Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Dash-Top Red Blinking LED ?

Reactions
City
Northern
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 GT2 AWD
What is this?

I have searched the (miserable) Owner's Manual several times, and can find no explanation.

The LED blinks constantly, while the car sits in my garage ... unlocked, no activity ... for weeks on end!

Being an LED, it probably uses minimal power.

But, why is it there? What is it indicating? Why doesn't the (miserable) Owner's Manual mention it? Is this something I can turn OFF?

Devo9er

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
It's mostly just a theft deterrent. It's a passive message, "don't mess with me, I'm armed or have advanced features to prevent you from stealing me. Maybe there's more to it but that's my take. It's pretty common on lots of newer vehicles.

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger 2.0T AWD
It's to tell people the vehicle has an alarm system and that you can't easily start it due to the intelligent key fob.

OP
Jay Tea
Reactions
City
Northern
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 GT2 AWD
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for your response Devo ... I can see what you are saying. I guess.

Parked on the street, in some miserable big city neighborhood, a red blinking LED might deter some gang-banger from stealing a $50,000 KIA.

Still, I'm surprised I have no control of turning it off, when the theft-deterrent system is not "armed", and the car is sitting in my garage, unlocked!

I've got to admit, my Stinger is the first new car I have purchased since 2006 (my loaded Toyota Prius!).

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
to be honest the alarm system on the stinger is awful. I put in an aftermarket one and now I also have a blue flashing LED along with me RED Flashing one [perfect10]

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger 2.0T AWD
to be honest the alarm system on the stinger is awful. I put in an aftermarket one and now I also have a blue flashing LED along with me RED Flashing one [perfect10]
I agree. Which aftermarket alarm did you get?

OP
Jay Tea
Reactions
City
Northern
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 GT2 AWD
Thread Starter #7
Hey Kool - Now if you get a blinking white LED, you will be a patriot [clap][clap]

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
guess i never noticed it blinked when it was unlocked too..

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Kia Stinger GT2
My 2011 Hyundai Sonata I had before the Stinger did the same thing I think it was the Alarm deterrent. I'd be curious if it is due to not sensing the key fob close by like when the mirrors fold up when you step away and fold out when you get close it might be worth it to try and test that out to see if the key is close to the vehicle the light does not blink but when taken away even if unlocked it comes on. Maybe if you forget to lock your car or something it will still be a deterrent perhaps.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I’ve noticed mine blinks when the car is unlocked and is solid when locked