Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

LAP3 Uncle Chip review

Larmyca

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
where do you buy the chip?

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
where do you buy the chip?
I would hold off on buying this for now until it's thoroughly tested on your platform. Couple of members here had some issues with spark plugs because they weren't originally informed by the seller to upgrade them.

Larmyca

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
don't even have the car yet , researching - also not decided between the Stinger and G 70 - trading in my 2014 Evo

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
For the Stinger you can order the Lap3 Chip from k5optimastore.com

There's also two new chip that's very close to being released.

RaceChip
https://www.kiastinger.org/forum/threads/1394-RaceChip-GTS-Black-Initial-Review

JB4 from Burger Motorsports
https://www.kiastinger.org/forum/th...rts-currently-being-developed-for-the-Stinger
The Race Chip tune is already out. All the reviews I've seen have been positive. They even have a $100 coupon right now.

The BMS JB4 is still in it's testing phase. A few of us have bought it so far. I've not had any issues with mine in the 50 or so miles I used it. A couple of users experienced misfires and sputtering. They've updated the firmware a few days ago. Not sure if it fixed the issues.

Reactions
State
NM
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1
Has anyone been running the LAP3 for the 3.3 after re-gapping the stock plugs? Please provide chip setting and octane.

Reactions
" ...
and
-- the AIR-FUEL-RATIO (AFR) always remains below the level that predisposes to detonation in the cylinders? "

I believe that's the goal when it comes to tuning, yes. In stock form, these cars run a bit rich (conservative) and compensate for airflow changes by monitoring A/F ratio in real time and adjust on the fly, within their allowable range. This is how the LAP3 Uncle Chip gets away with turning up the boost without having to control fuel also. It only turns it up enough to add some gain, without requiring the car to go outside of its pre-programmed limits for fuel adjustment due to WBO2 feedback.

Yes, AFR was logged stock, as well as with each level in the Lap3 Uncle Chip. See the graphs below. HP on top, boost level in the middle and AFR on the bottom. 4 runs graphed. Orange is stock, green is with 89 octane setting, blue is with 91 octane setting and red is with 93 octane setting.

View attachment 467

We only get 91 octane here in Vegas due to our elevation above sea level and the lower density altitude pressure here. In most cases, that means we can get away with the same tuning here at 2000'ASL with 91 octane fuel as someone at sea level would with 93 octane fuel. With the 93 octane setting, the box caused my car to knock at the very top of 1st, 2nd and 3rd, and right when the shift occurred into the next gear. That last 10hp wasn't worth the risk for me, so I went back to the 91 octane setting and it works great.
A bit over a year on this thread, yet I'm curious on the three digit settings & changes they represent.

The three dials originally were recommended at 666 for 93 octane, 755 for 91 octane & 744 for 89 octane. Then it was decided perhaps 666 was too hot and it should be 755 for 93 octane and 744 for 91 octane. Then it was suggested that perhaps 655 is the magic combination for 93 octane.

I understand as the last pair of numbers go up, 44/55/66 that the boost increases with each step. What value is obtained from starting with a 6 or a seven? A bit more fuel enrichment from changing for example 80-105* ambient air to a signal for 40-50* air?. OK, what else?

I'm feeling perhaps a couple of degrees difference in timing advance from 6 to 7 which is why the two lower boost settings start with a seven. That also helps explain the later high setting suggestion of 655. In 666 the graph shows HP maxxed out about 1K RPM sooner than the other two. The turbo has run out of its capability and/or the volumetric efficiency is done at that point in this application.

If 655 is the nuevo safe, hot ticket, as opposed to 666, then why 755? Or why not 644 instead of 744? What does the first number of the LAP3 chip setting represent?

Reactions
So I wanted to post an update about something I mentioned early on; driving in Comfort mode. Last week I challenged myself to go at least 3 days using only Comfort, instead of only Sport. I wanted to see if it would have any effect on MPGs. I don't know what happened but driving in Comfort is COMPLETELY different than it was the first few days; it's actually pretty fast now!

I take back everything I said before, it's not groggy in Comfort, instead I would say it's simply relaxed. In fact I've been driving strictly in that mode for exactly a week now. Even with me beating on it just as I did in Sport, I'm averaging about 2 miles per gallon better than I was when I used only Sport (hasn't dropped below 20 yet).

I can't say enough good things about this chip. I'll try to get some acceleration videos next time we get above 60 outside.
From original post starting on Jan 20, 2018 to this post on Feb 8, 2018 . Now the next three pages have been dominated by Keith until it died out. Nothing wrong there, he's knowledgeable on the Uncle and shares info, but just another thread about the Uncle chip that starts off rosy though eventually ending up abandoned by OP.

I've enjoyed the dyno graphs posted by Keith. However, I'd enjoy seeing from idle or at least 1500 to 3K as well. At 80mph I'm only 2250-2300 rpm. Not so much HP or torque, but AFR.

Perhaps on models w\o a lot of miles the O2 sensor will provide the proper AFR regardless of chip setting. It's my understanding that the short\long term trim will be called upon for reference. Hence the Opie's abrupt discovery of lively performance out of nowhere after driving while on sport mode.

Likewise driving around in eco for extended periods may leave a somewhat flat response for a bit after switching to sport. Same with driving style. You keep your foot in it and it runs swell. Take a break for Sunday driving and note the response WOT is a bit off.

The adaptive learning at progress. I would avoid the highest 666 setting as the plague. Appears to be too much risk for a little more gain over the 755 setting.

My prob with the Uncle chip vendor(s) is that they don't shite from shine-ola.

In a nutshell: Use expensive spark plugs, catch cans & top tier gas. Any other problems are addressed by, "Oh, the petrol in South Korea is of higher quality. Or it's like 94 octane to our 93.

The Uncle chip is overpriced by about 2X and has no support. Even the Garrett dick over at KATA claims that eventually the chip will kill any mill it's attached upon.

The same that praised it 2015-2016, said it was no prob in Korea as the "tune" the chip for the car and now say the same about the Lap3 Tune.