Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Been crazy difficult to get safe to drive!

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 KIA STINGER AWD GT1
Oh man, This is what I'm going through, waiting for the parts to use my winter tires. TL-DR - he gave me the wrong size rings, but luckily I ordered the right ones on my own and have them now, finally. I am not happy with this run-around with rings from Discount Tire.

[video=youtube;Tisg4j7iTws]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tisg4j7iTws[/video]

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Man that's some harsh weather.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
lol you sound like you're suffering from hypothermia.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT
Oh man, This is what I'm going through, waiting for the parts to use my winter tires. TL-DR - he gave me the wrong size rings, but luckily I ordered the right ones on my own and have them now, finally. I am not happy with this run-around with rings from Discount Tire.

[video=youtube;Tisg4j7iTws]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tisg4j7iTws[/video]
Are you talking about a centering ring so a wheel with larger hub bore can fit snugly on the hub?

OP
Crayola Grey
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 KIA STINGER AWD GT1
Thread Starter #5
Are you talking about a centering ring so a wheel with larger hub bore can fit snugly on the hub?
Yes, luckily I ordered some from eBay and was finally able to get safe tires fitted today! [raceflag]

[video=youtube;QS1JTl70t44]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS1JTl70t44[/video]

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
Next time don't fret too much about the centering rings. They're there to aid with wheel installation onto the car. Their absence doesn't pose problem with the wheels being installed correctly on the car; the cone seat on a lugnut does the job of centering the wheel.

OP
Crayola Grey
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 KIA STINGER AWD GT1
Thread Starter #7
Next time don't fret too much about the centering rings. They're there to aid with wheel installation onto the car. Their absence doesn't pose problem with the wheels being installed correctly on the car; the cone seat on a lugnut does the job of centering the wheel.
The aluminum cone-seats on my chinese aftermarket wheels might hold for a while . . . You can rely on just that, but I like having the rings. Aluminum cone seats aren't hardened or anything . . . I mean, look how much they stretched within the first 15-20 miles of driving. [unbelieveable]

[video=youtube;s0Bmf0u7L3M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0Bmf0u7L3M[/video]

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The aluminum cone-seats on my chinese aftermarket wheels might hold for a while . . . You can rely on just that, but I like having the rings. Aluminum cone seats aren't hardened or anything . . . I mean, look how much they stretched within the first 15-20 miles of driving. [unbelieveable]

What wheels are those? I could barely make it out in the video.

OP
Crayola Grey
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 KIA STINGER AWD GT1
Thread Starter #9
HELO-KIA-STINGER.jpg

All done, finally. The increase in traction is incredible. I've never driven anything better than all-season (and the stock summers) before this... This is incredible to me. I'm over the moon, and it was worth the hassle, but it's been a stressful month... Such a relief to finally be roadworthy for my climate now. Whew.

OP
Crayola Grey
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 KIA STINGER AWD GT1
Thread Starter #10
What wheels are those? I could barely make it out in the video.
The other video is much more clear, but to save you from that, they're HALO HE-907's. Pretty effin' sick, right?!

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
View attachment 2096

All done, finally. The increase in traction is incredible. I've never driven anything better than all-season (and the stock summers) before this... This is incredible to me. I'm over the moon, and it was worth the hassle, but it's been a stressful month... Such a relief to finally be roadworthy for my climate now. Whew.
Nice winter shoes, what tires are you running?

OP
Crayola Grey
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 KIA STINGER AWD GT1
Thread Starter #14
Nice winter shoes, what tires are you running?
Thanks! Michelin X-ICE XI3, 225/45-18's all around.
Because my OCD feels like I have a matching set between these and the stock Michelin Pilot 4 Summer tires now. [screwy]

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive

In the video, the extra (partial) turns on the lug nuts are small. The seats on the wheels do compress a bit providing cold-working and, as a side effect, hardening the surface of the seats. If there was coating overspray, the tightening process compressed or removed it. However, those extra partial turns are far from the meaning of stretching.

Regarding the ring, if it was to provide a precise positioning of a wheel and to provide load-carrying capacity, the ring would need to have a more snug fit between the hub and the wheel. Now, it doesn't hurt to install those rings, but in this case, I would have installed the winter set sans rings given the choice of running a summer set in the snow and ice.

Also, when tightening the a lug nut, support the torque wrench head (pull it up), otherwise the extra leverage will result in higher applied torque than the reading/preset value. If anti-seize compound applied to the thread of the studs, the applied torque should be slightly reduced.

Are the rings plastic or metal (usually aluminum)?

OP
Crayola Grey
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 KIA STINGER AWD GT1
Thread Starter #16
In the video, the extra (partial) turns on the lug nuts are small. The seats on the wheels do compress a bit providing cold-working and, as a side effect, hardening the surface of the seats. If there was coating overspray, the tightening process compressed or removed it. However, those extra partial turns are far from the meaning of stretching.

Regarding the ring, if it was to provide a precise positioning of a wheel and to provide load-carrying capacity, the ring would need to have a more snug fit between the hub and the wheel. Now, it doesn't hurt to install those rings, but in this case, I would have installed the winter set sans rings given the choice of running a summer set in the snow and ice.

Also, when tightening the a lug nut, support the torque wrench head (pull it up), otherwise the extra leverage will result in higher applied torque than the reading/preset value. If anti-seize compound applied to the thread of the studs, the applied torque should be slightly reduced.

Are the rings plastic or metal (usually aluminum)?
[dictate]
Dude. I heard you the first time. Please cease all this unsolicited, bad advice. Do you work for Discount Tire, by chance? You can drive YOUR car sans motor-oil if you want to for all I care, while posting endlessly about how it won't hurt (look, it starts right up with all the oil drained out!), but that doesn't mean you're right.

Let's not argue about this. I will use the centering rings and you should get off this thread.