Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Awd custom mode question

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CUSTOM AND ECO AWD SETTING IS? I KNOW SPORT IS 80/20 BUT I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE OTHER TWO[thankyou]

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
all i know is i can do some nice power slides in sport mode[rockon]

OP
CARmello Yellow
Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
Thread Starter #3
65 views and 1 reply=nobody knows[ninja]

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
65 views and 1 reply=nobody knows[ninja]
Hahahahaha

Well @CARmello, this is the truth unfortunately. LOL

I even went to the level of talking to my central region training center supervisor in Chicago to ask him if he knew how the center diff changed for differing modes.

He had no clue. LOL

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
As best as I know, Custom Mode is set from the Center Display. Custom Mode allows you to select Sport/Comfort/Eco for the individual items.

Again, haven't read it anywhere, but played with it on my own.

I have started putting the car in sport mode when I am at an intersection or need to turn across traffic. Once I accelerate out of harms way, I flip to ECO. I flip back to Sport when I again get to an intersection or need the more responsive acceleration.

Not sure a Custom setup would help me, because I don't always want just one of the transmission shift point settings. But, it was fun playing with it.

All posts are for entertainment, are my opinions and not meant to be acted upon. All photos are copyrighted and not for use by others, without express written consent by me.

OP
CARmello Yellow
Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
Thread Starter #6
i couldn't find any info in the owners manual or anywhere i searched..id like to know which one is 50/50 so when it snows i can do awd doughnuts in parking lots[lockdance]
Hahahahaha

Well @CARmello, this is the truth unfortunately. LOL

I even went to the level of talking to my central region training center supervisor in Chicago to ask him if he knew how the center diff changed for differing modes.

He had no clue. LOL

mfox

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
I can't believe knows the answer to this.
I would like to know if there is a true 50/50 for snow?

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I can't believe knows the answer to this.
I would like to know if there is a true 50/50 for snow?
I know that there is no lock to hold 50/50. I would speculate that comfort would be the most 50/50.

mfox

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
But again.
Why do we have to speculate?
Big trade secret?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Well wouldnt "custom " be whatever you have it set to? We all know that sport is 80/20. So in your custom setting you have it on "sport" for drivetrain than its 80/20. For eco mode it's probably normal 50/50.

kenwu

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
I believe Sport is 20/80, and Comfort is 40/60. I have no clue what ECO AWD mode is, but my guess is mostly FWD (at least that's how it feels in the snow).

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 AWD
OP
CARmello Yellow
Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
Thread Starter #13
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 AWD
so eco mode awd is the last in question....what a great team we have!![cheerleader]
Great Question since the car setup does show a distinct ?ECO? setting for AWD independent of power train (which I assume if shift firmness and how long fears are held)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CARmello Yellow
Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
Thread Starter #15
i think shift points are defined in powertrain... the awd selection is for delivery to the wheels
Great Question since the car setup does show a distinct ?ECO? setting for AWD independent of power train (which I assume if shift firmness and how long fears are held)

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 AWD
i think shift points are defined in powertrain... the awd selection is for delivery to the wheels
That?s what I was trying to articulate.

We?re on the same page.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 GT1 AWL Aurora Black Black Int
Section 5, page 108 is all that's in the manual:

SPORT/CUSTOM mode SPORT/CUSTOM mode manages the driving dynamics by automatically adjusting the steering effort, and the engine and transmission control logic for enhanced driver performance. ? When SPORT/CUSTOM mode is selected by pressing the DRIVE MODE button, the SPORT/CUSTOM indicator (orange color) will illuminate. ? Whenever the engine is restarted, the Drive Mode will revert back to COMFORT mode. If SPORT/CUSTOM mode is desired, re-select SPORT/CUSTOM mode from the DRIVE MODE button.
? When SPORT/CUSTOM mode is activated: - The engine rpm will tend to remain raised over a certain length of time even after releasing the accelerator - Upshifts are delayed when accelerating ? When CUSTOM is selected, ESC off indicator lights up (ESC off state 1)
? ? NOTICE In SPORT/CUSTOM mode, the fuel efficiency may decrease.
ECO mode When the Drive Mode is set to ECO mode, the engine and transmission control logic are changed to maximize fuel efficiency. ? When ECO mode is selected by pressing the DRIVE MODE button, the ECO indicator (green color) will illuminate. ? If the vehicle is set to ECO mode, when the engine is turned OFF and restarted the Drive Mode setting will remain in ECO mode.
? ? NOTICE Fuel efficiency depends on the driver's driving habit and road condition.

OP
CARmello Yellow
Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
Thread Starter #18
thats all i could find too.
Section 5, page 108 is all that's in the manual:

SPORT/CUSTOM mode SPORT/CUSTOM mode manages the driving dynamics by automatically adjusting the steering effort, and the engine and transmission control logic for enhanced driver performance. ? When SPORT/CUSTOM mode is selected by pressing the DRIVE MODE button, the SPORT/CUSTOM indicator (orange color) will illuminate. ? Whenever the engine is restarted, the Drive Mode will revert back to COMFORT mode. If SPORT/CUSTOM mode is desired, re-select SPORT/CUSTOM mode from the DRIVE MODE button.
? When SPORT/CUSTOM mode is activated: - The engine rpm will tend to remain raised over a certain length of time even after releasing the accelerator - Upshifts are delayed when accelerating ? When CUSTOM is selected, ESC off indicator lights up (ESC off state 1)
? ? NOTICE In SPORT/CUSTOM mode, the fuel efficiency may decrease.
ECO mode When the Drive Mode is set to ECO mode, the engine and transmission control logic are changed to maximize fuel efficiency. ? When ECO mode is selected by pressing the DRIVE MODE button, the ECO indicator (green color) will illuminate. ? If the vehicle is set to ECO mode, when the engine is turned OFF and restarted the Drive Mode setting will remain in ECO mode.
? ? NOTICE Fuel efficiency depends on the driver's driving habit and road condition.

OP
CARmello Yellow
Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
Thread Starter #19
haha i realized that after i posted..[histerical]
That?s what I was trying to articulate.

We?re on the same page.

roverny

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
i couldn't find any info in the owners manual or anywhere i searched..id like to know which one is 50/50 so when it snows i can do awd doughnuts in parking lots[lockdance]
I must say, I'm pretty disappointed by the lack of information as well.

And not just for this issue. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but it would be nice to know some quantitative data on how much does sport mode change the steering, suspension, etc.