Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Schizophrenic Stinger

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Audi A4
Having read many reviews of the Stinger, I find it interesting and somewhat unsettling that there are so many diametrically opposed opinions about the Stinger. Having spent several hours road testing the GT2, here are some examples of what I am referring to, followed by my driving impressions of the car:

* Many reviewers comment on the lack of wind noise and the lack of road noise while others comment on the significant wind noise and high degree of road noise.

* Many reviewers comment about the compliant and comfortable ride while others call the ride "brittle" and "harsh."

* Many reviewers are impressed with the Stinger's flat cornering while other reviewers comment that the Stinger leans significantly on twisty roads.

* Many reviewers praise the Stinger's stability during aggressive driving on twisty roads while other reviewers find the suspension lacking refinement and providing unpleasant surprises when the car is driven aggressively.

* While many reviewers praise the road feel/feedback provided by the Stinger's steering, other reviewers find the steering lacking in this regard.

* The Stinger's 15 speaker Harmon Kardon sound system also has received decidedly mixed reviews.

I've been able to spend a couple of hours test driving the GT2 RWD model and my personal observations are:

* Wind noise is about average for a car of its class and so is road noise, except on rough surfaces where the road noise is extreme.

* The ride is quite compliant except when going over the strips on some concrete roads, as they cause the ride to become quite jittery.

* In my limited testing, the Stinger has noticeable initial lean in corners but then the suspension tightens up and the lean doesn't seem to impair the cars stability. I didn't have the opportunity to push the car to its limits to see how it responds under those conditions.

* I found steering feedback when the car is in Comfort Mode to be lacking. When in Sport Mode, the steering was (pleasantly) heavier and provided better feedback. Again, until I get a chance to drive it very aggressively, I won't be able to comment on this in more detail.

* Curiously, the Harmon Kardon system's FM and Sirius sound quality was disappointing, lacking dynamic range and sounding rather flat. However, when I played MP3 files off of a flash drive, the sound quality was pretty good.

Still, bass response was only adequate and not as good is it is on my old car's Bose system. I've read some comments from people who question whether the underseat subwoofers are even working. Because there is so little airspace under these speakers, KIA has created an air channel to the "B" pillars to reinforce the bass response. If you place your hand on the "B" pillar you should be able to feel some resonance from the speakers.

My GT2, AWD Stinger is supposed to be delivered later this month and I'm looking forward to putting it thru its paces. In the meantime, I'd be interested in hearing what current owners of the Stinger have to say about the above topics.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
KIA Stinger GT 3.3 AWD EU
Interesting topic. I am curious about the opinions too. What I?ve noticed during watching almost every review available on YouTube was that some reviewers praised the interior while others stated that it seems to be only slightly improved compared to common Kia cars. Honestly I was quite impressed when I took place in the Stinger for the first time. I like the interior and I really appreciate that there are some classic gauges which surround a very nice high res display. I don?t like these full displays which make classic gauges obsolete.

Also the artificial sound inside was praised and hated, depending on the reviewers. My thinking always was that if Kia had implemented a more sporty stock exhaust system the feedback about the engine and acceleration would have been much better. The thing is that the feeling of acceleration is really subjective and is not only based on the pure engine power but also on the sound that gets generated by the exhaust/engine. I think with a proper sound acceleration becomes more emotional, impressive and that results in more fun.

Greetings
Andy

OP
T
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Audi A4
Thread Starter #3
I think the interior is the best I've seen on a KIA. I wouldn't call it luxurious, and I wish there was an option to add wood to the interior and the black interior wasn't so monotone (lacking contrast and color), but the fit and finish seems very good to me. Also, I give high praise to the interior's ergonomically designed controls/layout.

