Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Snow Tires vs Summer Tires

edrum

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2019 Stinger GT Limited AWD
I got my Stinger in early November when KIA offered a free set of Winters (Pirelli's). I need them here with a number of tight corners on the way to work that get packed down - the first time on my summers I lost the back-end for 20 feet which was a bit harrowing. Great traction with the winters on now.

Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 KIA STINGER AWD GT1
My summer tires "failed" in frigid temps. Let me explain (and I consider myself lucky). I parked on some snow, in gravel, maybe 2-3 inches, I guess there was some ice, and it was on a very slight slope, but very slight. I parked very close to my wooden privacy fence, to test out the parking sensors and for fun. E-brake on, in park, got out, locked up and walked away to stand nearby for five minutes or so.

I heard a sound, my heart sank, the car slid into the fence, but luckily it only moved about 2-3 inches because I parked so close, and luckily the fence held without any damage, and luckily I didn't have a front plate on yet, and it just barely touched the plastic plate holder area - literally no damage, but a SIGN, a WARNING from the motor-gods. I took it to heart and ordered a set of winters. Eff that noise.

I guess the heat from driving warmed the snow enough to melt, then ice and there was zero traction once it was ice. I also know there is zero traction on icy surfaces from driving it, but parking on bumpy gravel in the icy snow on only a slight incline was what did me in. I absolutely do not trust my summer tires in the cold and ice.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
E46, ZE132, C6Z06, Z34, GSX30, CKGT
I have experienced that several times. My driveway is steep enough, when coated with ice, to cause sliding with parking brake engaged. With the service brake engaged, it would stay still, but when only 2 tires were braked, it would slide.