Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

"Grasp the Steering Wheel" and Other LCD Warning Messages

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
While driving down a straight level stretch of I-182 I got the above message (or something very close to it). Apparently you need to move the steering wheel a little bit while you're driving. This is not documented in any of the User's Guides or Manuals. In talking with others there are similar types of warnings on other car models so this is not necessarily unique.

What I am really looking for is a list or reference to all the LCD warning messages and the icons for the LCD display as not all are shown in the Features and Functions Guide. Do either or both of these lists exist somewhere?

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Was there an audible alarm with this?

OP
T
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
Thread Starter #3
Was there an audible alarm with this?
No audible alarm - just a message on the LCD and it repeated again after about 3/4 of a mile with no movement of the wheel even though I was still holding the wheel.

OP
T
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
Thread Starter #4
An update to my original post.

There are two different warnings displayed for essentially the same thing. One warning is Grasp the Steering Wheel and the other is Don't Let go of the Steering Wheel. In either case all you have to do to cancel the warning is to slightly move the steering wheel. However, if the steering wheel icon is on (the icon just to the left of the Gear (P, N, D) the car will steer itself for about a quarter of a mile before turning on the warning again. This was done on a stretch of open highway and I assume the car uses the white edge of road markers to make steering adjustments.

Not sure this is documented anywhere in the manuals but the self-steering is interesting.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD
No audible alarm - just a message on the LCD and it repeated again after about 3/4 of a mile with no movement of the wheel even though I was still holding the wheel.

That?s odd, because i DO get an audible warning. Its similar to the rapid chimes you hear when you get icy road warnings, low fuel etc, but the whole thing is kinda annoying. It really doesn?t allow you to relax on a long drive and just steer lazily with one hand...you really have to keep both hands on the wheel at all times for it to work, which sorta defeats the purpose of reducing driver fatigue, i feel :/.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
While driving down a straight level stretch of I-182 I got the above message (or something very close to it). Apparently you need to move the steering wheel a little bit while you're driving. This is not documented in any of the User's Guides or Manuals. In talking with others there are similar types of warnings on other car models so this is not necessarily unique.

What I am really looking for is a list or reference to all the LCD warning messages and the icons for the LCD display as not all are shown in the Features and Functions Guide. Do either or both of these lists exist somewhere?
This happened to me once on I-80 heading back from Reno, I originally attributed to the cold weather but your theory makes sense.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I've noticed that it seems to provide some feedback to the wheel every now and then to see if you resist it. Like a mild movement of the wheel to see if you hold it back. If not, after a few times then it does that warning.

The idea is to check whether you actually have a grasp on the wheel. Similarly, if a rut were to pull the wheels off one way or the other or a big gust of cross wind pushed the car you would have to resist that. If you are grasp is so light that you don't resist it, then the reality is you aren't in control.

That's just my theory.

OP
T
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
Thread Starter #8
The fact of the matter is that the warning message (the audible alarm may be on but I usually am playing music off of my USB drive) comes on when I am holding the wheel with both hands going in a straight direction. This happens all the time as I tend to drive with both hands on the wheel with a rather firm grip. It has never happened when I have driven with one hand on the wheel when there is some movement in the steering wheel. The message stops when I jiggle the steering wheel. The actual way this seems to be setup is the opposite of just driving with no hands on the wheel. I wonder if this is a programming error.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I don't have the exact reference in the user manual, but I recall reading that the steering wheel has a sensor (pressure or movement?) so that with the LKA active, it has to know you're holding the wheel and not trying to let the car drive itself. It is a safety feature to prevent inattention. See manual page 5-111 and following.

Reactions
State
CT
Country
United States
This sounds like driving a Tesla. The self driving mode always wants you to keep a light touch on the steerig whell and it warns if you don't. of course the tesla has an actual real self driving mode, but i gather it is still in beta.

OP
T
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
Thread Starter #11
I believe now that I have failed to convey my message in an accurate manner so I will try to state in as matter-of-fact manner as possible the situation that I have been trying to describe, which BTW I have today conducted several "tests" to verify the information:

In in each scenario below I am traveling in a straight line on a straight section of dual lane Interstate highway with Lane assist on and the green steering wheel icon illuminated next to the "D" on the LCD panel.

• If I take my hands off of the steering wheel the car continues to proceed without any warning messages. I was only able to maintain this for about 30 seconds before encountering a curved section of road. Let me repeat, neither WARNING MESSAGE came on!
  • If I rigidly hold the steering wheel with both hands and prevent any movement of the steering wheel the "Keep Your Hands on the Steering Wheel" message is displayed. If I briefly, and momentarily, move the steering wheel the message goes away.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Interesting. Assuming that the sensor (such as it is) is looking for random movement of the steering wheel (I don't know this, just guessing since I don't have a service manual available), it is possible in the first situation that there is enough vibration from road expansion joints, etc. that "no hands" actually allows some very slight movement that is enough to trick the computer into thinking you are holding the wheel when you are not. In the second case, holding the wheel in a totally solid position might overcome those slight vibrational movements and the computer doesn't see enough change -- so it turns the warning on. Just guessing here....

