Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Kia Stinger rear bumper reflector LED replacement.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Kia K900 V8
Just finished installing these and love how they look.

I have a few suggestions for anyone installing these:
1. Add additional protection to the circuit board, to prevent any dirt and water from getting in from the sides, where the wires are soldered. I added hot glue to the ends as I noticed that the heat shrink wrap does not fully cover the ends of the board. After the lights are installed you will find that the board hangs low enough to have dirt and water splashed on it when it rains.

3. I noticed that the modified LED reflectors had a lot of gaps and in some places the melted plastic on the back part was not sealed properly leaving chance for water to get in and damage the electronics inside. As this parts are installed on the lowest part of the vehicle it is prone to get a lot of dust, dirt and water, so I went ahead and resealed it using hot glue.

Thanks to [MENTION=337]StingerGT[/MENTION]andMe and [MENTION=77]Paul@K8StingerStore[/MENTION] for providing all instruction and products necessary for this installation.
Thank you for your order with us, we appreciate your business. After seeing this post, it concerned me a bit, because we want to make sure the product we are selling is high quality, and is worry free for our customers for many years to come.

When I saw you suggest the need to fill a bunch of the gaps with glue to protect the circuit board, I started wondering why the manufacturer would design them like that and ship it out to us that way.

Since we have been working with exLED for many many years now, and have never had any major issues with the bumper LED lights we offer for many other Kia & Hyundai vehicles, I contacted them directly and submitted the photos you had posted, and asked them why the ciruit boards were exposed this way and if they could please seal them in the future moving forward on our future orders.

What they explained to me I will share with you below. However, the conclusion is, do not fill any of the areas around the circuit board with hot glue, as it will void your warranty with the product.

Here is the response from the manufacturer directly:

Hello,

We are sorry for the confusion, however, this products circuit board is water resistant/ waterproof, because of special electronic paste, and/or clear coatings pasted on the product.

We put shrink tube covers on top of them in the past, because you mentioned your customers seemed to be anxious or nervous about this.

However, there is no issues with dust or water damaging the product from getting onto the circuit boards of the products you have received.

Please let your customers know this, and explain to them to NOT block both holes with a glue gun as this can create a major issue or problem in the product because heat cannot escape and the circuit board cannot ventilate.

Unfortunately, in the case where a problem occurs after blocking the openings around the circuit board with a glue gun, it will be excluded from any warranty protection from us.

Regards,

exLED Mall Factory Korea

Sure! Not a problem.
Go and check it out: https://www.k8stingerstore.com/products/bumper-led-lights [twothumb]

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Great info Paul. Thanks for reaching out to the manufacturer and inquiring about this. However I would have to disagree on the circuit board getting warm when in use. I recently performed service on the car, while doing the DRL install and tested the LEDs for a long period of time and the board never felt warm to the touch.

I will be changing the oil tomorrow on it and will be testing this again. If you want I can send you photos over pm with the temps readouts.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Kia K900 V8
Great info Paul. Thanks for reaching out to the manufacturer and inquiring about this. However I would have to disagree on the circuit board getting warm when in use. I recently performed service on the car, while doing the DRL install and tested the LEDs for a long period of time and the board never felt warm to the touch.

I will be changing the oil tomorrow on it and will be testing this again. If you want I can send you photos over pm with the temps readouts.
This is David here. ;)

Welcome sir, not a problem at all.

I am not sure on that one, maybe they are referring to long-term usage, I have no idea.

There's no need to send a readout of the temperature on them, I beleive you, I am just relaying over what the manufacturer informed me of.

I wanted to make sure rest of the community saw this as well, as we have had several members ask us if they should do the same as you had done in the pics posted.

I want to make sure our customers are not voiding there warranty by doing this to try and avoid having issues down the line.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Ooops my bad....Did not know David. Well I can tell you that on the 25 mins that I had them on the circuit board never got warm. I will test tomorrow again, for a longer time and see what happens. For science you know[biggrin]