Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Braking distance from 164 ft. to 154 ft.

Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2022 Pearl Stinger GT-line 2.5L AWD
Hello!
What would it take to get another 10 ft. shaved off my 70 - 0mph braking distance ? stock AWD is ~ 164 ft. according to C&D... I track the car against some cars like Civic Type R which has a braking distance of ~ 142 - 146 ft 70 - 0 ... Don't want to replace tire & rims (less weight) since they're very good already... maybe Hawk Pads & different type of rotors ... steel lines and different fluid? Another 15 ft. would be even better! ;)

Last edited:

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Hate to tell you but buy a lighter car, rotors an brake pads will help but it will only help so much. If you buy a Big Brake kit that will help even more but your looking at a price around 4k to 8k+. The only way to shave braking distance is to shave weight off the car.

Reactions
City
La Vergne
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT Indigo Edition
other than reducing weight, one of the only other things would be stickier tires for the surface. I think by widening the front tire patch would help quite a bit as well... 225 mm stock width isn't that wide. Comparing to the 2020 m340i with the same size tires, it's quite comparable considering the m340i they tested was rwd at 3813 lbs 156 ft 70-0 vs our awd weighing in at over 4000 lbs. c&d test of the 2018 stinger gt rwd was also 156 ft..

just can't really compete without aero brakes etc to a car with just as sticky tires and good brakes that weighs ~~1,000 lbs lighter... definitely a lot to do with tires since the base civic which weighs 150lbs less than the type r takes 160ft to go 70-0...

if you don't already have pilot sport 4s or other ultra sticky tires, that will make quite a good difference.. the primacy a/s which came on our awd, does the best in it's class still taking about 5 feet farther to stop from 50-0 than the pilot sport 4s.. add speed and that difference will grow for sure. tire rack uses the same 2020 f36 430i for testing.

sidenote, it is interesting how most of the uhp summer tires don't do as great in the wet as basic grand touring tires.. 1601071271009.png

Last edited:

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Slotted rotors and track pads. Upgraded suspension parts will allow the car to stay balanced during hard braking therefore allowing the brakes to work more efficiently. It’s not much, but every little bit helps, especially on the track.

Hapa88

Reactions
State
AZ
What I Drive
2019 GT1
As someone who also tracks their car too (and other cars), I can tell you that what you want is a sticker tire (like tires with UQTG of 200 or less) and a better compound brake pad (like a race pad). I use Carbotech XP12s and XP10s for my track sessions on stock rotors and calipers. The next thing to do is to reduce the car's weight by removing panels, spare tires, interior, etc. The next step would be to upgrade to larger calipers and rotors with larger and/or more pistons that'll give you a greater braking torque like the 6 pistons in the Stinger GT420.

It should be noted, however, that a wider tire will not help you with braking distance, as it will make the contact patch wider and thinner (which is opposite of what you want for braking). Wider tires are better suited for increased cornering grip.

Slotted rotors will help with heat dissipation, but will also not help in reducing overall braking distance (since you're reducing the overall rotor surface area with the slots). They'll help with keeping the braking distance more consistent over multiple braking events, but they won't help reduce what it already would have been.

Steel brake lines also won't reduce braking distance. They help with pedal feel and consistency. Lastly, brake fluid won't help reduce overall braking distance either, but again it helps with consistency and will help prevent the fluid from boiling if you're doing a lot of braking that generates tons of heat. This is an absolute necessity if you track often and on tracks that have a lot of high speed straights that lead into hard braking zones.