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I believe now that I have failed to convey my message in an accurate manner so I will try to state in as matter-of-fact manner as possible the situation that I have been trying to describe, which BTW I have today conducted several "tests" to verify the information:

In in each scenario below I am traveling in a straight line on a straight section of dual lane Interstate highway with Lane assist on and the green steering wheel icon illuminated next to the "D" on the LCD panel.

• If I take my hands off of the steering wheel the car continues to proceed without any warning messages. I was only able to maintain this for about 30 seconds before encountering a curved section of road. Let me repeat, neither WARNING MESSAGE came on!
  • If I rigidly hold the steering wheel with both hands and prevent any movement of the steering wheel the "Keep Your Hands on the Steering Wheel" message is displayed. If I briefly, and momentarily, move the steering wheel the message goes away.
So, the system simply looks for steering input. It determines input based on resistance to the electric power steering motor. So, whether you're on a straight or curved road, it will look for light resistance. It really takes very little resistance to determine that the driver is grasping the wheel.

If you are firmly holding the wheel straight down a straight road, the system will be fooled into thinking that your hands are vacant due to the lack of steering change. If you held that same firm grip on a wavy road, you will never get that message. Sometimes when you remove your hands, if the conditions and road are right and straight, it can wait as long as 30 seconds to alert the driver. Most customers do not drive with no hands regularly and/or drive on straight roads all of the time.

Ultimately, all of those systems can be adjusted or turned off in the settings if someone finds them intrusive.

OP
T
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
Thread Starter #14
My driving with no hands on the wheel was an experiment and, as I stated, I mostly drive with both hands on the wheel and the constant reminders to "Keep My Hands on the Wheel" are a nuisance.

Do I ask the dealer to have the sensitivity changed?

OP
T
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
Thread Starter #15
So, the system simply looks for steering input. It determines input based on resistance to the electric power steering motor. So, whether you're on a straight or curved road, it will look for light resistance. It really takes very little resistance to determine that the driver is grasping the wheel.

If you are firmly holding the wheel straight down a straight road, the system will be fooled into thinking that your hands are vacant due to the lack of steering change. If you held that same firm grip on a wavy road, you will never get that message. Sometimes when you remove your hands, if the conditions and road are right and straight, it can wait as long as 30 seconds to alert the driver. Most customers do not drive with no hands regularly and/or drive on straight roads all of the time.

Ultimately, all of those systems can be adjusted or turned off in the settings if someone finds them intrusive.
MurlinatoR:

My dealership does not know how to adjust these settings - can you please provide some guidance?

Thanks

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
MurlinatoR:

My dealership does not know how to adjust these settings - can you please provide some guidance?

Thanks
No problem. In the dash cluster is your driver assistance screen (trip computer). If you toggle to the setting page and then go down to the driver assist screen, you will find the section for lane departure/keep system. You can adjust it from sensitive to standard to lane departure ONLY. The less sensitive setting you choose, the less intervention the computer will give. The LDW only option will no monitor hand presence at all.

OP
T
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
Thread Starter #17
No problem. In the dash cluster is your driver assistance screen (trip computer). If you toggle to the setting page and then go down to the driver assist screen, you will find the section for lane departure/keep system. You can adjust it from sensitive to standard to lane departure ONLY. The less sensitive setting you choose, the less intervention the computer will give. The LDW only option will no monitor hand presence at all.

Thanks! I have forwarded to my dealer (they have only sold 3 Stingers to date so I am quite the lone-wolf
here.

OP
T
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
Thread Starter #18
MurlinatoR (or Others):

Your last post allows for changing from Active or Standard or LDW. None of these options actually allows the sensitivity to be changed. Previous posts have indicated that a sensitivity adjustment (besides what I described above which is only a 3-way adjustment) is available for this function. Is this true and, if so, how is it accessed - through the driver or the dealer?

Thanks

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
No self configurable option, no. Maybe the dealer can with tthier special equipment.

However, I've found that the active mode actually has fewer false positives because it more often gets resistance from me holding the wheel. I find the standard mode to be rather useless anyway. I usually have it on active and if it's ever annoying on a particular road, just turn that whole system off with the button on the dash to the left of the steering column.

I put transparent stick on rubber drawer bumpers (for cabinets) on the buttons so you can feel them and it's less distraction to find and press them.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Correct, no adjustments other then the driver settings mentioned above.