Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Couldn't Pass it Up

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Decided to take a trip to Minneapolis and came out with this... It's not a Stinger but it sure was up there on my radar! Very happy with how it drives. CPO and a great deal!

'15 Genesis 3.8 HTRAC w/Signature and Tech package. More pictures to come

I guess I'll go indulge on the Genesis forum a bit but I won't be leaving here. Ever lol

IMG_0034.jpg

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Congrats, that?s the G80 right?

OP
Stingin' Away

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #3
Congrats, that?s the G80 right?
It's still considered the Genesis under Hyundai since it's a '15. The brand Genesis started in '17 I believe. However, literally the same car down to the tires fitted from the factory.

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
It's still considered the Genesis under Hyundai since it's a '15. The brand Genesis started in '17 I believe. However, literally the same car down to the tires fitted from the factory.
Yeah I meant to ask if it?s the same as the new G80

Reactions
City
Wake Forest
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT2 (CERSIL/RWD)
Really cool car. Please do continue to post your experience.

Congrats on the new ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Stingin' Away

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #6
Really cool car. Please do continue to post your experience.

Congrats on the new ride!

Will do, thanks! I ordered the trunk wing emblem to blend in with the Genesis crowd. There's two; chrome and black chrome. I went with just chrome because the black would be different than the front hood emblem. Should be here in two weeks or so

Last edited:
OP
Stingin' Away

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #7
Revival!

Been awhile since I have posted here. It's been a bit over two years since I've had the Genesis. Did a small review on it. I STILL have the GT and GT1 on my radar as CPO options are becoming a thing. This review was done early February. Hope all of you guys and girls are doing well. Enjoy (y)

**Before anyone ventures to read this, know most of us are enthusiasts and that why we are on this forum. We enjoy seeing others, enjoying the same car/brand we have.

The road has been long and eventful. I've had my 2015 Genesis now for two years and two days. According to Fuelly, I have driven 28,946 miles since. Tac on about 200 on the current tank and a tank before I started using the app. All in all, about 29,546 miles. I'll dive into each of the subtitles in the title so you get a better picture of the time I've had with it and the joy/heartbreaks I've endured. This is my second Hyundai product and I have had an above average experience when it comes to being taken care of under warranty matters. I bought it as a CPO car and added a third-party warranty up to 10yr/125k miles bumper-to-bumper. As I will describe below, maintenance on the car is considerably less than the competing companies this car is compared to, but the units and parts are just as expensive. So let us go down memory lane; see what I have been through with this automobile.

The Good: Every since I saw it first, that I remember, back in 2017, it grew more and more on me. I was initially looking to buy one out in Colorado but this one had the Tech package and was less money in Minnesota. I am attracted to white so this stuck out even more (the other was Empire State). The seats are great for long hauls, the steering wheel isn't too big, and the heated/cooled functions are now a necessity. The looks is what really makes this car stand out for me. I do not think it looks like anything else on the road but it has a large and commanding presence. I've always been one to like "presence" when it comes to what I buy and this was no exception (Does this make me the "He's compensating for something" guy?). Oh well, at least the lady is happy with my performance...

This car has been a pleasure to drive throughout the nearly 30k miles I've had it. Whether it is 15 mph in my neighborhood or 85 mph on I-90 in South Dakota, it has won me over. As you'll see below, the pictures are from various states and places and it has never left me stranded. The gas mileage is better than expected having HTRAC. I drive rather conservatively 98% of the time so that helps. The occasional 100 mph trip happens but I save those for Mexico; talk about a far drive just to do that... Overall, for me, the way a car makes me feel is when I know I have something I'll keep and enjoy driving. Each time I get in, I feel good to be driving this car; a Chevrolet Equinox would not do the same for me. I've considered selling it but I know I'd kick myself in the a** if I did. I've done that multiple times with cars I've had in the past and, of course, I kick myself in the a**. However, without doing that, I wouldn't have the Genesis today so I guess I'm thankful for some of my rash decisions.

This car makes me feel good. As an enthusiast, this is a very important piece as to why I buy the cars I do. If my money is going to something I feel is worth it, I have no issue paying for it. I think about what I will buy next, but I am in no rush with a healthy 66k miles on the clock.

