Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Shifting into Manual Mode

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Saab 9-5 AERO. Stinger GT on order
It seems the only way to shift into manual mode is to use a paddle shifter. If you do this stopped, okay. If you do it while driving you must shift up or down. You can't shift into manual mode without shifting up or down. I HATE THAT! Am I missing something?

I asked this in the chipping and engine mods thread. I'll ask it here too:

Hi K8 Stinger Store. How about modifying the transmission mode a bit. I'd lover to pull on both paddles to go into a full manual mode while staying in whatever gear I'm in. Then it's full manual until you pull on both paddles again and it goes into auto again. It drives me nuts that it keeps upshifting or downshifting when I just want it to stay in gear. If it has to downshift automatically as you are slowing to a stop rather than stall, okay I'll forgive that. But every time I want to engine brake in stop and go it upshifts just as I take my foot off the throttle, or going downhill. Can do? The ultimate chip would give me 410 hp and full manual if you pull both paddles. Pull both on. Pull both off. That would be CQQL

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I share your pain on gear change when hitting the paddles. However, I can't think of a situation when I want to shift up a gear. And I feel that, if I want to go manual, the first thing I want to do is downshift. That being said, I understand where you're coming from.

I think K8 Stinger Store is just a reseller of products and don't do any tuning on their own. I could be wrong. I think you want to get your input to LAP3 and other actual tuners.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
You'll need a flash device to do something like this. As of now there's none that exist.

OP
Steve O
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #4
Good point. I'll send my inquiry to Lap3.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Kia Optima SX, 1972 911 Targa
The 2.0T (I have a Premium model) allows for manual lockout via the shifter, which is how I drive it all the time (just like my 2012 Optima SX). Driving in this mode also disables the auto stop go feature.

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD Aurora Black
The 2.0T (I have a Premium model) allows for manual lockout via the shifter, which is how I drive it all the time (just like my 2012 Optima SX). Driving in this mode also disables the auto stop go feature.
I just read another thread where a rep claimed (on the shift by wire models) shifting into D twice will enable the "manual mode" that's on the traditional shifters. I have to try this later today but I'm skeptical.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I don't have mine yet, so this is just what I understand from the manual (which is available online).
The GT/GT1 is not "shift by wire" so the shifter can be pulled to the left to enter (and presumably) lock in manual mode. Then you can use the paddles and shift to your heart's content.
The GT2 with the "wired" shifter apparently (as [MENTION=472]Berzerker[/MENTION] said above) will enter manual mode with a second pull back into "D". It's in the manual.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Seat Leon 2001
Can someone conforme the manuel mode in a GT 2 ?

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Manual p. 264 (5-14). You can get the manual online as a .PDF

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Can someone conforme the manuel mode in a GT 2 ?
I just tried the suggested function from the rep on here and my dealer, but neither work. Looks like we don't have a true "manual" mode on the Shift-by-Wire feature. Slowing down to <4.3 MPH, letting go of the accelerator for 6+ seconds, moving the shifter to D again, or holding the + paddle for >1 second will bring you out of manual mode, with what looks like no way around it.

Manual p. 264 (5-14). You can get the manual online as a .PDF
That's only on the <GT2. GT2 has shift by wire, starting on 5-20.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I would be curious how owners feel about that. On the GT1 without the wire shifting, you have a simple gate into manual mode like on my G8 GT. Pull the shifter into manual and ... you're in manual. If this IS true with the GT2, my GT1 is looking better all the time.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Seat Leon 2001
Sure, a nice to heave but i think, you will just use in the beginning. Later just cruise and let the car work for you.
But ..... damm, i want that feature too.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I think letting the transmission figure out its own upshift times is probably better than you can do on your own. I think all 0-60 times are logged that way. The other way, downshifting, just using the paddles doesn't require you to switch to manual mode -- such as preparing to descend a long hill or in the mountains. Except when caught in snow and forcing a 2nd gear start, I can't really see any advantage to manual mode.

OP
Steve O
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #14
This is a general request to all ECU hackers: HELP! The Stinger needs a real manual mode. Pull on both paddles to go into manual (without shifting), pull on both to go back to automatic.

OP
Steve O
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Thread Starter #15
My manual mode would be used for cruising among tall buildings at 20 to 30 km/hr and listening to the sweet sounds of the mill under the hood. Pure boyish play. I agree the tranny shifts beautifully for power driving on two lanes. As I've experimented lately, it automatically shifts better than I thought possible actually.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
My manual mode would be used for cruising among tall buildings at 20 to 30 km/hr and listening to the sweet sounds of the mill under the hood. Pure boyish play. I agree the tranny shifts beautifully for power driving on two lanes. As I've experimented lately, it automatically shifts better than I thought possible actually.
What do you mean a true manual mode?

In my car, if it's in sport mode, or the engine/trans setting in custom is set to sport, then it holds the gear you change to when you tap a paddle. It does not shift, ever, other than shifting down as you slow or to D when you come to a stop.

How is that not a true manual mode?

When in comfort or eco, however, it changes back to full auto after a short period of time after a paddle shift.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Looks like we don't have a true "manual" mode on the Shift-by-Wire feature. Slowing down to 1 second will bring you out of manual mode, with what looks like no way around it.
Yes we do. Put it in sport mode and the automatic change back to auto mode doesn't happen. Similarly with the Sport option chosen for the engine/trans setting when using Custom mode.

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Yes we do. Put it in sport mode and the automatic change back to auto mode doesn't happen. Similarly with the Sport option chosen for the engine/trans setting when using Custom mode.
Even in sport mode, if you go below 4MPH, pull the gear down to D again, or hold the + paddle shifter for more than 3 seconds, it'll put it back into automatic mode. There's truly no way to keep it in manual mode until you want it off manual mode in the shift-by-wire models.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Even in sport mode, if you go below 4MPH, pull the gear down to D again, or hold the + paddle shifter for more than 3 seconds, it'll put it back into automatic mode. There's truly no way to keep it in manual mode until you want it off manual mode in the shift-by-wire models.
What does it mean to be in manual mode while stopped?

So just tap a paddle when stopped and you will be in 1, no?

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
What does it mean to be in manual mode while stopped?

So just tap a paddle when stopped and you will be in 1, no?
...but I don't want to have to do that. In a lot of other cars, my 2017 440i for example, if I switch into Sport shift mode, then manually shift (either by paddle or gearshift) to be in "M" mode, it won't leave that until I switch it back into automatic myself. Come to a stop, sit in M1.