Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Shifting into Manual Mode

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Wow. Yeah mine does not do that. That's how it behaves in comfort mode, for me. I wonder if this is a 2017 vs 2018 thing or a regional shift program difference.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2017 3.3 GT
Yes don't know either. Mine is a 10/17 build. Steve O from Canada also seems to have this problem so not sure if it will be region issue?

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Okay, so I just played with it more extensively on a car here in the US. In ALL drive modes except Sport, this is normal behavior. In Custom, if you set the engine/transmission to eco or comfort, it acts the same. If you change Custom setting to SPORT, it holds the gear.

I'm guessing that it is either a regional setting or possible a logic change in the ECU by the factory.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Okay, so I just played with it more extensively on a car here in the US. In ALL drive modes except Sport, this is normal behavior. In Custom, if you set the engine/transmission to eco or comfort, it acts the same. If you change Custom setting to SPORT, it holds the gear.

I'm guessing that it is either a regional setting or possible a logic change in the ECU by the factory.
And another/newer logic change is already programmed, but of course no word on when or who will receive it because that's how KIA likes to do things.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
And another/newer logic change is already programmed, but of course no word on when or who will receive it because that's how KIA likes to do things.
[MENTION=653]Marc Collins[/MENTION], it's very common for manufacturers to change their software. Kia does regular TSB or campaigns for customers cars through out the year. They're not recalls so no major notice needs to be made. But, when you take your car in for service, they will let you know of updates that need to be performed.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
[MENTION=653]Marc Collins[/MENTION], it's very common for manufacturers to change their software. Kia does regular TSB or campaigns for customers cars through out the year. They're not recalls so no major notice needs to be made. But, when you take your car in for service, they will let you know of updates that need to be performed.
I am well aware of that--have owned many modern cars since the days of software updates.

When there is an issue being discussed here, such as the shift logic programming where we already know there are differences either by age or geography, it would be nice to have some solid info to go on. As an "insider," can you get that? Are you allowed to share?

If not, then your reply isn't really moving things forward. (No disrespect--you have been incredibly helpful overall on this forum.)

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
My build date is 11/17, by the way.

On the semi off topic of updates, it's striking to me how much updating of things they do over the air through the built in cellular data connection. So far, I've noticed an update to the iPod control logic for how random shuffle is handled between ignition cycles, they've fixed the Google voice search prompting in nav or when pressed on the rear view mirror to now actually make the beep it says it is going to on the screen, they made a change to the cruise control distance memory so now it remembers your distance setting, and there was something else that I forget.

No doubt that while they seem to be able to update BCU and infotainment type stuff, they probably can't/don't make changes to ECU or TCU logic.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2017 3.3 GT
When there is an issue being discussed here, such as the shift logic programming where we already know there are differences either by age or geography, it would be nice to have some solid info to go on. As an "insider," can you get that? Are you allowed to share?
And it seems like KIA are playing the different calibrations for different regions card so what may get changed in one country might not translate to another

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
My build date is 11/17, by the way.

On the semi off topic of updates, it's striking to me how much updating of things they do over the air through the built in cellular data connection. So far, I've noticed an update to the iPod control logic for how random shuffle is handled between ignition cycles, they've fixed the Google voice search prompting in nav or when pressed on the rear view mirror to now actually make the beep it says it is going to on the screen, they made a change to the cruise control distance memory so now it remembers your distance setting, and there was something else that I forget.

No doubt that while they seem to be able to update BCU and infotainment type stuff, they probably can't/don't make changes to ECU or TCU logic.
Interesting... I wish they would do the non-map updates that come with the latest map update.

DeltaV

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Hi, all. I?m new here. Joined to get your real-world experiences before making a purchase, so my opinion doesn?t matter much, yet. But I?m really learning a lot from threads like this. Thanks!

I had a 24-hour test drive on Saturday and took a GT2 AWD to the mountain twisties. It?s a great car on the highway and a great car on country roads, but frustrating when driven hard. Perhaps this is an indication that I need a real sports car rather than a sporty sedan, but I agree with others here that if I?ve entered manual mode, the car shouldn?t overrule me an switch back to auto mode...like at a stop.

Yes, I?d be replacing a manual transmission with the Stinger and the test drive was to determine if I?d be getting too far away from a sports car to get the extra space and comfort the Stinger offers. If a manual was offered, or even a DCT, there would be no question...especially if something can be done about the soft, wallowing suspension...even in Sport mode. Any rumors of a Sport+ coming?

Thanks!

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
You may like the Genesis G70 better. A bit smaller, firmer...

