Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Consumer Reports 2018 Kia Stinger Quick Drive

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
[video=youtube;Z23ztuujxfA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z23ztuujxfA[/video]

Korean manufacturers have made strides in the last few years, yet the premium sports saloon segment is one that they shied away from. Not anymore, as Kia made the Stinger to compete in this particular segment.

The brand's challenger to the likes of the Audi A5 Sportback and BMW 4-Series Gran Coupe is one of the most coveted cars of the year thanks to its good looks, driving credentials and powerful engines.

Consumer Reports got its hands on Kia's sports saloon and found that, on the track, it is firmly planted and its steering is quick, but opting for the 19-inch wheels, combined with the standard suspension setup, doesn't do the ride any favors.

Ingress and egress is not exactly easy either, because of the Stinger'slow-slung design, but once inside, you'll get to sit in those comfortable seats and be surrounded by lots of premium materials, a generous infotainment system, and lots of safety and comfort equipment.

Space on the rear bench is kind of compromised, as passengers taller than six feet will find their heads brushing against the roof, which is due to the slopping roofline. On the bright side, though, the cargo area is more than generous, with Consumer Reports labeling it "almost SUV-like" with the rear seats folded down.

CR will soon buy a Stinger of their own to test it on the long run; until then, let's see what else they have to say about the two cars they drove in the video that follows.

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Civic Si Coupe
For those of you who have purchased the GT2, did these guys have a point about the shifter? Or is that a matter of opinion and these guys weren't fans.....Just curious. How about the other annoyances they had? Good points or just opinions?

Reactions
State
DC
Country
United States
For those of you who have purchased the GT2, did these guys have a point about the shifter? Or is that a matter of opinion and these guys weren't fans.....Just curious. How about the other annoyances they had? Good points or just opinions?
He just seemed to be saying it looked like a conventional PRND shifter, but putting it in park required pressing a separate button. This is becoming more common as shift-by-wire electronics are installed in more cars, so it's nothing unique to the Stinger. Seems odd that a CR reviewer would even make this observation, as I'm sure they've driven other cars like this.

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Civic Si Coupe
He just seemed to be saying it looked like a conventional PRND shifter, but putting it in park required pressing a separate button. This is becoming more common as shift-by-wire electronics are installed in more cars, so it's nothing unique to the Stinger. Seems odd that a CR reviewer would even make this observation, as I'm sure they've driven other cars like this.
Ok thanks for the input. I was trying to understand what he had issues with....

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Agreed. The knock on the shifter's a bit silly once you've driven it for a bit. The need to stretch a bit to hit the display is valid. It's taking me a bit longer to get comfortable with that.