I agree about the gauges/instrument cluster, as the digital display is clear and I also like the analog gauges. I "minimized" the artificial exhaust sound on the test car, as I dislike it on multiple levels.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Nice thread [MENTION=232]treker[/MENTION], you hit the nail on every point. I often wonder if name brand has anything to do with some of the critics who can't seem to get over the fact that its a Kia.

nikpmd

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport
Nice thread [MENTION=232]treker[/MENTION], you hit the nail on every point. I often wonder if name brand has anything to do with some of the critics who can't seem to get over the fact that its a Kia.
Funny you should mention that. I was going through some Stinger threads on BMW and GTI forums, and most people haven?t even test driven it but seem to have a negative opinion on it. I was taken aback at the general lack of car enthusiast attitude and more fanboy-ish attitude. Maybe people simply give more importance to the badge and it?ll probably take years to change perspectives.

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Civic Si Coupe
Funny you should mention that. I was going through some Stinger threads on BMW and GTI forums, and most people haven?t even test driven it but seem to have a negative opinion on it. I was taken aback at the general lack of car enthusiast attitude and more fanboy-ish attitude. Maybe people simply give more importance to the badge and it?ll probably take years to change perspectives.
Good. Then those of us with more open minds can purchase and enjoy the Stinger for what it is.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Having read many reviews of the Stinger, I find it interesting and somewhat unsettling that there are so many diametrically opposed opinions about the Stinger. Having spent several hours road testing the GT2, here are some examples of what I am referring to, followed by my driving impressions of the car:

* Many reviewers comment on the lack of wind noise and the lack of road noise while others comment on the significant wind noise and high degree of road noise.

* Many reviewers comment about the compliant and comfortable ride while others call the ride "brittle" and "harsh."

* Many reviewers are impressed with the Stinger's flat cornering while other reviewers comment that the Stinger leans significantly on twisty roads.

* Many reviewers praise the Stinger's stability during aggressive driving on twisty roads while other reviewers find the suspension lacking refinement and providing unpleasant surprises when the car is driven aggressively.

* While many reviewers praise the road feel/feedback provided by the Stinger's steering, other reviewers find the steering lacking in this regard.

* The Stinger's 15 speaker Harmon Kardon sound system also has received decidedly mixed reviews.

I've been able to spend a couple of hours test driving the GT2 RWD model and my personal observations are:

* Wind noise is about average for a car of its class and so is road noise, except on rough surfaces where the road noise is extreme.

* The ride is quite compliant except when going over the strips on some concrete roads, as they cause the ride to become quite jittery.

* In my limited testing, the Stinger has noticeable initial lean in corners but then the suspension tightens up and the lean doesn't seem to impair the cars stability. I didn't have the opportunity to push the car to its limits to see how it responds under those conditions.

* I found steering feedback when the car is in Comfort Mode to be lacking. When in Sport Mode, the steering was (pleasantly) heavier and provided better feedback. Again, until I get a chance to drive it very aggressively, I won't be able to comment on this in more detail.

* Curiously, the Harmon Kardon system's FM and Sirius sound quality was disappointing, lacking dynamic range and sounding rather flat. However, when I played MP3 files off of a flash drive, the sound quality was pretty good.

Still, bass response was only adequate and not as good is it is on my old car's Bose system. I've read some comments from people who question whether the underseat subwoofers are even working. Because there is so little airspace under these speakers, KIA has created an air channel to the "B" pillars to reinforce the bass response. If you place your hand on the "B" pillar you should be able to feel some resonance from the speakers.

My GT2, AWD Stinger is supposed to be delivered later this month and I'm looking forward to putting it thru its paces. In the meantime, I'd be interested in hearing what current owners of the Stinger have to say about the above topics.
Going to try and reply my best to the *'s

- The wind noise and road noise are entirely objective. There are many road surfaces here in the U.S. so it's hard to say if there is too much or too less of something. It comes down to driving it on roads in your area.

- The ride dilemma is a bit subjective because some have higher tolerances than others. Remember, this is a grand-touring car. It's build for the open road and if you want to have fun, it gives you the ability while eating up the miles.

- Flat cornering and what you expect out of the vehicle is subjective also. If you compare it to a 720S, it's got a universes amount of body roll. Compare it to a Toyota Camry, and it would be night and day. Compare it with a G8 GT, now you have something to relate and compare it too.

