Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

CAUTION! Backup Sensors Don't See Posts

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Saab 9-5 AERO. Stinger GT on order
Hi All.

My perfect Stinger is no longer perfect. Probably $800 damage to reset/relocate the rear bumper. OUCH!

Anyway, the rear sensor warning went off at the same time I backed into a post. It occurs to me that a round post, or a square one with a corner facing the car is actually stealth technology to the rear facing radar.

In my case, the post was about 6"x6" square steel with the corner of the square facing the car. Hence the radar reflected off to the sides and not back to the car to be sensed.

My solution. Look behind as you back up all the time!

Be careful out there.

Steve O.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Hi All.

My perfect Stinger is no longer perfect. Probably $800 damage to reset/relocate the rear bumper. OUCH!

Anyway, the rear sensor warning went off at the same time I backed into a post. It occurs to me that a round post, or a square one with a corner facing the car is actually stealth technology to the rear facing radar.

In my case, the post was about 6"x6" square steel with the corner of the square facing the car. Hence the radar reflected off to the sides and not back to the car to be sensed.

Be careful out there.

Steve O.
Giggling quietly to himself... Sorry [MENTION=148]Steve O[/MENTION]. Glad that it's not worse.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Sorry to hear that.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Damn!!!....sorry to hear that [MENTION=148]Steve O[/MENTION]
Was it not visible on the 360 camera?

OP
Steve O
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
I probably was but it was an open parking lot with no cars so I backed up not looking back. So my eyes never saw it and the sensors did not sound until contact. Like I said, It's the car's fault!!
Seriously though, if you start relying on the sensors, next thing you know... you can back into a pole. Just like I did.
Hence... BE careful out there.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Hi All.

Be careful out there.

Steve O.
Backup sensors NEVER See they only Detect it is up to you to SEE. Seems you have a $800. Vision Tutorial Good luck on your repair. My 1st accident as a teen, I backed into a telephone pole. I hate backing up. Enjoy the backup camera now

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions
City
Beavercreek
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
I sympathize!
I backed into to my own Xterra.
Sensor screamed - Bam!
All my fault. I was using side mirror/down to reverse up the edge of the driveway...
I did not check all. I "assumed' sensor was just saying "Hey! You are next to a car..." (which I was as well)
Fortunately, minimal damage. "whew"

Manchuz

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
I'm old school. I still do the whole neck turn, body twist, arm behind the passenger's headrest when I reverse. I need to see exactly what I'm reversing into first. Once I start the motion and know what I'm dealing with, then I'll use the backup camera and listen for the sensor beeps.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I've had a few close calls with parking blocks up front too.

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Me too. I've even had young ones from work call me out on it.

Bobmiami

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger RWD
Same thing happened to me...now are you going to repair and repaint or replace the whole bumper?
My car is 3 days old... and I don?t want it to have difference in color.

OP
Steve O
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #12
Same thing happened to me...now are you going to repair and repaint or replace the whole bumper?
My car is 3 days old... and I don't want it to have difference in color.
I got lucky. The bumper was just shifted off its mounting and the shop that has fixed my cars since 1989 reset it and replaced a few fasteners for free.

The bumper has a very small fold line where it creased and that's all. So my Stinger has a barely visible battle scar until someone rear ends me.

I hope you can have the same luck.

Bobmiami

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Stinger RWD
Not really, unfortunately...
My bumper got poked through, I?m probably gonna need a new one...
Wonder how much it costs, since it has the back up sensors and all...
My deductible is pretty high (2K), so let?s see what happens...
I?m glad yours was quickly solved!

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 KIA STINGER AWD GT1
It took me more than a few cars with backup cameras to get used to using the camera without crashing into things. My initial experiences with the B.U.Cameras were worse than all those years without. It's a different part of my brain that I never used... Now - I don't think I could drive without one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Maintenance, Warranty Issues & Troubleshooting 2