Same powertrains, though, however you can get a RWD manual transmission 2.0T version with a LSD and sport exhaust. Lighter weight car too.

If you want a manual trans car, just do yourself a favor and buy one while you still can. If you don't, you'll be unhappy and lose a bunch of money figuring that out

OP
Steve O
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Saab 9-5 AERO. Stinger GT on order
Thread Starter #52
My car has 18000km on it now. That's 12000 miles. Okay, KIA, if you're listening, here's an earful re the transmission and the driving modes to improve ASAP;.
1 - Mode should not revert to comfort every time the car starts. Leave it in the mode it was in when the car was turned off.
2 - If you want to change to manual mode without changing the gear you are in, you should be able to pull on both paddles at the same time to do it.
3 - Once you are in manual mode, never leave it unless the car is turned off or both paddles get pulled at the same time to go back to auto mode.
4 - Do not allow an automatic downshift to override manual mode when accelerating. I should be able to put the pedal to the floor in manual mode and stay in my gear of choice.
5 - Finally, make shifting faster and never stop making it shift faster in sport mode.
That's it! With those changes I'll stick with a paddle shifting automatic in my 2022 car. If not, I'll just have to insist on a 6 speed manual to connect with the car they way I want to. :)

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2017 3.3 GT
3 - Once you are in manual mode, never leave it unless the car is turned off or both paddles get pulled at the same time to go back to auto mode.
Steve O I take it from this above statement that your car doesn't stay in manual mode but goes back to auto after some preset time?

The reason I ask is previously Brandon has said as below that his stays in manual

I drove all the way to work and home today in manual mode and the car never once shifted to D on its own other than when stopping. Light part throttle in 3rd and 4th around 2000 - 3000 rpm all day long with no change of gear or reversion to D.
Now I'm confused as you both are from Canada unless you have slightly different models that don't behave the same. I know my Australian car doesn't stay in manual mode when using sport

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I think the computer is monitoring engine RPM and gear selection. If your RPM goes over or under some programmed value, the transmission will shift to bring it back into the "wheelhouse." We have also been advised that the car "learns" your driving habits and choices and will adjust somewhat to match those preferences over a period of time, especially one-driver cars. So whether it is a timing issue, or because you are outside of the "best" RPM range, the transmission will revert back to automatic. If you are using your paddles constantly (such as driving on a twisty mountain road), the transmission will remain in manual mode if you watch your RPM and keep it in the sweet spot.

Also in addition to the double-paddle return to automatic mode, just tapping the solenoid shift lever back to "D" on the GT2 will return you to automatic.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I think the computer is monitoring engine RPM and gear selection. If your RPM goes over or under some programmed value, the transmission will shift to bring it back into the "wheelhouse." We have also been advised that the car "learns" your driving habits and choices and will adjust somewhat to match those preferences over a period of time, especially one-driver cars. So whether it is a timing issue, or because you are outside of the "best" RPM range, the transmission will revert back to automatic. If you are using your paddles constantly (such as driving on a twisty mountain road), the transmission will remain in manual mode if you watch your RPM and keep it in the sweet spot.

Also in addition to the double-paddle return to automatic mode, just tapping the solenoid shift lever back to "D" on the GT2 will return you to automatic.
Nope. It's simple ECU/TCU programming.

For the cars without drive-by-wire shifters there is a an obvious mechanical lever to get the car to stay in manual. For DBW, the earlier models were programmed similar to a minivan or econocar that assumes the driver is a moron and it shifts back to D by itself as soon as any sign of aggressive driving dissipates. 99% of all modern cars (with a manual shift capability) on the road with no drive mode selection behave this way. Infuriating for those of us who believe that a manual mode is supposed to mean manual mode.

The newer (or certain markets, you can never tell with KIA) Stingers will now, as they should, not revert to D if in Sport Mode or Custom Mode if you have the transmission set to Sport. I have already said about a dozen times until people scream at KIA to fix this, we're all wasting time talking to ourselves. There is no excuse for not updating the software in these cars in a timely manner. And it needs to be done separately from map updates. Go talk to your dealer and local customer service and remind them it is unacceptable that someone who bought the car in the next country over has different functionality based solely on programming. The only things that should differ relate to safety and environmental that are due to national regulations.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I recall hearing that the ECU/TCU "learns" your driving habits and accommodates them. I'll look for that.

In the meantime, also be aware that if you hold either of the paddles for more than one second, it will revert back to automatic, so make sure you aren't "riding" the paddle.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I recall hearing that the ECU/TCU "learns" your driving habits and accommodates them. I'll look for that.

