger has this function in the European market but not, so far as I can tell, in the US. ???

Reactions
City
Hurstbourne
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 GT-Elite
Prior to getting my 2019 GT2 I drove a 2017 M-B E-Class coupe-- before that a BMW 5 Series M-Sport with the $3500 Dynamic Handling Package option. When I test drove the Stinger, It checked all my boxes.

With respect to handling/drivability, it was not quite up to the BMW handling performance. The interior was nice, but not as nice as the Mercedes. Nevertheless, I felt the Stinger was a very nice car, and being about $25K less than the previous cars, it was a GREAT value. I have not ever had ANY buyer's remorse.

No-- the GT2 does not READ speed limit signs-- but the GPS maps display the speed limit signs on the dash, on the display, and on the Heads UP display-- while NOT 100% correct, they are pretty damn close to that. AND Kia will update your software & maps twice a year at NO COST to you. (I never paid more than $10 to update BMW maps, but M-B gives nothing away!$!)