Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

octane boost

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
stinger GT2
does anyone use octane boost in their stinger, I can only get 91 octane if I chip it I would want to run 93 octane. And the octane boost I looked at are cost alot

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
does anyone use octane boost in their stinger, I can only get 91 octane if I chip it I would want to run 93 octane. And the octane boost I looked at are cost alot
You can run it on the 91 profile, for me the power gains between 91 and 93 isn't enough to justify the inconvenience.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I wouldn't recommend octane boosters for daily drivers. From my understand it's not sparkplug friendly.

Stick with 91 octane. If you're adventurous you can try splash blending 91 octane with E85 to bump up to 93 octane. Use it at you're own risk though.....

Here's a calculator for determining the mixture ratio.

http://www.georgebelton.com/E85Calculator.php

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Remember, octane booster is boosting the octane rating by tenths, not a whole number. If the bottle says "raise by 7", it's actually raising the octane by .7. For example, fill a car with 91 octane and add the "7" octane booster, your octane will equal 91.7 octane. See below for attachment if my explanation wasn't enough. Nothing wrong with octane booster but, it's kind a waste

http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/dooctaneboosterswork.php

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
There are two types, one as Stingin'Away said are the generic boosters that only raise a few tenths which are pointless to use in my opinion. The others (Ex. Torco, Boostane, VP) as Bubbabiker stated use additives (mainly MMT) to increase octane, MMT is in most unleaded race gases and even in some pump gas but in much less quantity. These MMT based boosters genuinely work and can bring the Anti-Knock index up to race gas levels depending on the ratio you mix, however the MMT will leave a reddish residue on the plugs, valve terrain, cats, exhaust sensors. The long term affect of this residue is not clear on the engine but many report changing the spark plugs and O2 sensors more often. I personally believe that both options are not ideal to use on a daily basis.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
There are two types, one as Stingin'Away said are the generic boosters that only raise a few tenths which are pointless to use in my opinion. The others (Ex. Torco, Boostane, VP) as Bubbabiker stated use additives (mainly MMT) to increase octane, MMT is in most unleaded race gases and even in some pump gas but in much less quantity. These MMT based boosters genuinely work and can bring the Anti-Knock index up to race gas levels depending on the ratio you mix, however the MMT will leave a reddish residue on the plugs, valve terrain, cats, exhaust sensors. The long term affect of this residue is not clear on the engine but many report changing the spark plugs and O2 sensors more often. I personally believe that both options are not ideal to use on a daily basis.
That's correct. I have not bought and tested the actual ratings of different octane boosters but there are some that are better than others. The gains the companies are seeing are in optimal conditions. Everyday driving is different.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
FYI - Page 1-4 of the Owner's Manual states that "Kia does not recommend the use of gasoline containing MMT".

MMT was developed, manufactured and sold by the same fine folks who came up with idea of adding lead to gasoline and then spent decades defending its use despite published documenting the health effects of lead. Originally Tetra ethyl lead was sold under the company name Ethyl and later changed to Ashton Chemical to protect the innocent much like Philip Morris changing their name after the cigarette lawsuits.