Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Adding wireless Qi charging to US models

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
Thanks to [MENTION=48]TurboTx[/MENTION] for posting this screen grab of the production model without the Qi wirless charging pad, it got me thinking that perhaps adding this on your own doesn't look too difficult. All the power harness already exist so it's just a matter of swapping out the existing cubby to one with the wireless charger. Hopefully this part is something we can order from local Kia dealers, if not we may have to order them from Canadian dealers. What do you guys think?

Reactions
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2, 2004 MSM
I think this is a great option to look into. I would think the wiring harness is the same between the canadian model and US model. Swap out the cubby and console, gain wireless charging and cup holder cover.

Reactions
State
DC
Country
United States
Will be interested to see if the 360? cams can be retrofitted as well, based on the same thought that the electronics are probably already in place (as evidenced in another thread), and wiring harnesses may be too. The most expensive part would probably be replacing the front radar unit, which needs to have the integrated front camera.

Reactions
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2, 2004 MSM
That's a very interesting idea. I don't know much about that technology, but I wonder if it would also require a software update for it to display the 360 view on the head unit.

Dan

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Acura TLX
The charging pad doesn't look that difficult install/swap. I agree with [MENTION=105]ralzod[/MENTION] and would love to see someone do a 360 camera retrofit too as that's one of the important features I wish we would have gotten.

That's a very interesting idea. I don't know much about that technology, but I wonder if it would also require a software update for it to display the 360 view on the head unit.
Most likely it will unless Kia left the 360 camera settings in tact inside the Uvo software.

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Range Rover Evoque
How about buying a flat, anti-slip Qi wireless charging pad and leaving it in the cubby with the cable connected to the USB port all the time? That should work as long as the charger has over heating and short circuit protection, right?

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
You can also put the charging pad in the center console and run the wire to the rear 12v.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
I have a feeling that the 360 camera and wireless charging will be available to the USA.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
When though? These cars are selling and will keep selling like hotcakes, with the amount of press and awards the Stinger is getting. If Kia does not act soon, the addition of those options will piss off a lot of the new owners.

Reactions
State
DC
Country
United States
When though? These cars are selling and will keep selling like hotcakes, with the amount of press and awards the Stinger is getting. If Kia does not act soon, the addition of those options will piss off a lot of the new owners.
Don't hold your breath for anything before the 2019s come out, best case.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Wait until 2019 models. These shipments got here so dealerships could have them before the end of the year. Retro-fitment is fine but if it'll come with the options you want next year from the factory, pace yourself. They aren't going anywhere

Last edited:

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
maybe we can get a Qi charger part number from our friends in Canada as it seems they did get the 360 camera and the Qi charger.

[/IMG]

Zylan

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
I think you'll find the mirrors don't even have the 360 degree cameras any more.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2