Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Shifting into Manual Mode

DeltaV

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Marc,

Not disagreeing with your comments, but if we?re talking about a request to an aftermarket supplier of ECU flashes who could enable us to alter the compromises that Kia made to ensure a wide appeal for the car to our performance preferences, why not ask for things Kia couldn?t provide?

I?m more than willing to give up some comfort and silence if I can reap more useable power and predictable handling.

Reactions
City
Viimsi
State
Non-US
Country
Estonia
What I Drive
Stinger GT(2)
I don't have mine yet, so this is just what I understand from the manual (which is available online).
The GT/GT1 is not "shift by wire" so the shifter can be pulled to the left to enter (and presumably) lock in manual mode. Then you can use the paddles and shift to your heart's content.
The GT2 with the "wired" shifter apparently (as [MENTION=472]Berzerker[/MENTION] said above) will enter manual mode with a second pull back into "D". It's in the manual.
definitely does not work here.
pulling back twice from D or turning off all driving assistances, ... nothing works because there is simply no solution to the problem.
And unfortunately the manual is very clear. Under ''paddle shifter (manual mode)'' it says:

The system changes from manual mode to automatic mode in one of the following situations.
1. The [+] paddle has been pulled and held for more than 1 second.
2. The accelerator pedal has been depressed gently for more than 6 seconds.
3. The vehicle speed is lower than 4 mph (7 km/h).
4. The shift lever has been pulleddown and released.

''2. The accelerator pedal has been depressed gently for more than 6 seconds.''
>>> this is the condition everyone is pissed about. This makes no sense at all to do that. Just why? If I want to go back to D, then I pull D, don't make me go there automatically.

Unless they come up with an update, there will just never be an Manual mode... :((

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1

Jacopo

Reactions
City
Quarteira
State
Non-US
Country
Portugal
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
definitely does not work here.
pulling back twice from D or turning off all driving assistances, ... nothing works because there is simply no solution to the problem.
And unfortunately the manual is very clear. Under ''paddle shifter (manual mode)'' it says:

The system changes from manual mode to automatic mode in one of the following situations.
1. The [+] paddle has been pulled and held for more than 1 second.
2. The accelerator pedal has been depressed gently for more than 6 seconds.
3. The vehicle speed is lower than 4 mph (7 km/h).
4. The shift lever has been pulleddown and released.

''2. The accelerator pedal has been depressed gently for more than 6 seconds.''
>>> this is the condition everyone is pissed about. This makes no sense at all to do that. Just why? If I want to go back to D, then I pull D, don't make me go there automatically.

Unless they come up with an update, there will just never be an Manual mode... :((
Agree! I find myself driving faster and more agressively just to keep it in manual mode. Basically, it only stays in manual if you boot it all the time. If I step on it and revv it high enough it will stay in maual forever, even in Comfort or Eco mode. But if I do not enter the curve with plenty of throttle, the car may just shift up and go to auto right in the middle of the bend. I am still considering whether this is a car to keep: I like all the rest, but the transmission is just annoying and borderline unsafe. It also does not allow me to use the 8th gear in Sport mode (stiffer suspension) for highway cruising. I thing stiffer suspension is a good thing at higher speeds: it helps to handle any suprise and any side wind. But driving for hours in 7th with higher fuel consumption and noise is just nonsense - mostly in a car branded as a GT (Gran Turismo = long trips with speed, comfort and safety). The car is very pleasant to drive, but the transmission has been designed exclusively for young americans to do quarter mile launches in straight line. Basically people that just like to drive with some fun in a non-extreme way feel "not welcome". It has the looks, comfort and power to appeal to adults who like to drive, but it fails to deliver the basic driving pleasure: a feeling of power and control. For such a potentially brilliant car, the sales figure in Europe and anywhere outside the US are apallingly low. Now we know why... (and no, I do not think it's the badge)

Last edited: