Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Auto Hold vs Idle Stop & Go??

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Guys,

Driving my Stinger yesterday, I noticed a light on the tacho that said "Auto Hold". I had no idea what it meant. I'm still not too sure.

Checking for info on Auto Hold, I've now encountered another term: Idle Stop & Go. What's the difference between Auto Hold Idle Stop & Go?

I guess I've been using one of these two without knowing the Kia term for the system. When I stop at a red light, I apply the handbrake with the auto in D and the handbrake automatically turns off when I touch the accelerator when the lights turn green. Is that Auto Hold Idle Stop & Go?

PAH

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
When I stop at a red light, I apply the handbrake with the auto in D and the handbrake automatically turns off when I touch the accelerator when the lights turn green. Is that Auto Hold Idle Stop & Go?

PAH
Stop doing that!

If your car has "auto hold". You unfortunately have to enable it per drive cycle.

The parking brake being disabled automatically when you are in drive and press the gas while your seatbelt is on, is neither auto hold or ISG. It's just a feature of EPB (electronic parking brake).

I have attached the description of the Stingers EPB system.

View attachment description.pdf

OP
P

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Thread Starter #3
DJT: Why do I have to stop doing that? Do you think that I'm hitting the hand brake before the car has stopped?
Just to clarify, I am activating the hand brake after the car has stopped. Let's know if we've misunderstood each other.

I have no idea why the Auto Hold light came on. When I saw the light on, I stopped the car and the engine. When I restarted the engine, the Auto Hold light disappeared.

Thanks for the pdf. I'll check it.

PAH

Last edited:
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
DJT: Why do I have to stop doing that? Do you think that I'm hitting the hand brake before the car has stopped?
Just to clarify, I am activating the hand brake after the car has stopped. Let's know if we've misunderstood each other.

Thanks for the pdf. I'll check it.

PAH
You certainly do not have to stop doing that.
Just know that you are NOT doing yourself any favours. Why would you pull the EPB switch when you could literally just enable the auto hold feature and the same outcome would occur automatically (no need to press parking brake switch each time you stop)

The parking brake is literally designed for parking - as in, long extended durations. Not intended to be cycled repetitively.

The auto hold feature uses your cars hydraulic brake system to hold the car stopped at a stop light for frequent and repetitive stops, while the vehicle is in gear.

If you pull the EPB switch while the vehicle is still moving (which I do not think you are doing), but if you did that, the hydraulic brakes would be utilized. See first bullet in attached screenshot.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Limited
Just to clarify, I am activating the hand brake after the car has stopped.
PAH
I assume you mean you activating the EPB (Electronic parking brake)

And not some, hand operated brake!

OP
P

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Thread Starter #6
My car is a 330S. It doesn't have the Auto Hold switch near the Drive Mode knob. I haven't seen an Auto Hold switch anywhere. If I hadn't seen "Auto Hold" light up on the tacho, I'd have remained totally unaware that such a thing existed.

As far as I am aware, there are two things I can do to prevent the car rolling forwards at red lights. Keep my foot on the brake. Or activate the EPB.

Given that there's an "Auto Hold" light in the tacho, I guess the feature must be included in the car but I have no idea how to access the feature.

I can't see a problem with using the EPB after I stop at red lights. It seems to do the job. Let's know if there's a reason not to use the EPB.

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Send a pic of your console and the buttons directly behind the shifter. Then we can point it out to you.

white03

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Santa Fe Sport 2.9T
I use the EPB all the time, almost every time I stop. I never use auto hold. Why you asked. Because these Stingers have brake pads that leave deposits on the rotors which then cause vibrations when braking. The deposits are left when the brakes are hot and you stop for a period of time (like a stop light) holding the brake petal. Using the EPB when I stop releases the brakes and removes the pads from the rotors, thus no deposits.

I'll keep doping this until I get around to replacing the OEM pads with pads that don't leave deposits on the rotors

Reactions
City
San Antonio
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
20 Stinger GT
Auto-Hold Automatically applies the E-Brake for you when you stop.

OP
P

pah

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 330S
Thread Starter #10
Yes. I found the dang switch when I had a closer look. It was right under my nose!