- Stability is the same as the * before (look up one ^).

- Steering feel is the same as the last two (look up two ^).

- As for the radio, I heard it. To me, it sounds good for the Harmon Kardon system.

Now onto your observations

- I would say road and wind noise is above average meaing it is louder than comparable cars. I currently drive a G35 Sedan and the highway cruising speed dB's are 67. The Stinger is 71. My G is 9 years old so I think KIA could have put a bit more effort into the cabin noise to feel more refined. It's the first attempt at a sports car for them so I am obliged to give them some slack.

- The roads here aren't the best especially in urban areas. The highways are great and keep road noise to a minimum. I drove in both areas and I felt no jitteryness to the point where I didn't feel comfortable. I didn't notice anything actually until I read your comments and thought about it.

- I can't comment on your lean observation. I think the quickest turn I took was the on-ramp and that was very gradual. It felt planted and I did not feel any body roll.

- I feel comfort mode is to be relaxed and not overbearing. If you are expecting a car to be as responsive in comfort mode as sport, then you'll disappoint yourself.

- As for the Harmon Kardon system, I found it compliant and healthy. I didn't listen on an aux cord, just XM trial channel and the stations here in town.

These are obviously my observations so I am not saying you are wrong or I am right. I enjoying reading your perspective, it's nice to hear other's opinion about cars because it opens my mind to areas I may not even notice. I'll be waiting for an in-depth review from you shortly after your's is delivered.

Cheers [MENTION=232]treker[/MENTION],

Dan

OP
T
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Audi A4
Thread Starter #8
Going to try and reply my best to the *'s

- The wind noise and road noise are entirely objective. There are many road surfaces here in the U.S. so it's hard to say if there is too much or too less of something. It comes down to driving it on roads in your area.

- The ride dilemma is a bit subjective because some have higher tolerances than others. Remember, this is a grand-touring car. It's build for the open road and if you want to have fun, it gives you the ability while eating up the miles.

- Flat cornering and what you expect out of the vehicle is subjective also. If you compare it to a 720S, it's got a universes amount of body roll. Compare it to a Toyota Camry, and it would be night and day. Compare it with a G8 GT, now you have something to relate and compare it too.

- Stability is the same as the * before (look up one ^).

- Steering feel is the same as the last two (look up two ^).

- As for the radio, I heard it. To me, it sounds good for the Harmon Kardon system.

Now onto your observations

- I would say road and wind noise is above average meaing it is louder than comparable cars. I currently drive a G35 Sedan and the highway cruising speed dB's are 67. The Stinger is 71. My G is 9 years old so I think KIA could have put a bit more effort into the cabin noise to feel more refined. It's the first attempt at a sports car for them so I am obliged to give them some slack.

- The roads here aren't the best especially in urban areas. The highways are great and keep road noise to a minimum. I drove in both areas and I felt no jitteryness to the point where I didn't feel comfortable. I didn't notice anything actually until I read your comments and thought about it.

- I can't comment on your lean observation. I think the quickest turn I took was the on-ramp and that was very gradual. It felt planted and I did not feel any body roll.

- I feel comfort mode is to be relaxed and not overbearing. If you are expecting a car to be as responsive in comfort mode as sport, then you'll disappoint yourself.

- As for the Harmon Kardon system, I found it compliant and healthy. I didn't listen on an aux cord, just XM trial channel and the stations here in town.

These are obviously my observations so I am not saying you are wrong or I am right. I enjoying reading your perspective, it's nice to hear other's opinion about cars because it opens my mind to areas I may not even notice. I'll be waiting for an in-depth review from you shortly after your's is delivered.

Cheers [MENTION=232]treker[/MENTION],

Dan
Thanks for the feedback, Dan. I agree about the road noise which is why I drove the Stinger on many different road surfaces which will cover most types of roads in the U.S. (and probably elsewhere). I also used a decibel meter to get the "objective" info, though the frequencies which make up the noise can affect the perceived level of noise.