The Bad: There have only been a few instances where the going has gotten tough. There was a rough idle issue when I first bought it. There were clogged injectors and it would sputter for the first 20 seconds or so then straighten out. I took it to the dealership and they stated the warranty wouldn't be available unless I did a top engine clean. This was a $260 service that I was not happy paying for. I knew it was an injector issue and even pointed that out to them. As do all of them, the stealership receive my money and went ahead and completed the service. Whether they though it would help or not, I've no idea. As I figured, it did not help the problem. Took it back a week later and had all 6 injectors replaced under warranty. This issue was around 37k miles and I have not had a duplicate issue since (fuel injector/fuel system cleaner every 3k miles nfor insurance).

The other issue was when my backup camera went out. I had the lovely blue screen show when I would put it into reverse. I thought it was no big deal since there's a warranty. I get it, things happen. I take it in and they replace the camera which does not fix the issue. The service adviser proceeded to tell me it was the head unit and that I would have to pay a hefty $2,700 for another. Wasn't happy with the findings but I had the dealership make an inquiry to Hyundai Satisfaction and they offered to cover the cost; nothing out of pocket for me, part wise, but I would have to cover the labor charges. I was happy they covered this knowing the electronic warranty for 2015's and older is 3yr/36k miles. They installed the head unit and, unfortunately, this was not the issue either. They insisted to put another camera which did not fix it either. After doing that, they even put in another head unit to see if that would correct the issue; no sir. Hyundai had to sent out two engineers from California to find a wire harness that was wearing excessively in the trunk. They swapped that out and voila, it worked.

In total, they had the car for 57 days for the camera issue. I was over the car at that point and reported this to the BBB and claimed the car was a lemon. I wanted Hyundai to buy the car back since they put about $9,000 worth of head units and cameras in the car to not solve the issue. Since the car was fixed before my court date (over the phone), I had nothing to stand on. I was okay at this point since I had my car back and it was fixed. I got a new camera and head unit out of it so the blow was not as bad. Thankful really, since the warranty was expired on the head unit. The new ones carried a 12mo/12k mile warranty. Other than these two issues, it was been reliable, stable, and able to perform when I've needed it.

The Ugly: I think I was p***ed off for only 10 minutes after it happened. I was driving home from the airport when bambi came out to cure her curiosity of headlights. I smacked her going about 35 mph. I saw her but it was too late. There was a car passing me on the right (I was already going 70 in the left lane) and a median on the left so I had no where to go. Slowed down as much as I could but she still kept coming out into the lane. See pictures for damage. Doesn't look that bad but totaled $8,700 with parts and labor. The paint and work done was up to my standard besides them not covering the wheel when they sprayed the fender so there's a hint of over spray on it. Ol' boy came out and stated it was the wheel itself underneath the top layer. I chuckled and made it known there is a lifetime warranty with their work and that I'll be back.

One other time I was getting off I-70 and was stopped at the light. I was creeping since there was a van in front of me turning right as well. Now, I had turned off my parking sensors because I had gotten Wendy's that day through the drivethru. Anyone who has parking sensors knows they go off if you get too close to a car or the polls outside of the drive-thru window. I turned it off because I was sitting for awhile and that beeping was getting old quickly. Still being off, I kept creeping and was looking left to see if any cars were approaching. Sure as sh**, the van was still there and I gave it a love tap. Nothing happened to hers and she had plenty of scratches and scrapes from the typical minivan owner. My headlight washer cover broke off and the washer itself needed replaced. Very minor, but definitely as inconvenience. Do you think I ever turn off the parking sensors now?

The Pretty: This comes to no surprise that the pictures below, minus the deer strike, are the pretty days. Most, if not all of them, are pretty, even when the car is dirty. This car has taken me to Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Iowa, and Nebraska. All of these trips have been comfortable and "Pearl" is willing each and every time. I have plenty more pictures from the views we've had together but these will do. I'll be heading to Chicago this weekend with the lady to see a buddy so I'll snap some pictures.

--

Overall experience with the car? 9.2/10. I'm comparing this to cars I've had in the past and this one is on the podium and probably will be for a long time. Power was not a factor when buying the car, but I do wish it had a bit more gitty-up. However, It is adequate for the driving I do and for it being 4600 lbs. The technology is helpful when I need it and the options are a pleasant treat. There isn't a day where I do not want to drive this car. I plan to keep it for awhile or at least until I hit 125k miles. At the rate I drive now @ 15k/yr, it'll be another 4 years. I may get another car along side it, but it'll have a space in the garage for quite some time. I write these because we all have different experiences with our vehicles; this is mine. I like hearing other's stories about how ownership has gone for a particular car so feel free to share.

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Congratulations @Stingin' Away, it's nice to see you back on here, great looking car.(y)