In the meantime, also be aware that if you hold either of the paddles for more than one second, it will revert back to automatic, so make sure you aren't "riding" the paddle.
The transmission learning has been on cars for many years. Works poorly in most cases, unless you always drive with the same level of aggression. No computer can be aware that for whatever reason you suddenly want to switch from toddling along to get up and go. Drive modes are the much smarter way to control that. I hope the Stinger has little or no "learning" algorithms because they will ultimately be annoying and one step behind the driver. Drive modes work well, especially when there is a Custom one. If needed, more settings for the transmission cold be added to Custom, such as Super Sport (the fastest possible shift timing and, of course, no car-prompted reversion to D if you put it in manual) or some other middle ground. Some people want a 1950's slushbox glide to a stop instead of active downshifting. Defeats the purpose for this type of car IMO, but it could be programmed as easily as anything else if that's what customers want.

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
It seems the only way to shift into manual mode is to use a paddle shifter. If you do this stopped, okay. If you do it while driving you must shift up or down. You can't shift into manual mode without shifting up or down. I HATE THAT! Am I missing something?

I asked this in the chipping and engine mods thread. I'll ask it here too:

Hi K8 Stinger Store. How about modifying the transmission mode a bit. I'd lover to pull on both paddles to go into a full manual mode while staying in whatever gear I'm in. Then it's full manual until you pull on both paddles again and it goes into auto again. It drives me nuts that it keeps upshifting or downshifting when I just want it to stay in gear. If it has to downshift automatically as you are slowing to a stop rather than stall, okay I'll forgive that. But every time I want to engine brake in stop and go it upshifts just as I take my foot off the throttle, or going downhill. Can do? The ultimate chip would give me 410 hp and full manual if you pull both paddles. Pull both on. Pull both off. That would be CQQL
I agree 100%.
Had an S4 (which had the feature of putting tranny in manual mode with paddles and keeping it there) and tried to get some answers to this question before trading it in for a Stinger.
Based on the information I got from salesman (no knowledge whatsoever) and another site, I got the GT1.
I prefer having control over the shifts for several reasons...traction, engine braking and most definitely (occasional) fun.

DeltaV

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
1. Stay in previous driving mode on restart
2. One paddle switches to FULL manual mode and changes gear appropriately
3. Both paddles switch to FULL manual mode but stay in current gear
4. In manual mode, bounce off the rev limiter, beep, but DO NOT SHIFT UP!
5. In manual mode, if a downshift would over-rev the engine, don?t shift (stock functionality) but beep to inform driver
6. In manual mode, do not switch out of manual mode at a stop. If I?m too stupid to shift to first gear, I deserve pathetic acceleration.
7. Engine auto-stop should only default on in ECO mode, but state should be remembered for other modes
8. A Sport+ mode is needed for the suspension, especially the wallowing rear
9. Why does HVAC default to footwell outlets upon restart? Keep last state for everything!

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
1. Stay in previous driving mode on restart
We all know why this will never happen. Fuel economy is already poor enough and KIA (like most manufacturers these days) used ECO or COMFORT mode feature to gain a bit extra in EPA ratings. Hyundai has already paid dearly for their fuel economy lying scandal...

2. One paddle switches to FULL manual mode and changes gear appropriately
Already switches to manual with one paddle. Whether it stays there depends on driving mode, which is sensible.

3. Both paddles switch to FULL manual mode but stay in current gear
Sure this could be programmed to trigger transmission sport mode, but a bit unlikely given that it's a bit fidly and most people wouldn't remember it.

4. In manual mode, bounce off the rev limiter, beep, but DO NOT SHIFT UP!
Agree!

5. In manual mode, if a downshift would over-rev the engine, don't shift (stock functionality) but beep to inform driver
Agree!

6. In manual mode, do not switch out of manual mode at a stop. If I'm too stupid to shift to first gear, I deserve pathetic acceleration.
It doesn't if you are in sport mode (with the latest ECU/TCU software).

7. Engine auto-stop should only default on in ECO mode, but state should be remembered for other modes
Won't happen for exactly the same reason as #1

8. A Sport+ mode is needed for the suspension, especially the wallowing rear
Agree. Three settings would be ideal. We also need four (one additional) settings for the transmission. The current Sport could be re-named Sport+ and one in between current Sport and Comfort added that isn't so aggressive.

9. Why does HVAC default to footwell outlets upon restart? Keep last state for everything!
Mine remembers the setting, but I never use full automatic. I use automatic for the temperature, but manual fan speed and direction.
Just my 2 cents worth...