Regarding my comment about the noise level on most surfaces being comparable (except on coarse roads) to cars which compete with the Stinger, I also used the decibel meter with them. The Stinger gave readings as low as 64 decibels on blacktop and as high as 77 decibels (on coarse pavement). This was at 70mph. Of course, the tires play a huge role in the level of road noise, so road tests with the optional 18" wheels and tires likely will yield a different result.

As for ride quality, steering feel, and the car leaning on curves, of course this is subjective, and I am basing my personal comments on my experience with cars which compete with the Stinger. I believe the Stinger uses progressive rate springs which could account for the initial lean on curves.

Regarding Comfort Mode verses Sport Mode, I don't think that inherently either mode needs to be unresponsive or uncomfortable and didn't mean to give the impression that either mode falls into either of those categories. Comparing the 2 modes with each other. I found both modes provided a comfortable ride, with the Sport Mode providing noticeably better steering feedback and much more aggressive (great fun) throttle response. Also, the jittery ride I experienced on one particular type of rode surface occurred with both suspension modes.

Once I have my car, I am looking forward to breaking it in and then having the opportunity to extensively test it and put it thru its paces. :)

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Once I have my car, I am looking forward to breaking it in and then having the opportunity to extensively test it and put it thru its paces. :)
I think it is safe to say all of us on the forum are looking forward to that review [thumb]

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD

* I find the wind noise surprising - a bit more than I expected. I find the road noise to be quieter than what I'm used to so far. I'm satisfied at this point. But, it's brutal winter temps and all-season tires here. Both can affect those judgements. And yes, it's a subjective measurement.

* The ride is compliant enough for what I expected. I'm used to a stiff ride. This beats that hands down. We have nasty roads around here and the now multiple weeks of frigid weather has created massive heaves, buckles, and potholes at pavement seams. I'm very OK with the "ride".

* I have no issues with the "lean". As I've implied, I've regularly driven some stiff, non-"leaning" vehicles and this holds up well. I think that judging this without disclosing your suspension settings at the time isn't helpful. I change it as I see fit.

* Steering response is good so far. Not as quick as I'm used to by quite a long shot. But I'm able to keep my hands in position on the wheel when making most turns.

* I've found (and mentioned multiple times) that FM & satellite sound quality is very disappointing. Streaming something like Spotify, Amazon Music, or your own USB device gives much better results. As measuring the bass goes, I've found satellite to be way overboosted, creating a lot more thump than it should. I don't know whether that's source or the HU doing something. It's certainly jarring moving from source to source at times, however. It's talked me into abandoning satellite (which I figured I would, already) and taking a closer look at streaming and storing music.

I feel that the bass is there. You just need a proper source. The difference in output based on source is almost shocking.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
I too have noticed this on different reviews as well. I think it kind of depends on the experience level of the reviewer and what their assumptions or preconceived notions are in comparing a KIA with other brands.

That being said, I've read the springs on the Stinger are progressive rate so there will be notable lean in, in turns but when the suspension hits the stiffer part of the spring there's no more lean and it handles great. That's what you want in a GT type car for comfort and good handling.

I get that some people like the HK stereo and others don't. I think it depends on what you like and what you're used to as everyone is different. Also seems like a lot of people have had some issues with the underseat subwoofers.

As for the road noise, you guys are right on. It depends on road surface and I'd like to add tires. Some tires are noisier than others, particularly high performance tires or some all season tires and of course all winter tires. Depends on what the tire is optimized for. The Michelin hi po tires that come with the Stinger give the car great handling and good ride quality but the trade off might be a bit of noise. That's fine with me.

Wind noise is suprising to me. I've heard some reviewers saying it's really quiet and others noisy too. Could be some are deaf and others have bionic hearing :) Do different models of Stinger have different levels of sound insulation? Less on the 4 cylinders and more on the 6 cylinders??? I thought the Stinger had triple laminated glass too but I could be wrong on that.