Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Kia Stinger GT: Audi A7 Contender?

Kia Stinger News

Staff Member
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
South Korea

One of the many reasons why the 365-horsepower, twin-turbocharged V-6 2018 Kia Stinger GT is so interesting is its lack of non-luxury competitors. The Chevrolet SS bit the dust, the Ford Taurus and Nissan Maxima can't keep up, and the Dodge Charger doesn't have the Stinger GT's refinement or the handling chops. To find competitors, we have to look upward. That means pitting it against a personal favorite, the 2018 Audi A7.

I know this comparison will raise eyebrows: "How can you compare a $40,000 Kia to a $70,000 Audi?" But I think the Stinger GT makes a good case for itself in a few areas; it's a closer comparison than it appears at first glance.

On paper, the two match up closely. Both have a distinctive and similar fastback profile, though the A7 has a longer rear overhang, which accounts for most of its 6 inches of additional length. However, the wheelbases of the two cars are within 0.3 inch of each other, and they have similar widths and backseat dimensions.

Engine outputs are closely aligned as well, with the Stinger GT enjoying a slight edge. Its twin-turbocharged 3.3-liter V-6 pumps out 365 hp and 376 pounds-feet of torque, which beats the A7's supercharged 3.0-liter V-6's 340 hp and 325 pounds-feet of torque.

Performance-wise, the engines are a wash for me: I love both. It takes a little longer for the Stinger GT to get into the power than the A7, but it still has plenty of kick, and the rear-wheel-drive version loves to get loose when you punch the throttle. The A7's supercharged V-6 counters with immediate responsiveness and acceleration that's appreciated in such a large vehicle. Both come with eight-speed automatic transmissions and can be had with all-wheel drive. The Stinger GT is offered in rear- and all-wheel-drive configurations, while the A7 has standard Quattro all-wheel drive.

One area where the Stinger GT has an advantage over the A7 is weight. RWD models weigh 3,829 pounds and AWD versions are 4,023 pounds, both of which undercut the A7's 4,244 pounds. The Stinger GT's weight advantage and steering tuning (the A7 feels a little over-boosted and light) meant that I preferred the Kia in the bends.

Engine outputs are closely aligned as well, with the Stinger GT enjoying a slight edge. Its twin-turbocharged 3.3-liter V-6 pumps out 365 hp and 376 pounds-feet of torque, which beats the A7's supercharged 3.0-liter V-6's 340 hp and 325 pounds-feet of torque.

Performance-wise, the engines are a wash for me: I love both. It takes a little longer for the Stinger GT to get into the power than the A7, but it still has plenty of kick, and the rear-wheel-drive version loves to get loose when you punch the throttle. The A7's supercharged V-6 counters with immediate responsiveness and acceleration that's appreciated in such a large vehicle. Both come with eight-speed automatic transmissions and can be had with all-wheel drive. The Stinger GT is offered in rear- and all-wheel-drive configurations, while the A7 has standard Quattro all-wheel drive.

One area where the Stinger GT has an advantage over the A7 is weight. RWD models weigh 3,829 pounds and AWD versions are 4,023 pounds, both of which undercut the A7's 4,244 pounds. The Stinger GT's weight advantage and steering tuning (the A7 feels a little over-boosted and light) meant that I preferred the Kia in the bends.

Read more on Cars.com.